Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 08:19 PM

86 posts, read 499,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
I think alot of pheonix bashing comes from the typical midwestern inferiority complex. People just can't seem to understand how a city that was nothing more than a dust town in world war 2 is now the nations 5th largest city. Most people in places like chicago are simply put jealouse of the success pheonix has achieved in the past 20 years or so.
Yes its the 5th largest city but going by city populations is silly. Metro statistics is the only way that makes sense. going by city populations puts Jacksonville ahead of Boston, tell me which is bigger:

Jacksonville area: 885 square miles
Jacksonville population: 794,555
metro population: 1.3 million

Boston area: 89.6 square miles
Boston population: 590,763
metro population:4.45 million

Quote:
They say things like phx has horrible public transit (despite the fact that is national news that chicago's public transit the CTA is running on fumes and is about to impolde on itself because of budget mismanagement).

They will say things like phx has too much sprawl despite the fact that once you leave the loop *save a few neighborhoods* chicago goes from brooklyn like sprawl to dreary bungalow sprawl on the city's outskirts.
Dont even try and compare public transit in Phoenix with Chicago.

And about the CTA's budget problems... every city has them! same with San Fran, same with Boston. The only system that turn profit are in Japan.

Quote:

Face it chicago is becoming a white relic, like many places back east. From 1980 to 2000 phx's pop. practically doubled. The last time chicago saw that type of growth was at the dawn of the 20th century. (from 1890-1910). Chicago's population has been on the decline since the 1960's, when the us census first showed chicago was loosing its population. It hasnt had a population spike since. Even new york keeps growning albeit minimally.
A white relic? that is ridiculous, its still the 3rd largest city in the country and I dont know why your bringing up race here...

By the way I highly doubt Phoenix will ever pass Chicago in population.. the entire South West is going through a huge population surge right now but it will eventually slow down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 09:58 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtallredhead View Post
The region is now growing because of BOTH legal and illegal immigration, net domestic in migration (except for California), AND becuase of natural increase (more births then deaths) -and not just births to illegal immigrants. The regions fertility is still above the national average and above maintenance overall even without illegals, -though not among non Hispanic whites alone.
I believe the Mormons are the only group of white people in the country (besides much smaller groups like the Amish or Hassidic Jews) who have an above-average birth rate. If you look at the birth rate among white people in Utah it is easily the highest in the nation. I don't think anywhere else in the USA even comes close to Utah.

Oh and as to the height of the buildings in Philly. I don't think that was ever on the books, it was just a custom not to build anything taller than city hall. I think the city actually looks a lot nicer now that you have a good number of skyscrapers. The Comcast center should be quite the sight to see once it is completed.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:19 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Oh and as to the height of the buildings in Philly. I don't think that was ever on the books, it was just a custom not to build anything taller than city hall. I think the city actually looks a lot nicer now that you have a good number of skyscrapers. The Comcast center should be quite the sight to see once it is completed.
Correct

There was always a gentlemans agreement that nothing would ever be built taller than the William Penn statue atop Philadlephia city hall(518 feet). William Penn was the founding father of Philadlephia and an icon whose name has always been associated with community first.

The William Penn statue was to Philadlephia as Big Ben was to London, The Eiffel Tower was to Paris, The Gateway Arch was to st.Louis etc. It was always supposed to be the icon of the city.

By the mid 1980's Philadlephia's tight grid(no room to grow ) and aging office infrastructure caused it to begin hemorhaging jobs to the suburban office parks.Something needed to be done. The first building to surpass the height limit was in 1986 (Liberty 1) which is 945 feet I believe. 8 or 9 more towers in the 600'-800' foot range popped up in the late 80's early 90's. So Philadelphia is relatively new to the skyscraper craze.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:29 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,840 times
Penn statue, Comcast Tower roof. This give anyone else a good idea?

Old 08-31-2007, 09:23 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
I think alot of pheonix bashing comes from the typical midwestern inferiority complex. People just can't seem to understand how a city that was nothing more than a dust town in world war 2 is now the nations 5th largest city. Most people in places like chicago are simply put jealouse of the success pheonix has achieved in the past 20 years or so.

Why do you think chicagoans say things like "phx's sky line is pathetic"?Never mind the fact that when chicago was building sky scrapers in the 30's phx had a population of under 50,000 at that same time.

They say things like phx has horrible public transit (despite the fact that is national news that chicago's public transit the CTA is running on fumes and is about to impolde on itself because of budget mismanagement).

They will say things like phx has too much sprawl despite the fact that once you leave the loop *save a few neighborhoods* chicago goes from brooklyn like sprawl to dreary bungalow sprawl on the city's outskirts.

As a last resort and a true sign of loss, they play the race card.
They will say things like "phx is overrun with illegals". Despite the fact that some of those "illegals" can afford to live in more style than they...

And in a grand finale of irony, they will even poke at arizona's weather(as if chicago's weather is somthing to brag about)

Face it chicago is becoming a white relic, like many places back east. From 1980 to 2000 phx's pop. practically doubled. The last time chicago saw that type of growth was at the dawn of the 20th century. (from 1890-1910). Chicago's population has been on the decline since the 1960's, when the us census first showed chicago was loosing its population. It hasnt had a population spike since. Even new york keeps growning albeit minimally.

Think about it, chicago used to be the "second city". That was their claim to fame, second only to new york. But as the 20th century wore on, that claim has been ripped away from them piece by peice. They are no longer second in population and are now third fiddle to Los Angeles hence the resentment of the LA. And their grip is slowly waining even at that to the point where all they can really boast is the second biggest skyline (theyve been at it nearly as long as new york mind you).

Fact of the matter is it wont be long before Pheonix has chicago playing fourth fiddle. Which isnt bad for a bunch of illegal desert folk with no sky scrappers living amongst the sprawl.

The Betty Ford Clinic called, they want their escapee back.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:26 PM

718 posts, read 2,688,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
The Betty Ford Clinic called, they want their escapee back.
This should be removed for the simple fact that you used the same line twice.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:42 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
This should be removed for the simple fact that you used the same line twice.
Gotta get my point across somehow, someway. How's Ms. Lohan doing?

Old 08-31-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Gotta get my point across somehow, someway. How's Ms. Lohan doing?
She's probably had better days, as has the lady from crystal lake who recently smothered her daughter. hows that for midwestern hospitality

Old 09-01-2007, 04:44 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,208,525 times
Quote:
She's probably had better days, as has the lady from crystal lake who recently smothered her daughter. hows that for midwestern hospitality
My God! What happened there?

Old 09-01-2007, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
My God! What happened there?
oh nothing chicago just has a bad case of suburban housewifes strangling their kids to death. This isnt the first case either just the most recent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.