Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2011, 08:59 PM

78 posts, read 144,698 times

Advertisements

I am looking for somewhere to move to and get away from the "winter" weather. I am from Vermont and hate the snow, ice and cold weather with a passion! I do not know how well I would do with the humid summers but I would choose being hot over being cold.

I will be 34 almost 35 by the time I move and am single with no children. I will have some medical coding/billing experience when I move. I love being near the ocean but know that being by the ocean will bring the cost of living up. My ideal place is San Diego but there is no way I can afford to live there. Colleges are important as well, I want to finish up school although I have no idea what I want to go for, I have 30 credits towards an associates degree in business but mainly they are the general classes.

Being from a very small town with not much to do I am not used to crime so I am looking to stay away from violent crime as much as possible.

Major stores and restaurants are important to me as well as traffic that is not horrible. I am not looking for a long commute to work or finding things to do.

Two places that have been recommended in the past are Virginia beach area and Charleston, SC.

Thank you for your time
Merrie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 05:25 AM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times
You might also consider the Jacksonville area, in particular neighboring Ponte Vedre and St Augustine. It's pretty inexpensive and fulfills your criteria for safety and great weather. St Johns River State College has an excellent arrangement with neighboring UNF for degree programs, plus in-state tuition is quite affordable once you establish residency (after one year). A work commute to the south side of Jacksonville is also quite doable and not traffic-clogged.

http://www.floridashistoriccoast.com...FYHe4AodJhjG3A
ST. JOHNS RIVER STATE COLLEGE

Old 11-07-2011, 06:03 AM

8 posts, read 6,041 times
Nice people and nice climates are soon parted. Unless you are rich, you have to put up with winter if you want to live around decent people. This is especially true if beaches are involved. Your only hope is to find a place in transition, like San Diego was 30 years ago. Can you get into Oz? Perth sounds nice.

If you just want to get out of the harsh cold, check out E. Tennessee. It's an easy day's drive to great beaches in SC. On the west coast, check out Prescott AZ, SW Utah, the warmer parts of ID and W Nevada.

Last edited by Pawl Revere; 11-07-2011 at 07:07 AM..

Old 11-07-2011, 06:29 AM

93,401 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Virginia Beach might be a great choice due to being pretty safe for a good sized city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.