Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 12:27 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,647,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Those are all nice little towns and upscale suburbs. With the exception of Olympia & Bellingham which would fit in to the criteria, in terms of what the OP seems to be looking for (comparative to the examples given) I would say Tacoma (45 min south) and Everett(45 min north) for Seattle.
I'm not following your line of reasoning.

For starters, Tacoma and Everett are both about the same distance from Seattle (30 miles, give or take). So traffic, which obviously can be bad will dictate drive times which can be as little as 30 minutes or over an hour easy.

Bellingham (80 miles) and Olympia (60) are certainly no further from Seattle than Sacramento(87 miles) is from SF as the OP gave as an example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 12:45 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
I look toward "alternative cities" as the best place for me to live. Basically, overlooked, less urban places to live that are within driving distance to major cities. If I really liked Chicago, I'd look to live in Milwaukee. If I really liked San Francisco (and I do), I'd want to live in Sacramento. To me, these places are far easier to live in on a day to day basis (cheaper, less traffic, less overall stressful living) but you can visit the major cities pretty easy and enjoy them, but then escape.

Kinda reverse to what has been historically popular (living in the city, escaping to the country).

Boston has Manchester NH, Portsmouth, NH and Worcester, MA; possibly Portland ME
NYC has Albany, Hartford, possibly Syracuse
Philadelphia has Harrisburg, Scranton, Dover DE

Anyone else here base their place of living on living in another cheaper city nearby with somewhat easy access to the big city (but not suburbs of that major city)? How does it work out for you?

I'm a little confused by your Milwaukee & Sacramento comments. Yes, Milwaukee is much smaller than Chicago, and Sacramento is smaller than San Fran/Bay Area, but I don't think there's any way you can classify them as "small cities"....same goes for some of the other places you mentioned (but not all).

Perhaps we can come up with a working definition for this? A city within X distance of a major city, which retains a completely separate identity (separate metro/not in combined metro), and is at least X times smaller than the major city.

Seems to me like one fourth to one tenth of the size of the main city, and 50-80 miles away might work.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:43 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
I look toward "alternative cities" as the best place for me to live. Basically, overlooked, less urban places to live that are within driving distance to major cities. If I really liked Chicago, I'd look to live in Milwaukee. If I really liked San Francisco (and I do), I'd want to live in Sacramento. To me, these places are far easier to live in on a day to day basis (cheaper, less traffic, less overall stressful living) but you can visit the major cities pretty easy and enjoy them, but then escape.

Kinda reverse to what has been historically popular (living in the city, escaping to the country).

Boston has Manchester NH, Portsmouth, NH and Worcester, MA; possibly Portland ME
NYC has Albany, Hartford, possibly Syracuse
Philadelphia has Harrisburg, Scranton, Dover DE

Anyone else here base their place of living on living in another cheaper city nearby with somewhat easy access to the big city (but not suburbs of that major city)? How does it work out for you?

I am in Princeton, NJ, not a small city but very close to Trenton, which is a small city. I am equidistant from Philadelphia and New York, and I love my location. It, to me, is THE perfect location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.