Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 07:32 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,156,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j'aimedesvilles View Post
you are correct. "it is based strictly on where it is located." hence, great lakes cities are coastal. As are those along the gulf of mexico.
As i stated in post #32, i prefer going with the national oceanic and atmospheric administration's definition of coastal communities;

"the attached list contains all u.s. Counties defined as coastal by the strategic environmental assessments division of the national oceanic and atmospheric administration (noaa). These are counties that meet one of the following criteria: 1) at least 15 percent of a county’s total land area is located within the nation’s coastal watershed; or 2) a portion of or an entire county accounts for at least 15 percent of a coastal cataloging unit. Any u.s. County that meets these criteria is classified as coastal. This is the list of coastal counties that noaa recommends for the bureau of the census’ statistical abstract publication series. There are 672 coastal counties including the district of columbia in the united states (285 in the atlantic, 142 in the gulf of mexico, 87 in the pacific, and 158 in the great lakes). In 1990, these counties accounted for almost 54 percent of the nation’s population and 25 percent of the land area. If alaska is excluded, the proportion of the u.s. Land area classified as coastal decreases to 17 percent."
http://www.census.gov/geo/landview/l...oastal_cty.pdf
streeeeeeeeetch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 10:16 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Great lakes cities are coastal in a sense...the great lakes are huge bodies of water, have shipping, beaches, have canals/rivers connecting them to the ocean, etc. They're basically little fresh water oceans with tiny waves. A city like Chicago or Cleveland is definitely coastal, IMO, or at least they get an honorable mention...it's just a different kind of coast.

I have a hard time saying a place like Philly or Houston is Coastal though. Near the coast? Yes. Large seaports? Yes. But not coastal...those are river cities (though Houston is closer to being coastal than Philly, with outskirts right by Galveston Bay). "Coastal" is when you can actually see the ocean and the horizon from the city, hear the waves crashing, hear fog horns, smell the salt air, when your city has a large fishing industry, and when you can get to the ocean in well less than an hour--preferably while staying within the city limits.
Chicago and Cleveland are coastal cities .That's is a delusional statement. Im sorry but the great lakes are not a ocean. Philly and Houston are coastal cities imo because both cities are located on saltwater rivers that directly connect them to the ocean within 30 miles. Coastal does not necessarily mean located on a beach imo.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:59 AM

739 posts, read 1,187,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
You are correct. "It is based strictly on where it is located." Hence, Great Lakes cities are coastal. As are those along the Gulf of Mexico.
As I stated in post #32, I prefer going with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's definition of coastal communities;

"The attached list contains all U.S. counties defined as coastal by the Strategic Environmental Assessments Division of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). These are counties that meet one of the following criteria: 1) at least 15 percent of a county’s total land area is located within the Nation’s coastal watershed; or 2) a portion of or an entire county accounts for at least 15 percent of a coastal cataloging unit. Any U.S. county that meets these criteria is classified as coastal. This is the list of coastal counties that NOAA recommends for the Bureau of the Census’ Statistical Abstract publication series. There are 672 coastal counties including the District of Columbia in the United States (285 in the Atlantic, 142 in the Gulf of Mexico, 87 in the Pacific, and 158 in the Great Lakes). In 1990, these counties accounted for almost 54 percent of the Nation’s population and 25 percent of the land area. If Alaska is excluded, the proportion of the U.S. land area classified as coastal decreases to 17 percent."
http://www.census.gov/geo/landview/l...oastal_cty.pdf
Honestly, I've never heard of the Great Lakes area(s) being referred to as "coastal" until I've joined on here. I'm strictly going by definition, of what is coastal. The Great Lakes region is not what I would consider as such. I'm just being honest. *shrugs*

I have to say though that I am suspect that this subject, conjures attempts to downplay cities like Houston, which is a coastal city, by all accounts, in order to boost and match midwestern/northern cities with coastal cities.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:01 AM

739 posts, read 1,187,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
educate them!!!!
Thank you, Htown.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:12 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Chicago and Cleveland are coastal cities .That's is a delusional statement. Im sorry but the great lakes are not a ocean. Philly and Houston are coastal cities imo because both cities are located on saltwater rivers that directly connect them to the ocean within 30 miles. Coastal does not necessarily mean located on a beach imo.
Houston is directly on the gulf, not on the salt water River like Philly.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:03 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Houston is directly on the gulf, not on the salt water River like Philly.
The DT of Houston is exactly the same distance from the Ocean and Bay/Gulf as is the DT of Philly. Both cities have a majority of the population away from the shore.

If you are talking metro both have significant shoreline on large salt water bodies of water.

philadelphia - Google Maps

Old 10-27-2011, 12:05 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
The DT of Houston is exactly the same distance from the Ocean and Bay/Gulf as is the DT of Philly. Both cities have a majority of the population away from the shore.

If you are talking metro both have significant shoreline on large salt water bodies of water.

duh, that is because Houston and Philly are different sizes. That is not too hard to understand.

And the question asked which CITIES are coastal not where the coastal downtowns at???

Old 10-27-2011, 02:26 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
I don't think Houston gives you the coastal feel surrounded by water like SF, Boston, Seattle, Miami though. You can't go walk down to the docks or go throw a party in your boat downtown.
DT LA isn't near the water either. But LA and SoCal in general have a relatively beachy, coastal feel.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:50 PM

815 posts, read 1,857,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
DT LA isn't near the water either. But LA and SoCal in general have a relatively beachy, coastal feel.
Certainly. I haven't explored the beachy areas around Houston. If it's anything like LA it definitely feels coastal.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:30 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Great lakes cities are coastal in a sense...the great lakes are huge bodies of water, have shipping, beaches, have canals/rivers connecting them to the ocean, etc. They're basically little fresh water oceans with tiny waves. A city like Chicago or Cleveland is definitely coastal, IMO, or at least they get an honorable mention...it's just a different kind of coast.

I have a hard time saying a place like Philly or Houston is Coastal though. Near the coast? Yes. Large seaports? Yes. But not coastal...those are river cities (though Houston is closer to being coastal than Philly, with outskirts right by Galveston Bay). "Coastal" is when you can actually see the ocean and the horizon from the city, hear the waves crashing, hear fog horns, smell the salt air, when your city has a large fishing industry, and when you can get to the ocean in well less than an hour--preferably while staying within the city limits.
You can do all that in Houston. Houston not being seen as a coastal city is ludicrous. They grow tones of palm trees for goodness sake. There are parts of Houston that look like Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.