Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 07:31 PM

8 posts, read 15,779 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in Austin and have found that all the talk about a good job market is crap. What US cities are the best for entry level jobs that require no experience? I'm very close to having an MA in a liberal arts field. I also want there to be as little competition for these jobs as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 08:36 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,859,818 times
So you moved to Austin/Texas without a job lined up first?

Who's fault is that?

Old 10-15-2011, 08:40 PM

679 posts, read 658,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewinAustin View Post
I'm currently in Austin and have found that all the talk about a good job market is crap. What US cities are the best for entry level jobs that require no experience? I'm very close to having an MA in a liberal arts field. I also want there to be as little competition for these jobs as possible.
I have bad news for you, there are none.

Learn how to network.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:04 PM

37,795 posts, read 41,511,906 times
Quote:
This isn't rocket science; Austin is more of a high tech city.

Good luck with finding a job right now with a liberal arts degree. With no experience, you're going to have lots of competition wherever you go with the economy being the way it is.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:16 PM

26,851 posts, read 43,324,756 times
Quote:
Yeah, that forgot to mention all the positive job growth in Austin calls upon the ability to operate a cash register and talk into a drive-thru intercom simultaneously.

I would perhaps NOT start in areas where the young/progressive are flocking to, the usual suspects like NY, DC, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, blahblah. Instead I would recommend perhaps checking out thriving medium-sized cities that tend to fall under the bi-coastal radar. Some examples of cities not overrun by new graduates are Omaha which has a 4.6% unemployment rate, Oklahoma City is at 5.0%, Des Moines is at 5.9%, Tulsa is at 6.0%, Minneapolis-St Paul is at 6.7%, Salt Lake City is at 7.4%, Pittsburgh is at 7.8% and Cleveland is at 8.0%. Bear in mind the national average is now above 9.0%. Good luck!

Old 10-15-2011, 10:28 PM

8 posts, read 15,779 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
So you moved to Austin/Texas without a job lined up first?

Who's fault is that?
I moved from San Marcos to Austin while finishing a Master Thesis for Texas State, that isn't exactly the same as moving cross country without a job,

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Yeah, that forgot to mention all the positive job growth in Austin calls upon the ability to operate a cash register and talk into a drive-thru intercom simultaneously.

I would perhaps NOT start in areas where the young/progressive are flocking to, the usual suspects like NY, DC, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, blahblah. Instead I would recommend perhaps checking out thriving medium-sized cities that tend to fall under the bi-coastal radar. Some examples of cities not overrun by new graduates are Omaha which has a 4.6% unemployment rate, Oklahoma City is at 5.0%, Des Moines is at 5.9%, Tulsa is at 6.0%, Minneapolis-St Paul is at 6.7%, Salt Lake City is at 7.4%, Pittsburgh is at 7.8% and Cleveland is at 8.0%. Bear in mind the national average is now above 9.0%. Good luck!
Thanks so much for the good advice. Omaha may not be an ideal place to live, but a 4.6% unemployment rate sounds good.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:37 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,105,780 times
Bar tender or waiter in NOLA.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:08 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,355,194 times
Have you thought about doing a PhD and going into academia? Are you dead-set on a 9-5 job?

If you just want a job, they're desperate to hire workers (in all industries) in Williston, North Dakota, because of the oil boom. The problem will be finding housing -- there is virtually none, and anything you will find will be absurdly expensive. You could also try smaller Midwestern cities like Marshall, MN (3.5% U.E. rate) and Mankato, MN (5.0% U.E. rate). There isn't a lot to do in these towns compared to large cities, but you'll be able to get a job.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:30 AM

92,059 posts, read 122,237,106 times
Perhaps places like Sioux Falls SD, Fargo ND, Cheyenne WY or major college towns.

You could also try metros in Upstate NY. All of them are under the national average in unemployment and in terms of overall cost of living. This is the case while there are also some up and coming/trendy areas in most of the metros and are close to world class cities in the US and Canada. If you like nature and the outdoors, there are plenty of options within a pretty short drive. This might help: Central New York Jobs

New York's Creative Core

Here's some more good info.: Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Old 10-16-2011, 12:35 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,695,279 times
If you are ambivilent to location. Look everywhere, wherever you gain experience that meets your background best will open up future doors. Why limit to a city with opportunities and look for the opportunity and let that dicate the city if you have no real preference on location to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.