Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 05:43 AM

234 posts, read 1,157,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_r2z0 View Post
I think you are talking about Vegas, the most visited US city?

nahhh read the list again. LA should be in 1st place. vegas has 38.9 visitors while LA has 58.6 visitors. dont bite my head off im reading the facts

America's 30 Most Visited Cities

1. Las Vegas, Nev.
38.9 million visitors; 40 million rooms sold. Total weighted score: 4.48
2. Los Angeles, Calif.
58.6 million (25.4 million overnight + 33.2 estimated day visitors); 25.5 million rooms sold; score: 4.22
3. Orlando, Fla.
47.8 million visitors; 27.2 million rooms sold; score: 3.90
4. New York City, N.Y.
44 million visitors; 23.9 million rooms sold; score: 3.52
5. Chicago, Ill.
41.3 million (2005); 24.8 million rooms sold; score 3.47
6. Washington, D.C. metro area
36.9 million; 22.8 million rooms; score: 3.15
7. Atlanta, Ga.
37 million visitors; 21.5 million rooms sold; score: 3.05
8. San Diego, Calif.
32.2 million visitors (2005); 14.2 million rooms sold; score: 2.33
9. Houston, TX
31 million; 14.5 million rooms sold; score: 2.31
10. Dallas, TX
22.3 million visitors (2005); 15.9 million rooms sold; score: 2.05
11. Philadelphia, Pa.
27.7 million (2005); 10.2 million rooms sold; score: 1.86
12. Phoenix, Ariz.
21.7 million (12 million overnight plus 9.7 estimated day visitors); 13.1 million rooms sold; score: 1.75
13. Anaheim, Calif.
18.4 million visitors; 13.9 million rooms sold; score 1.61 (tie)
13. San Francisco, Calif.
15.8 million visitors; 13.4 million rooms sold; score: 1.61 (tie)
13. Miami, Fla.
19.7 million (11.6 million overnight + 8.1 estimated day visitors): 11.2 million rooms sold; score: 1.61 (tie)
16. Boston, Mass.
17.6 million (2005); 11.7 million rooms sold; score 1.56
17. San Antonio, TX
20 million; 8.3 million rooms sold; score: 1.41
18. St. Louis, Mo.
20.3 million visitors; 7.9 million rooms sold; score: 1.39
19. Tampa Bay, Fla.
16.9 million visitors; 9.6 million rooms sold; score: 1.38
20. Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minn.
18.3 million visitors; 8.3 million rooms sold; score: 1.34
21. Seattle, Wash.
15.7 million (9.4 million overnight visitors + 6.3 estimated day visitors); 9.4 million rooms sold; score: 1.32
22. Indianapolis, Ind.
21.7 million visitors (2005); 6 million rooms sold; score: 1.31
23. Detroit, Mich.
15.9 million visitors; 8.3 million rooms sold; score: 1.24
24. Austin, TX
19 million visitors; 6.4 million rooms sold; score: 1.23
25. Denver, Colo.
14.5 million (11.7 million overnight visitors + 2.8 estimated day visitors); 8.7 million rooms sold; score: 1.22
26. Charlotte, N.C.
16.6 million visitors (2005); 6.9 million rooms sold; score: 1.17
27. Nashville, Tenn.
13.5 million (10.5 million overnight visitors + 3 million estimated day visitors); 8 million rooms sold; score: 1.12 (tie)
27. Kansas City, Mo.-Kan.
16.5 million visitors; 6.3 million rooms sold; score: 1.12 (tie)
29. Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
12.3 million (10.4 million overnight visitors + 1.9 estimated day visitors); 7 million rooms sold; score: 1.00
30. Baltimore, Md.
12 million visitors; 6.6 million rooms sold; score: 0.99

http://www.forbestraveler.com/2007/0...701_story.html (http://www.forbestraveler.com/2007/07/07072701_story.html - broken link)

Old 09-05-2007, 07:45 AM

84 posts, read 86,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Jolie and Pitt are together, doing the same thing... and adoption is NOT a new concept. Maybe it is for LA, but for the rest of the world, saving kids from war-torn/disease--ridden countries is old news.

As for DiCrappy-o, hes just another Gore wanna-be. Big deal. Jump on the bandwagon there, Leo!

The point is, just because a handful of folks from Hollywood adopt kids or raise global-warming awareness, doesnt make the rest of the industry any better. Same goes for the throngs of Hollister-wearing, BMW-driving, cell-phone-jabbin, I-wanna-be-Britney-Spears-so-bad crowd....
Your attempt to say that Southern California is filled with nothing but Brit and Pairs lovers, is about as false as saying that there are no mall zombies, or commercial people within the boundaries of Chicagoland. What? Is it a requirement that to live in Chicago you have to join the Peace Corp now. I don't think so! Ok. So you have Oprah. Well she might have her show in Chicago, but she calls S. cali home. That leaves you with.....hmm... Jerry Springer. Now talk about someone who cares what else happens in the world. Yeah, real classy.

