Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 02:06 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times

Advertisements

Baltimore has one of the worst urban cores in the nation, but has some extremely wealthy suburbs like Howard County and Hunt Valley. Anne Arundel County also isn't bad. Detroit, St. Louis, and Philadelphia are much the same way.

Baton Rouge is very ghetto in a lot of the city but has many pleasant suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2020, 06:45 PM

180 posts, read 128,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evetteever View Post
I disagree with DC. I've only visited, so I don't know any specific names, but DC is a part of a fairly long chain of continuous urban and suburban development, much of it fairly historic and dense. I saw plenty of appealing main streets and small towns in neighboring Maryland and Northern Virginia.
Agreed. Most of NoVa and Southwest MD are suburbs of DC. You have some of the wealthiest areas in the US with very walkable town squares and main streets. Places like Bethesda, Potomac, Ft. Washington, and Silver Spring, on the MD side; and Alexandria, Fairfax (City), Clifton
Reston, Herndon, Arlington, Great Falls and Mt. Vernon on the VA side. That is not even including Loudoun County towns like Leesburg, Purceville and Ashburn.

Old 08-29-2020, 10:01 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Baltimore has one of the worst urban cores in the nation, but has some extremely wealthy suburbs like Howard County and Hunt Valley. Anne Arundel County also isn't bad. Detroit, St. Louis, and Philadelphia are much the same way.

Baton Rouge is very ghetto in a lot of the city but has many pleasant suburbs.
With all due respect to the other cities, Philadelphia's core is in an obviously different league than the others. Though the others are certainly making great as strides, too.

It's really not remotely comparable due to scope alone, to say nothing of commerce and wealth. Philadelphia's urban core peers are cities such as Boston and San Francisco.

Old 08-30-2020, 09:41 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
With all due respect to the other cities, Philadelphia's core is in an obviously different league than the others. Though the others are certainly making great as strides, too.

It's really not remotely comparable due to scope alone, to say nothing of commerce and wealth. Philadelphia's urban core peers are cities such as Boston and San Francisco.
Yes. Philadelphia is one of country's top urban cores.

Old 08-30-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes. Philadelphia is one of country's top urban cores.
Having visited before I would have to disagree. Philadelphia felt very run down within most of the city limits. The city most similar to it is Baltimore. I find Atlanta, Columbus, and Dallas to be more impressive in their cores than Philadelphia.

Old 08-30-2020, 06:03 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,116,133 times
Quote:
Having visited before I would have to disagree. Philadelphia felt very run down within most of the city limits. The city most similar to it is Baltimore. I find Atlanta, Columbus, and Dallas to be more impressive in their cores than Philadelphia.
City limits is irrelevant when OP asked for core. And second, What's your definition of core?

Old 08-30-2020, 06:08 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
What part of Philadelphia's core feels run down to you? I can't think of any areas offhand.

Most of Baltimore's core is in decent shape also but you don't have to go far outside of the core to come across neighborhoods that have seen better days.

Old 08-30-2020, 09:04 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,116,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What part of Philadelphia's core feels run down to you? I can't think of any areas offhand.

Most of Baltimore's core is in decent shape also but you don't have to go far outside of the core to come across neighborhoods that have seen better days.
If his definition of core for Philadelphia is Greater Center City, then maybe Point Breeze. But even still, the comment comes off as asinine.

Old 08-31-2020, 02:15 AM

I define anything in the city limits and the inner city to be the "core". Especially as the title of this spread contrasts it to suburbs, so I interpreted the question as the city limits vs the suburban areas.

So I do include North Philadelphia and South Philadelphia as part of the "core" including the very run down areas in these districts. "Outside" the core would be places like Kennett Square, Cherry Hill, King of Prussia, etc. I consider all of Baltimore City to be the "core" the way this question is worded, and outside would be Howard County, Baltimore County etc.

Old 08-31-2020, 03:14 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,384,851 times
Los Angeles - great core and great suburbs #nobias
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.