Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 09:06 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,527,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Hey, I spent most of Saturday in the yard as well, along with a bunch of yard work today. The icy wind cutting to the bone was missing here as well... what do you know. I didn't even have to put on a jacket or anything other than a long sleeve shirt most of December and so far most of January.

At least we get to be outside and enjoy the summer months without being locked away in an AC'ed car, house, business, etc.... Wow, 12 months of being able to enjoy the outdoors where I live without being either too hot or too cold. Winter sports and outdoor activities in the winter, and summer stuff in the summer. Much more interesting that being stuck with just summer stuff to get bored with after a while all year.
And now for your extended forecast:

[SIZE=3]http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Grand+Rapids+MI+USMI0344[/SIZE]

Its nice you've been able to enjoy non-seasonable weather, but that is, by definition, an aberration. Its 37 degree colder on average. I've got snow 90 minutes away and I've only had to shovel a driveway when visiting relatives. There is a correlation of exposure to sunshine with vitamin D and overall health. Extended periods of time without exposure to sun is not a good thing. Lack of sunny days does not necessarily describe Western Michigan, but cold certainly reduces the incentive to, eg, walk purposefully slowly back to one's car.

Summer? It amzes me so many folks don't realize coastal CA rarely receives oppressive heat, much less suffocating humidity. The average July high Grand Rapids is actually one degree HIGHER than Long Beach (but three lower in August). This last year was the first time I've ever lived in place with AC in my life. I've used it once.

Last edited by nslander; 01-10-2012 at 09:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 09:20 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,485,893 times
San Diego
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Santa Barbara
San Luis Obispo

Old 01-10-2012, 09:26 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,820,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
The Midwest doesn't have summers. I have been there in June and it was in the 40s. No thanks!! Lol. I'm in Tampa and it must be 80 degrees outside with bright sunlight. I'm going outside to enjoy myself. Lol
Read a book!

Old 01-10-2012, 09:28 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,820,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Yeah, but you have to wear all that stuff so you won't, you know, die. Sucks, but that's a small price to play when you live in weather paradises like Boston and Cleveland, lmao.
Do most people in LA think the way you do?

Old 01-10-2012, 09:45 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,300,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
What a stupid post. "Midwest doesn't have summers" LOL I guess all those 80+ degree days were just a figment of EVERYBODIES imagination. Here (http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/scottville-mi/49454/july-weather/338778?year=2011 - broken link) is what summers are really like for those who want the truth. Shoot even April only had 11 days 49 degrees or under for the Month.

I was outside all day myself as well enjoying the sunny cloudless day and temps about 50... 80 in Jan is too damn hot. The summers are miserable down there, too hot and far too humid,
Those temperatures are NOT "Summer" temperatures! Holy freezing hell it falls into the 50s most nights of JULY!? And only goes above 85 degrees TWICE??

No no no. That is not a Summer. A Summer is where you have 85-95 degree weather for at least two months. Where you can put on as few cloths as possible and go to a beach/pool/jogging/biking/etc. It looks like that town only gets into the 70s most days of the Summer. Hardly beach weather. lol.

No wonder Michigan lost population this past census.

I'll be fair and admit that Florida has some brutal Summers. I think I remember reading that Tampa accumulates about 100 days a year of temperatures over 90 degrees. It does get pretty draining by the time September hits. But I would take that over never being to walk around without a sweater handy.

Last edited by CravingMountains; 01-10-2012 at 10:23 PM..

Old 01-10-2012, 10:43 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,357,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Do most people in LA think the way you do?
I don't buy the "I love 4 seasons" rhetoric. Cleveland's winters rival Chicago's for brutality, that's a top 5 ideal climate? If you say so.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 01-10-2012 at 10:57 PM..

