Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 11:16 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,839,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
We already know that guy is CD's resident expert linguist, demographer, culturalist, etc...
Right, you have no answer to me, so you resort to insults. We already know you have no facts backing your opinions, so I suggest you pipe down until you can come up with maps and studies that back up your findings. As far as I'm concerned, I've got all the evidence, you've just got your opinion. So don't put me down unless you have a better argument. You and Mutiny continue to share this belief that somehow Richmond is Northeastern, speaks the same dialect, has the same cuisine, the same politics, etc. as DC and Baltimore. DC and Baltimore from a modern standpoint have more in common with Philadelphia than Richmond and that's an undeniable fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 11:55 AM

37,795 posts, read 41,491,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Right, you have no answer to me, so you resort to insults. We already know you have no facts backing your opinions, so I suggest you pipe down until you can come up with maps and studies that back up your findings. As far as I'm concerned, I've got all the evidence, you've just got your opinion. So don't put me down unless you have a better argument. You and Mutiny continue to share this belief that somehow Richmond is Northeastern, speaks the same dialect, has the same cuisine, the same politics, etc. as DC and Baltimore. DC and Baltimore from a modern standpoint have more in common with Philadelphia than Richmond and that's an undeniable fact.
Excuse me? Where did I ever say that?

If that's the full extent of "similarities" in your mind, then there's really nothing else to say. And none of these cities are truly Northeastern, so you can drop that.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:54 PM

388 posts, read 979,804 times
Quote:
No YOU can't be serious. Culturally and linguistically it is completely different from those two cities at least from a modern standpoint. Richmond has more in common with Raleigh and Charlotte.
Richmond shares similarities with older south cities that are in the Chesapeake region (DC/Baltimore were considered old south cities back in the days and are a part of this area) which logically makes sense. The cities most similar to Richmond would be Norfolk, DC, and Baltimore. Charlotte and Raleigh are more "new south" than Richmond. Have you ever visited the core areas/neighborhoods of Richmond, Norfolk, DC, Baltimore, Raleigh, and Charlotte?

Old 05-03-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Excuse me? Where did I ever say that?

If that's the full extent of "similarities" in your mind, then there's really nothing else to say. And none of these cities are truly Northeastern, so you can drop that.
Sorry, I disagree. Baltimore and D.C. satisfy the requirements of being Northeastern from a modern standpoint. They are more Northeastern than they are Southern. Richmond is a purely Southern city.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
Richmond shares similarities with older south cities that are in the Chesapeake region (DC/Baltimore were considered old south cities back in the days and are a part of this area) which logically makes sense. The cities most similar to Richmond would be Norfolk, DC, and Baltimore. Charlotte and Raleigh are more "new south" than Richmond. Have you ever visited the core areas/neighborhoods of Richmond, Norfolk, DC, Baltimore, Raleigh, and Charlotte?
Baltimore and Washington are Mid-Atlantic/Northeastern cities from a modern standpoint and should not be grouped in with Richmond under pretty much any context from a modern standpoint. Historically, I agree there are similarities but not from a modern standpoint. Richmond has more in common with Charlotte and Raleigh culturally and linguistically today than Baltimore and DC and that's an undeniable fact.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:25 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,044,567 times
Quote:
Sorry, I disagree. Baltimore and D.C. satisfy the requirements of being Northeastern from a modern standpoint. They are more Northeastern than they are Southern. Richmond is a purely Southern city.
Oh, and you've made a just maaarvelous effort to prove it !

Old 05-03-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Oh, and you've made a just maaarvelous effort to prove it !
There isn't enough proof in the world to satisfy you so don't bother telling me I have to prove it. I already have.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:38 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
The Southern most suburb of NOVA is only 45 minutes away from Richmond. There is bound to be some similarities between the two areas. Some areas look purely Southern and some look Mid-Atlantic. To say there isn't any similarities between DC/Bmore and Richmond is disingenuous.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:13 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,539,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The Southern most suburb of NOVA is only 45 minutes away from Richmond. There is bound to be some similarities between the two areas. Some areas look purely Southern and some look Mid-Atlantic. To say there isn't any similarities between DC/Bmore and Richmond is disingenuous.
Exactly Spade. Reading information can only take you so far....that's why it pays to have personal experience with cities when making a comparison (the poster in question hasn't been to RVA or Philadelphia yet speaks with authority on the matter).

Old 05-03-2016, 06:31 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,539,474 times
Seriously, stop posting that outdated ass dialect map from Labov. Do you still drive a Ford Model T? Get with the times and upgrade to Aschmann's American English Dialects map if you gonna spar with posters on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.