Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 10:52 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times

Advertisements

Oh good Lord! A once-in-100 years October snow storm brings down tree limbs on power lines, and some people demand the government both CHOP DOWN THE TREES AND BURY THE POWER LINES?! Gimme a freakin' break!

Being from the South I could say something about how "you people up North" should be "better prepared" for such things ... but I won't. Oops! Guess I already did!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 04:48 AM

633 posts, read 1,644,961 times
I never lost power and never lost power from Irene... How lucky I am!

Old 11-01-2011, 05:16 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Oh good Lord! A once-in-100 years October snow storm brings down tree limbs on power lines, and some people demand the government both CHOP DOWN THE TREES AND BURY THE POWER LINES?! Gimme a freakin' break!

Being from the South I could say something about how "you people up North" should be "better prepared" for such things ... but I won't. Oops! Guess I already did!
Yes people need to be prepared for emergencies as much as possible, and chopping down huge trees, trimming the limbs over power lines is part of being prepared. Making repairs is also part of being prepared yet the officials don't keep up with their responsibility and you think the taxpayer should be responsible? It's not once in a 100 years anymore if you lived in the North and read the news you would know that. K i'm tired now going to sleep.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:31 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
^^^^ If you don't like the weather in the NE .... MOVE! Millions of people have done it -- and will continue to do it -- until the end of time. It's your choice to live in a region of the country with crappy winter weather!

I swear, as much as people like to throw down and make fun of Southerners when we get snow and ice, people up North are just as big wimps ... and a lot louder and ruder about it to boot! When it snows in Georgia, we throw another log on the fire and sit back and enjoy it.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:13 PM

136 posts, read 581,562 times
Quote:
^^^^ If you don't like the weather in the NE .... MOVE! Millions of people have done it -- and will continue to do it -- until the end of time. It's your choice to live in a region of the country with crappy winter weather!

I swear, as much as people like to throw down and make fun of Southerners when we get snow and ice, people up North are just as big wimps ... and a lot louder and ruder about it to boot! When it snows in Georgia, we throw another log on the fire and sit back and enjoy it.
The Northeast is the wealthiest region in the nation, and have the large metropolitan areas of Washington D.C., Philadelphia, NEW YORK CITY, Boston and close to Canadian border and cities of Toronto and Montreal.

You cannot compare the southeast with northeast.
Not everybody likes Georgias climate.... I myself hate it because I want my four distinct seasons that the northeast has to offer, and less of hot & humid GA climate.

Problem is that the government need to stop spending our tax money on other places than the U.S.! BTW I have a house in NYC and here in Quebec.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:15 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
LOL, what a load of horse-crap! I've lived in the South and have seen firsthand the whining, crying, and total helplessness you Southerners use to deal with snow and ice. At least in the North we don't close schools, Universities, business, etc... at the mere forecast of snow like I witnessed for a couple years living in the South.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:41 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
I really dislike overhead powerlines, but more because I think they're really, really ugly than because of weather issues. I say that having lived in the Northeast for 8 years and not once experiencing a power outage.

Anyway, I posted this pic on the NJ forum once. This is from a story about a new rental apartment building. I think it's supposed to show off the shiny new building, but I'm too distracted by all of those ugly wires!
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1294/...e132c73005.jpg

And if the wires aren't enough, PSE&G (elec. co in NNJ) has installed large solar panels on utility poles all over the state. I'm all for alternative energy, but it doesn't have to be so ugly!! http://media.northjersey.com/images/...olarRST65p.jpg

Old 11-02-2011, 10:23 AM

136 posts, read 581,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I really dislike overhead powerlines, but more because I think they're really, really ugly than because of weather issues. I say that having lived in the Northeast for 8 years and not once experiencing a power outage.

Anyway, I posted this pic on the NJ forum once. This is from a story about a new rental apartment building. I think it's supposed to show off the shiny new building, but I'm too distracted by all of those ugly wires!
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1294/...e132c73005.jpg

And if the wires aren't enough, PSE&G (elec. co in NNJ) has installed large solar panels on utility poles all over the state. I'm all for alternative energy, but it doesn't have to be so ugly!! http://media.northjersey.com/images/...olarRST65p.jpg
LOL Jersey City does not have underground power?! I thought all large U.S. cities have underground power, like NYC.

I've seen those solar when I visited New Jersey... what do they do?

Old 11-02-2011, 05:22 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libnani View Post
LOL Jersey City does not have underground power?! I thought all large U.S. cities have underground power, like NYC.

I've seen those solar when I visited New Jersey... what do they do?
Nope. We have underground power in some areas, but most of JC has above-ground power. Amazing in the 21st century, isn't it?

The solar panels are PSE&G's way of saying "you want solar power? here's your stinkin solar power, in your face!" in response to a state mandate that utilities generate 50% of the power on the grid from renewable energy sources by 2020'ish. Seriously I think it has to be the most inefficient way to generate solar energy, but I'm not an engineer, so what do I know?

Old 11-02-2011, 07:55 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
I'm kind of annoyed I missed the storm. It takes a lot of time and money to create these underground power methods, a storm like that never happens and people will move on once the power goes back. There's shelters, there's restaurants, there's grocery stores- The weather isn't unbearable, it seems quite nice a brisk if you ask me- It's not the end of the world. When households lose power for a a few or more days, you make more time with your family/friends. This isn't Hurricane Katrina we're talking about here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.