Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 04:17 PM

149 posts, read 411,692 times

Advertisements

I live in East TN, and everyone thinks we are all inbred, bible-thumping, closed-minded, truck driving, rednecks. Granted, this is the bible belt and there is a church on virtually every corner, the people here are surprisingly open minded and, believe it or not, somewhat civilized. Our city hosted a national softball tournament a few years ago when I was a cashier at a local grocery store and I had at least 10-15 people tell me they were so surprised that we actually have running water and electricity, and one woman from New Jersey had the audacity to tell me how surprised she was that everyone was wearing shoes and a shirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 12:57 AM

527 posts, read 1,281,623 times
Connecticut:

-Most of us are rich and live in big mansions
-Most of us are white
-We're close to NYC and Boston, so that makes us all rude
-We all drive nice cars
-We all live in suburbs like the Stepford Wives (which was filmed in CT by the way)
-We're all either Italian, Polish or Irish
-We all make a nice, large salary
-We all like sending our kids to private schools

Old 08-24-2009, 08:38 PM

167 posts, read 435,149 times
Los Angeles:

-Rich, spoiled people (the city extends for miles beyond the westside)
-Everyone has botox (Botox cost money, with house prices the way they are you must be crazy)
-We all eat to tofu (Don't believe the hype)
-We all live next to celebrities (Go to Inglewood, Compton, East LA, Watts and see if you find celebs)
-We're all surfers (LA waters are too damn cold for everybody to tolerate)
-All latinos are illegals(Stop listening to right wing xenophobes)
-We're all shallow (Dont believe the hype)
-All minorites are gang affiliated (Stop listening to right wing xenophobes)
-We're all materialistic (We dont all have stacks of paper)
-We're all tanned (Well how can you not be with our fabulous weather)

And so many others that escape my memory

Old 08-26-2009, 04:31 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,213 times
A quick trip to Tennessee should dispel stereotypes. I like Tennessee and its people. You are nice people.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:24 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,771,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
what are the stereotypical images evoked by your city, state and its citizens and culture?

for example, the stereotypical images of san francisco are trolleys, rice-a-roni, steep hills, the tv show full house, the golden gate bridge, tree-hugging sandal-wearing hippies, asian computer geeks, chinatown
Where I live the stereotype is blue collar auto industrial workers.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:41 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
In Iowa we always laughed how every TV show about the state made it out to be a bunch of white people and everyone lived in farms or in rural areas.

In reality only 5% of the people live on a farm, and there are 300,000 minorities.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:38 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,861,713 times
Ohio

Negative Stereotypes
Boring
Dull
Ignorant
Backwards
Depressed
Union Jack
Blue Collar
Unhappy
Dirty
Close-Minded

Positive Stereotypes
Friendly
Honest
Hard-Working
Progressive
Cultured
Reasonable
Laid-Back
Innovative

Old 08-26-2009, 11:10 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,735 times
I don't think Maryland has many stereotypes, not known to ousiders anyway. However, Virginia and Pennsylvania residents seem to think that every Marylander is a Democrat and drives like a nutjob. Also, most people probably think that if you go to Baltimore you'll get shot or robbed (or both) and everytime I tell someone I'm from Maryland they assume I live in Baltimore as if they were the same place (I actually live in the DC suburbs).

Old 08-27-2009, 11:08 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,771,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
I don't think Maryland has many stereotypes, not known to ousiders anyway. However, Virginia and Pennsylvania residents seem to think that every Marylander is a Democrat and drives like a nutjob. Also, most people probably think that if you go to Baltimore you'll get shot or robbed (or both) and everytime I tell someone I'm from Maryland they assume I live in Baltimore as if they were the same place (I actually live in the DC suburbs).
If I lived in DC suburbs ( state of Maryland) I would simply say I live in Washington D.C metro, District of Columbia metro, Washington metro etc...

Old 08-28-2009, 04:45 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,501,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBradley View Post
I live in East TN, and everyone thinks we are all inbred, bible-thumping, closed-minded, truck driving, rednecks. Granted, this is the bible belt and there is a church on virtually every corner, the people here are surprisingly open minded and, believe it or not, somewhat civilized. Our city hosted a national softball tournament a few years ago when I was a cashier at a local grocery store and I had at least 10-15 people tell me they were so surprised that we actually have running water and electricity, and one woman from New Jersey had the audacity to tell me how surprised she was that everyone was wearing shoes and a shirt.
>>>>>
I live in East TN, and everyone thinks we are all inbred, bible-thumping, closed-minded, truck driving, rednecks.
<<<<<

What's wrong with this?

Sounds kinda like Oklahoma.....okay, minus the inbred part for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.