San Diego is one of the most giving cities in the nation, and most of those glitzy LA parties with the stars go towards charity. Don't knock us because people are flocking here, and not to Chicago. The agravation of Chicago residents on this site, towards other cities is so obvious it is almost comical. Face it! Chicago can have all of that 'culture' and 'architecture' it wants in its sprawling city. But when it comes down to it, people are not moving there based upon that. I have never heard a single soul say, "Hey! Let's move to Chicago so we ca be closer to the Hancock Building." That isn't real. Most people move there because their job tranfers them, or they have family nearby. That is real! But in San Diego you don't find that. People live here because they love it. That is the truth! You can live every stage of you life here, and be very happy. Millions are doing just that.

Are you going to tell me that nonone in Chicago reads People, Seventeen, or any of those other self absorbed magazines. I find that most people here realy don't care what happens in BevHills. I know that I don't, and very few of the people I know do either. Chicago is the midwest king, but you are in way over yuor head if you think that no other city in America can stand up to Chicago. San Diego might not have as much Chicago defined 'culture' but there is a reason people are moving here by the thousands, and not to Chicago.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:51 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarshield View Post
So you have Oprah. Well she might have her show in Chicago, but she calls S. cali home.
She has a huge penthouse in Chicago too.

And of course Chicagoland has tons of mallrats and little wanna-be Lindsay Lohans. Im willing to bet because of the crap theyre fed from LA (ie mags, TV, etc).

And its apparent you know nothing about Chicago, or else you wouldnt open your mouth and let the spew fly. There are more residential towers going up in Chicago alone than there probably is in all of CA. So yes, Chicago is trendy, dont be jealous that we have a phenomonal downtown that people actually, you know, want to live in. LAs downtown has always been absolutely unimpressive, everyone knows that. And its surrounded by hardcore ghetto barrio. I dont blame most people for not wanting to live there.

Dont cry in your beer now:
//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...cago-boom.html

Last edited by Steve-o; 09-05-2007 at 09:00 AM..

Old 09-05-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
All you have to do in Chicago? And I suppose San Diego is some amazing city with great nightlife. Someone from San Diego has no room to talk about things to do. Chicago has a beautiful lakefront, and not far from it, in Michigan, you have 400 foot tall sand dunes overlooking the lake. SD is cool, no worries, but you can't seriously compare it to Chicago. I mean, come on. Get over yourself.

The quality of life in Chicago is much better than SD. SD is too overpriced, the average home price is a hell of a lot more than Chicago's. Chicago offers so much more. You can go into world-class museums, restaurants, shopping stores, districts. Where in SD can you experience that? If I wanted palm trees, sunshine, beaches, and scenery, I could hop on a plane and head to Honolulu, Cape Town, or Maui. Chicago is unique, but I can find San Diego in Honolulu and Cape Town.
When did I ever say that SD had more stuff to do than Chicago. I'm not that dumb to put up that kind of argument. But most of the stuff you mentioned that makes Chicago great isn't even in Illinois, let alone Chicago. San Diego is a great American city, and even though there isn't much nightlife as Chicago, the quality of life is the best in the nation. Why does that seem to suprise you? Chicago has one of the highest rates in the nation, of every negative a city can have. How does that equal great quality of life again? Just because a place has some museum, doesn't mean that it makes the city worthwhile. Do you think that the avergae citizen of Chi-Town visits those locations on a daily basis. Um. NO! If that was the case then New York, and DC would be sofar ahead of the rest of the country no one could ever catch up.

Chicago is unique, and SD isn't? Where do you get that. Chicago is the cheaper, smaller version of NYC. Nothing more. Ok, go on and complain about how expensive SD is. So isn't LA, Seattle, San Fran, Portland, Phoenix, Las Vegas etc. That is just West. Same goes for East. Higher home prices show that it has something worthwhile because everyone wants a piece. Simple economics.

First off, Maui is in Honolulu so they are going to be alike. You must never have been to SD if you think that it is the same as some island city that used to be its own country.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:

And of course Chicagoland has tons of mallrats and little wanna-be Lindsay Lohans. Im willing to bet because of the crap theyre fed from LA (ie mags, TV, etc).

And its apparent you know nothing about Chicago, or else you wouldnt open your mouth and let the spew fly. There are more residential towers going up in Chicago alone than there probably is in all of CA. So yes, Chicago is trendy, dont be jealous that we have a phenomonal downtown that people actually, you know, want to live in. LAs downtown has always been absolutely unimpressive, everyone knows that. And its surrounded by hardcore ghetto barrio. I dont blame most people for not wanting to live there.

You keep talking a big game about some 'Chicago Boom.' Numbers suggest otherwise. Chicago might as well be the personification of white flight. Again, that is not a secret. Except it.

Yeah, LA has problems. I'm not a big LA fan either. But lets not forget that the whole south, southwest, and even some of the closer nothsides are nothing but ghetto in Chicago. I have heard the stories from people that used to live in the subs.

