Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 11:19 PM

142 posts, read 251,675 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I wanted to make this thread to get opinions on which city or region most influences Washington D.C.? I've lived here my whole life, but sometimes it's tough to get a pull on what influences DC as far as culture, music, entertainment, way of life, etc. Sometimes when I'm walking around in DC, I can see some of the Northeast's influence around DC. I don't know what it is, but sometimes I feel like this area incorporates some of that Northeastern vibe and culture.

I think part of that is because of how close we are to NYC & Philly as compared to southern cities such as Atlanta & New Orleans. Maybe people who live in DC can give their explanations on this. I'd also like to hear from those who don't live here, but maybe have visited or spent some time in DC. I know that there have been several threads about DC as far as what region it belongs in, but I think this one is a little different from those other threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 11:24 PM

13,687 posts, read 15,591,570 times
In my opinion, the D.C. region doesn't have any influences from any region. I don't think D.C. has anything in common with any cities north, south, east, or west. One of the only cities anywhere in the nation to truly be unique in my opinion. I can't think of any cities except New Orleans that has absolutely nothing in common with another city.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:46 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,844,531 times
Baltimore is truly unique.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:56 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,752,327 times
It's a mix of both Northeastern and Southern.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:04 AM

16,505 posts, read 26,096,575 times
DC influences other cities was my first guess. Other than that it has to be Baltimore to some extent.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:13 AM

13,687 posts, read 15,591,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore is truly unique.
Baltimore has similarities with Philadelphia though.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:32 AM

8,631 posts, read 12,919,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
In my opinion, the D.C. region doesn't have any influences from any region. I don't think D.C. has anything in common with any cities north, south, east, or west. One of the only cities anywhere in the nation to truly be unique in my opinion.
D.C. definitely has more of a northern influence than any other region. It has a lot more in common with Northern cities like Baltimore and Philadelphia than to southern cites like Atlanta and Memphis for example. Many consider Washington DC. to be the gateway to the Northeast.

Quote:
I can't think of any cities except New Orleans that has absolutely nothing in common with another city.
I will agree that New Orleans is the most unique city in the country.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:45 AM

2,559 posts, read 4,603,339 times
Default boredatwork

Actually from an AA standpoint DC has been influenced by alot of different music from different regions over the years incorporated into DC style. From NY, LA, to Cleveland, N.O to Memphis to Atlanta. DC folks might've been the only ones up north listening to chop n screw around 2001. When I was living in Baltimore in 08 ppl didnt even know what that was. I think what makes DC unique is that it has its own style but yet acknowledges other cultures in other cities.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:47 AM

2,559 posts, read 4,603,339 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
DC influences other cities was my first guess. Other than that it has to be Baltimore to some extent.
Baltimore and DC are very different culturally

Old 10-26-2011, 08:10 AM

37,795 posts, read 41,491,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I can't think of any cities except New Orleans that has absolutely nothing in common with another city.
New Orleans doesn't have a twin so to speak, but it has plenty in common with other cities, most notably Memphis, Charleston, and Savannah. Probably could throw in St. Louis, and Mobile from more of a historical perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.