Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 03:09 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,233 times

Advertisements

California contains the greatest number of native species and the greatest number of endemic species in the United States. There are about 6,272 native plant taxa, with 2,153 endemics, 51 native species of amphibians, 84 native species of reptiles, 433 regularly-occurring bird species, 197 native mammal species, and 67 native freshwater fish species, to name just the vertebrates ( Source: Atlas of the Biodiversity of California ).
http://www.nbii.gov/portal/server.pt/community/animals_and_plants/965 (broken link)

Animals endemic to CA:
Category:Endemic fauna of California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Catalina Island has at least 50 endemic species and subspecies, including six plants, five mammals, three birds and a number of invertebrates. There are also several undescribed species that may end up qualifying as endemic as well. A partial list of the most common endemic species is below:
MAMMALS
Catalina Beechey ground squirrel (Spermophilus beecheyi nesioticus)
Santa Catalina Island fox (Urocyon littoralis catalinae)
Santa Catalina Island deer mouse (Peromyscus maniculatus catalinae)
Santa Catalina Island harvest mouse (Reithrodontomys megalotis catalinae)
Santa Catalina Island shrew (Sorex ornatus willetti)
BIRDS
Bewick’s wren (Thryomanes bewickii catalinae)
Catalina California quail (Callipepla californica catalinensis)
Catalina Hutton’s vireo (Vireo huttoni unitti)
INVERTEBRATES
Avalon hairstreak butterfly (Strymon avalona)
Scarab beetle (Coenonycha clypeata)
Scarab beetle (Coenonycha fulva)
Scarab beetle (Phobetus ciliatus)
Scarab beetle (Serica catalina)
Catalina Walkingstick (Pseudosermyle catalina)
Catalina shield-back cricket (Neduba propsti)
Catalina orangetip butterfly (Anthocharis cethura catalina)
Catalina Island Conservancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 06:18 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times
Yeah I guess California would be more than Hawaii. Hawaii just entered my mind because its away from other places and an island chain.

I guess my birth-state of Arkansas has

Arkansas fatmucket and the Speckled pocketbook - Kinds of mussel, mollusks.
Hell Creek Crayfish and another kind of crayfish.
Magazine Mountain middle-toothed snail

Arkansas was place that had a reported sighting of the ivory-billed woodpecker that gained news attention, even being referenced in an episode of Grey's Anatomy. However I guess there's been no further sightings and reason to doubt that one. In fact I guess it's plausible that was a mis-identification.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:55 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
Gators= SE US
American crocodiles= S FL

Old 10-14-2011, 09:31 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
...Arkansas was place that had a reported sighting of the ivory-billed woodpecker that gained news attention, even being referenced in an episode of Grey's Anatomy. However I guess there's been no further sightings and reason to doubt that one. In fact I guess it's plausible that was a mis-identification.
oh...is that what that was! I thought it was just a red-headed chicken...oops.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:40 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Gators= SE US
American crocodiles= S FL
we have gators along the gulf coast too
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post
I'm suprised you didn't mention nutria. That odd looking rodent is pretty well confined to Louisiana I think.
Nutria is found in Texas too

Old 10-14-2011, 10:58 PM

963 posts, read 2,409,462 times
Nutria are an introduced species - originally from South America, and they are - or have the potential to - spread into other Southeastern states. No one realized how invasive they could be when they were first introduced, which of course is true for several plant species as well: guavas are native to Central and South America, but have gone wild in parts of Florida and Hawaii and are considered a pest plant, and kudzu, which is native to Japan, but has run rampant across much of the American Southeast (isolated pockets of it have been found as far away from the Southeast as Oregon, and it has spread northward on the East Coast of the US as well).

Old 10-15-2011, 09:06 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,815 times
In Arizona:

Coati or coatimundi and ringtail cats, relatives of the raccoon.

Jaguar, there have been several sightings in southern AZ in the last 15 years. Researchers say it was only two and they probably only crossed to hunt so it's a stretch but they're here.

The Gila Monster, one of the two largest lizards in North America, who both happen to be venomous. It's the only one in the US.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:25 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,811,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
In Arizona:

Coati or coatimundi and ringtail cats, relatives of the raccoon.

Jaguar, there have been several sightings in southern AZ in the last 15 years. Researchers say it was only two and they probably only crossed to hunt so it's a stretch but they're here.
Arizona Intentionally Snared Last Jaguar, Inquiry Finds - NYTimes.com

The Gila Monster, one of the two largest lizards in North America, who both happen to be venomous. It's the only one in the US.
Eastern Arizona and New Mexico I believe are the only states that have breeding populations of Mexican Grey Wolves after reintroduction in the 1990's.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:37 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,950,161 times
Here are some that are very place specific:

Allegheny Wood Rat- Western PA
Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake- Southern Ontario (Bruce Penninsula)
Snail Darter - the Deleware River (famously so)
Bull Trout- Lake Superior
California Condor - California (if they still exist at all?)

Others less specific:

Roosevelt Elk- Northern Pacific Coast
Blacktail Deer- Northern Pacific Coast
Pine Marten- Northern Rockies (and other parts of the world)
Spotted Bass- Tennessee/Kentucky

Old 10-15-2011, 01:41 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,950,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Eastern Arizona and New Mexico I believe are the only states that have breeding populations of Mexican Grey Wolves after reintroduction in the 1990's.
How about the Kaibab Squirrel, found only in the Kaibab National Forest and the Northern Rim of the Grand Canyon (an area of about 100 sq. miles).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.