Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2007, 09:25 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,024,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfush View Post
I don't believe in such polls because what makes a place a good city is so subjective. Polls really are a joke. Polls and rankings are really marketing gimmicks to sell magazines. Pathetic.
This is perhaps the smartest, most insightful point made in this entire thread.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:43 AM

167 posts, read 268,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Yeah, and every single San Diegoan I've met hates SD. It can go either way. I'd trade beaches and sunshine any day for culture, friendliness, liveliness, urbanity, and history. I've been to SoCal, thought I loved it, until I came back to NY. When you get back here you realize what you've been missing. You get back here and you feel so alive. The West Coast is so dead, laid back, and boring for a city dweller like myself. I need energy, culture, food, activity, excitement. SoCal is good for a vacation, but after that it's time to escape from lala land and head back to civilization.
You're delusional.

First of all, it's "San Diegans", not "San Diegoan". Second of all, San Diegans adore their town like crazy. Don't know what you're talking about. Sorry.

Any sane person without an East Coast bias will tell you that Los Angeles, California, and the entire West Coast have more than just beaches and sunshine. I still think you're in no position to speak about the West Coast, as you've hardly been here. Culture? Puh-leaze. I doubt you even know what culture is. Friendliness? Based on experience and what I've heard from family members, Boston and NYC have some of the rudest cab-drivers. We even got ripped off once by this Boston cab-driver. He took a longer route than was necessary just so he could command a higher fare. Then once we arrived at our stop, he, right in front of our eyes, increased the fare by tampering with the little box that tells you what the fare is. Yup. Reeeaaall friendly. We found Bostonians to be rude. Urbanity? San Francisco is more urban than any major East Coast city with the exception of NYC. History? Plenty of history here. The remainder of your post shows you to have an uneducated and biased point-of-view. Like always, zero credibility.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
If I wanted palm trees, sunshine, beaches, and scenery, I could hop on a plane and head to Honolulu, Cape Town, or Maui. Chicago is unique, but I can find San Diego in Honolulu and Cape Town.
If I wanted "character" I would go to London and if I wanted world-class museums I would head to Paris.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:54 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,562,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
You're delusional.

First of all, it's "San Diegans", not "San Diegoan". Second of all, San Diegans adore their town like crazy. Don't know what you're talking about. Sorry.

Any sane person without an East Coast bias will tell you that Los Angeles, California, and the entire West Coast have more than just beaches and sunshine. I still think you're in no position to speak about the West Coast, as you've hardly been here. Culture? Puh-leaze. I doubt you even know what culture is. Friendliness? Based on experience and what I've heard from family members, Boston and NYC have some of the rudest cab-drivers. We even got ripped off once by this Boston cab-driver. He took a longer route than was necessary just so he could command a higher fare. Then once we arrived at our stop, he, right in front of our eyes, increased the fare by tampering with the little box that tells you what the fare is. Yup. Reeeaaall friendly. We found Bostonians to be rude. Urbanity? San Francisco is more urban than any major East Coast city with the exception of NYC. History? Plenty of history here. The remainder of your post shows you to have an uneducated and biased point-of-view. Like always, zero credibility.
Calling someone delsuional is totally uncalled for. Grow up. Every San Diegan that he has encountered hates the city, just like every Chicagoan you meet hates Chicago. They probably don't speak for their cities.
You are seriously basing your opinion of Boston on a cab driver? Tell me how that isn't biased? Come on. There are friendly people everywhere, there are poor cab drivers that hike up fares everywhere also. Uneducated and biased. You don't win arguments by name-calling buster.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Calling someone delsuional is totally uncalled for. Grow up. Every San Diegan that he has encountered hates the city, just like every Chicagoan you meet hates Chicago. They probably don't speak for their cities.
You are seriously basing your opinion of Boston on a cab driver? Tell me how that isn't biased? Come on. There are friendly people everywhere, there are poor cab drivers that hike up fares everywhere also. Uneducated and biased. You don't win arguments by name-calling buster.
I have every right to call FutureCop delusional. He bashes Los Angeles 24/7, yet he admits that he has been here ONCE and only to the Marina Del Rey part of the city. No one should bash a certain city unless they've had adequate experience with it, which FutureCop hasn't. Anyone who thinks the West Coast has only beaches and sunshine to offer is delusional. Period.

Huh? Don't put words in my mouth. Every Chicagoan I've met LOVES Chicago like crazy.

I'm not basing my opinion of Boston on a cab-driver. Where did I ever say that? So there are fake people everywhere as well...Los Angeles isn't the only city with "fake people." Some people on here are just amazing. There's a double standard for some cities.

Old 09-02-2007, 01:45 PM

/\Sorry, I think I confused you with someone else regrding Chicago. No hard feelings.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:45 PM

718 posts, read 2,688,414 times
I think the scariest part is this guy wants to either a) be a cop or b) serve his country. I don't think people like that should be able to have guns..

Old 09-02-2007, 06:25 PM

Who? Me?
ten character rule

Old 09-03-2007, 03:48 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,207,904 times
No, Minny. FutureCop. FutureCop, where are you?

Old 09-03-2007, 12:08 PM

101 posts, read 329,782 times
People from SD don't hate the place at all, we all love it here. The people who 'hate' SD are most likely just sick of the place. One trip to, say, Vegas or a road trip up to NoCal and we're probably homesick. Even I get sick of San Diego, but I've been here all my life, and so have many of us minus the military brats and newer residents. It's like living in any place for your entire life-- you eventually need a break. However, it's always going to be home because your memories and familiarities with that particular place remains in the hometown.

Many people in this forum seem rather delusional. You can't exactly have an accurate set of statistics based on your experience (which is most likely biased statistics, therefore null and void). I suggest many of you, especially the young ones, reserve your judgement of any place in the world until you get the opportunity to travel and have an in depth look of the places you praise/talk trash about. Maybe take a trip to all corners of Africa, because I'm sure many of you have the wrong idea about the continent (not country).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.