Old 01-11-2012, 05:03 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,241,960 times
I live in DC and the only reason I have a place in Miami is because of the weather, I can deal with warm far better than the cold. With heat there is no need for extra clothing, no need to special tires, driving slower, defrosting the car, heating the car, shoveling snow, watching where you step/slippery sidewalks, frigid rain water. Although after getting to Miami I found much more about the city that I like other than the weather but still, many like myself move for warmer weather. Not many cases known of people moving from LA, Miami, Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, New Orleans to the frigid areas to escape 'warm weather'. Four season talk, while autumn and spring are naturally gorgeous is silly because the climate sucks IMO. However all are entitled to their opinions

Last edited by Slyman11; 01-11-2012 at 05:28 AM..

Old 01-11-2012, 06:43 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,707,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
And now for your extended forecast:

[SIZE=3]http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Grand+Rapids+MI+USMI0344[/SIZE]

Its nice you've been able to enjoy non-seasonable weather, but that is, by definition, an aberration. Its 37 degree colder on average. I've got snow 90 minutes away and I've only had to shovel a driveway when visiting relatives. There is a correlation of exposure to sunshine with vitamin D and overall health. Extended periods of time without exposure to sun is not a good thing. Lack of sunny days does not necessarily describe Western Michigan, but cold certainly reduces the incentive to, eg, walk purposefully slowly back to one's car.

Summer? It amzes me so many folks don't realize coastal CA rarely receives oppressive heat, much less suffocating humidity. The average July high Grand Rapids is actually one degree HIGHER than Long Beach (but three lower in August). This last year was the first time I've ever lived in place with AC in my life. I've used it once.

Yes it is warmer than the average, but only about 10 degrees warmer than normal for this time of year. I never said it wasn't, what was said was that someone was outside last week and didn't have the cold, bitter wind... to which I replied that we didn't have it either. As for Grand Rapids weather, I really don't care, GR is 90 miles from where I am and usually has slightly different weather. It amazes me that people don't understand that the Great Lakes also affect the weather. What I DO know from being out in your area is that while Long Beach and areas right on the coast may be cooler in the Summer, you only have to drive a few short miles inland to find that oppressive heat.

What I was trying to point out was that the winters are not as extreme here as people try to make them out to be. And that we DO get nice summer temps as well. A true 4 seasons without any one of them dominating.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Those temperatures are NOT "Summer" temperatures! Holy freezing hell it falls into the 50s most nights of JULY!? And only goes above 85 degrees TWICE??
Yep, that is summer weather, and most people would agree with me. Nights are a few degrees cooler, but who wants it to be hotter than hell at night while trying to sleep?

Quote:
No no no. That is not a Summer. A Summer is where you have 85-95 degree weather for at least two months. Where you can put on as few cloths as possible and go to a beach/pool/jogging/biking/etc. It looks like that town only gets into the 70s most days of the Summer. Hardly beach weather. lol.
Upper 70's to mid 80's are the usual daytime temps. Plenty warm enough to go enjoy the beach/pool/jogging/biking/etc.

Quote:
No wonder Michigan lost population this past census.
LOL, yeah everybody moved because of the weather, LOL. Are you really that numb?

Quote:
I'll be fair and admit that Florida has some brutal Summers. I think I remember reading that Tampa accumulates about 100 days a year of temperatures over 90 degrees. It does get pretty draining by the time September hits. But I would take that over never being to walk around without a sweater handy.
Unless you are 90 years old, I can't imagine a healthy person needing a sweater when it is 75+ degrees. The point about the heat being draining is what I was getting at. By September we are still enjoying ourselves outside with moderate heat and not wilting under oppressive heat that drives people indoors and away from outdoor activities like biking/jogging/hiking/etc. Having to hide inside in the AC or if you are outside having to be either at the beach are in a pool gets old fast... like you have just said. I'll take a few months of tolerable winter weather to enjoy different outdoor activities to be able to enjoy living here 12 months out of the year and not just 8 or 9 because of the heat.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I don't buy the "I love 4 seasons" rhetoric. Cleveland's winters rival Chicago's for brutality, that's a top 5 ideal climate? If you say so.
Just because you don't like the 4 season weather doesn't mean EVERYBODY doesn't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.