Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 10:39 PM

815 posts, read 1,858,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Mainly for High Art:

1. Chicago and DC
3. LA
4. Philadelphia and Boston
6. San Francisco
7. Houston
8. Minneapolis and Seattle
10. Detroit

Overall:

1. LA
2. Chicago
3. DC
4. Boston
5. Philadelphia
6. SF
7. Houston
8. Detroit
9. Atlanta
10. DFW
Hmmm that's interesting. I thought Atlanta did pretty well in far as art and would think it would be higher? Well maybe just art itself and museums, not opera/theater/venues. I would be less surprised if you would have left it out overall. But maybe I am wrong on that.
Anyway some interesting choices so far. And I am glad nobody has said Austin or Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 10:54 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times
2) LA
3) Chicago
4) DC
5) San Francisco
6) Houston
7) Philly
8) Boston
9) Seattle
10) Dallas

Old 10-25-2011, 01:27 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,825,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
Denver has to rank ahead of seattle and nashville at least! We have more pro teams. Red Rocks is THE BEST music venue on Earth. We are quickly developing quite a museum district. And our Performing Arts Center is the 2nd largest in the Nation!
Sports are not everything Seattle has several museum districs Seattle has 167 museums. Some of the top museums in the world LeMay car museum , Museum of flight and Space, Museum of Glass just a few. Seattle dont have a performing art center . It does have Benoroya Hall for symphony, Mccaw Hall for opera , act theater, 5th avenue theater, Rep theater , Moore Theater, showbox Theater, and paramount to name a few. Seattle may not have as many teams as Denver but its a sizeable arts scene In Seattle. Seattle also has the Seattle international Film Festival with a permanet home in Seattle Center and movies year around.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:51 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
I'm curious why, other than population and perhaps their sports teams, Houston and Dallas are being listed as top cities here. They aren't home to the USA's top art museums, musical genres, theater troupes or anything else which cause them to be mentioned among the top art scenes in the country.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:24 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
Hmmm that's interesting. I thought Atlanta did pretty well in far as art and would think it would be higher? Well maybe just art itself and museums, not opera/theater/venues. I would be less surprised if you would have left it out overall. But maybe I am wrong on that.
Anyway some interesting choices so far. And I am glad nobody has said Austin or Portland.
It got harder in the end for spots, but 9 isn't bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I'm curious why, other than population and perhaps their sports teams, Houston and Dallas are being listed as top cities here. They aren't home to the USA's top art museums, musical genres, theater troupes or anything else which cause them to be mentioned among the top art scenes in the country.
You are wrong on that. I will let Dallas speak for Dallas, but:
Houston does have top notch Museums. I will not say top 5 but they rank top ten.
The Houston Opera, Orchestra and Ballet are award winning.

Houston Grand Opera is the ONLY company in the US to win a Grammy, Tony and and Emmy

I am not saying that HOuston's high art scene is as high as NY, Chicago, DC or LA, that is why I didn't rank it with them, but it is typical of people on City Data to just assume that there is no top anything here.

if you are curious look it up quietly, instead of posting your ignorance

Old 10-25-2011, 08:30 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post

Houston actually has some pretty impressive musuems, theater/s, and their arts/music scene seems to continue to improve and get better all the time. DFW to me it seems needs to more step up its game in this regard though I might give DFW the sports nod (especially considering they are up 3-2 in the series as we speak)

But Houston is making noise these days in this regard and trying and succeeding in stepping up and playing with some of the more mature arts centers. Very good in things in Houston in this regard these days. To me this is an aspect that Houston needs to promote better as it is becoming a major player in some cultural offerings

Old 10-25-2011, 08:38 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,951 times
After New York, I'd say the rankings for combo culture/arts/music/sports goes something like this:

1. Los Angeles
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco
4. DC
5. Boston
6. Philly
7. Atlanta
8. Houston
9. Seattle
10: Can't decide between Dallas, Detroit and New Orleans.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:46 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
Not sure if this particular version has been done.

NYC should not be in this, but others are debatable.

And no this is not an urban/dense thread at all, nor is it a building skyline thread.

So outside of NYC, what are the best well rounded cities that offer the best amenities in culture, museums, arts, music, entertainment, sports. Basically places which are hubs for their region and everybody can kind of find their "niche".

Rank them 1-10 and let the cards fall where they may!
LA. Hands down. No question (IMO). LA is basically a laid back, spread out version of New York with topography and perfect climate to offer outdoor opportunities. It has its challenges, its expensive, but there is a reason. Its going through some structural changes in its economy. But it is absolutely too big and important to fail.

Chicago wins if you are talking about a downtown/inner core area where you have urban convenience and centralization that can just wow! any visitor.

Yet, I would not say that Chicago is necessarily the best to "find ones own niche". I know if any Chicago posters are on this thread, will tell me "why do you hate Chicago, just move already", but really despite all of Chicagos great qualities: amazing, second to none downtown to visit, and some of the countries best suburbs, the neighborhoods in the city, from the Lincoln Park to Mt. Greenwood, simply have a conformist and judgemental vibe that is just reality. You CAN find you niche no doubt, but you may have to look harder. I for one, love where I live (Oak Park 8 miles west of downtown, I prefer to stay on the west side to avoid picking a side on the Cubs/Sox rivalrly).

I will also add that whoever put LA as tops for sports, and LA for high art, I don't agree.

LA is really NOT a sports city, (with the exception of the Lakers, which do have a big following). It has no NFL football team. Chicago is the sports city. Chicago is a much mor "macho" city, where if you aren't into baseball in certain Chicago circles they might be confused and wonder about you.

And why LA is not higher on fine art with: The Getty Center, LACMOA, and the Huntington in Pasadena, I don't understand. Except maybe as they are spread out, and you need to drive to them, people might not know about them.

And I do agree with Detroit being up there as well. It is hands down the second city for the arts in the midwest. Just go to Midtown Detroit and the DIA/MOCAD along Woodward to see.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:02 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Some other cities that should be mentioned for entertainment/music:

Las Vegas
Nashville
New Orleans
Orlando
Atlantic City
Reno

Old 10-25-2011, 01:56 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,253,563 times
If sports are included then fashion should also be debuted IMO. Fashion is enriching, powerful, a form of art
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.