But just because you are having a slight boom in your downtown, doesn't mean that the city is that great. Why then is Chicagoland almost sprawled out four counties to its west? (Imagine we won't get an answer to that question!) That doesn't quite fit your story that people love Chicago. Like I said. Have the culture. I can fly there in four hours and have it if I wanted to. The quality of life in San Diego can't be touched in Chicago unless you make seven figures.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:

Wow, that spriral thing makes me want to visit for sure! That is supposed to be the tallets building in America. YUCK!! Kinda sad. You would think that Chicago would let NYC have that honor considering what the people of that city had to to endure six years ago. Very classy! What has Chicago had to endure??! That's right, they are just more consumed with LA media, than LA is! Poor things!

Those people may pay the big price to live in those places, but I hope they have the money to send their kids to private schools. Chicago's are the worst in the nation. Also, I hope they are willing to wear bullet proof vests, out of the top big cities, Chicago leads by a long shot, compared to NYC and LA.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
You keep talking a big game about some 'Chicago Boom.' Numbers suggest otherwise. Chicago might as well be the personification of white flight. Again, that is not a secret. Except it.

Yeah, LA has problems. I'm not a big LA fan either. But lets not forget that the whole south, southwest, and even some of the closer nothsides are nothing but ghetto in Chicago. I have heard the stories from people that used to live in the subs.

But just because you are having a slight boom in your downtown, doesn't mean that the city is that great. Why then is Chicagoland almost sprawled out four counties to its west? (Imagine we won't get an answer to that question!) That doesn't quite fit your story that people love Chicago. Like I said. Have the culture. I can fly there in four hours and have it if I wanted to. The quality of life in San Diego can't be touched in Chicago unless you make seven figures.
How old are you? Just curious because theres no way youd be saying what youre saying unless youve never even been out of your own bedroom before.

Chicago is not experiencing white flight, genius. In fact its the opposite, most "bad" areas are quickly gentrifying, and the city is seeing in influx of people moving back to the city. On top of it all most suburbs are experiencing massive growth, several of them are some of the fastest growing in the nation.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Wow, that spriral thing makes me want to visit for sure! That is supposed to be the tallets building in America. YUCK!! Kinda sad. You would think that Chicago would let NYC have that honor considering what the people of that city had to to endure six years ago. Very classy! What has Chicago had to endure??! That's right, they are just more consumed with LA media, than LA is! Poor things!

Those people may pay the big price to live in those places, but I hope they have the money to send their kids to private schools. Chicago's are the worst in the nation. Also, I hope they are willing to wear bullet proof vests, out of the top big cities, Chicago leads by a long shot, compared to NYC and LA.
Chicago's architecture has always been daring, and often voted the best in the nation. The Spire is indeed different and very daring, I think it will fit right in. They also said the Sears Tower and Hancock were too different back in the day, now theyre part of the skyline fabric that makes the downtown so beautiful. And FYI, NYC has a supertall also planned called the Freedom Tower that is as tall, if not taller, than the Spire.

Sure Chicago's schools leave something to be desired, but if youre now picking on schools out of desperation, trying to pinpoint any and all of Chicago's shortcomings, then look no further than Los Mexico, er Angeles, their schools are horribly pitiful too.

Im so tired of this argument, its cyclical and annoying. Anyone agree?

Old 09-05-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
How old are you? Just curious because theres no way youd be saying what youre saying unless youve never even been out of your own bedroom before.

Chicago is not experiencing white flight, genius. In fact its the opposite, most "bad" areas are quickly gentrifying, and the city is seeing in influx of people moving back to the city. On top of it all most suburbs are experiencing massive growth, several of them are some of the fastest growing in the nation.
OK. Stating that the mtro area is growing does not make the city great. In fact it is the opposite. You are saying that the suburbs are better than the city. Well, that just helps my argument out completely. People that move to San Diego move into the city, most do not stay very long in the subs. If a metro is growing, that clearly shows problems with the main city. DUH!

I'm 25, and have been up and down the eastern and western areas more times than I am sure you have. Maybe you should move out of Illinois to get a reall mainstream perspective?

Old 09-05-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
OK. Stating that the mtro area is growing does not make the city great. In fact it is the opposite. You are saying that the suburbs are better than the city. Well, that just helps my argument out completely. People that move to San Diego move into the city, most do not stay very long in the subs. If a metro is growing, that clearly shows problems with the main city. DUH!

I'm 25, and have been up and down the eastern and western areas more times than I am sure you have. Maybe you should move out of Illinois to get a reall mainstream perspective?
Chicago is a great city, with many cons just like every city has (hey, hows that beach riot going in San Diego? ). Im sure many love Chicago just as much as people love San Diego. You should be comparing San Diego to places like Tucson, not Chicago. Chicago is head and shoulders above San Diego and not even comparable. Give it a rest, youre outgunned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.