Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 03:52 AM

13 posts, read 14,412 times

Advertisements

ok 25/yo female grew up small town in Ohio 45 min from Cleve...4 yrs bachelors degrees in NY 15 min from manhattan. moved to melb, Aus july 08 master's degree completed 2010. So, I have been here in Melb for 3 years the reason I want to relocate back to the US is the cost of living is insane here...no idea how is was rated 2nd best country to live in??!?!? must be cuz of the dole system here or health care but cost of living is just unreal.....
Since I haven't been in the US in a while I was wondering if anyone could give me some feed back on cities to relocate to......Looking FOR:::::Biggest and most important obviously FINDING A JOB!!!! I have little experience in the working field (less than 1 year within business) (I have two bachelors psychology, and law, and masters in international business law) so my job options vary!) 2. A city/town that doesn't have the majority of the population of 16-25 yo having children and getting married (that's a big reason I left OH!) so I guess you could say a place with a more mature mind. 3. Cost of living very important do not want a 1 bedroom apartment that is over half a million and falling apart......Climate doesn't matter, diversity doesn't matter, travel times/public transport doesn't matter, just looking for a good solid idea on a city with good jobs, ok night life, and fun things to do!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 10:31 AM

93,265 posts, read 123,898,066 times
You could possibly look here: Central New York Jobs

Perhaps cities like Buffalo, Rochester or a few others could work, as there are plenty of colleges in those areas that may have jobs you are looking for. This could help too: New York's Private Colleges & Universities (http://www.nycolleges.org/locations.php - broken link)

suny.edu - Employment Opportunities

Old 11-09-2011, 01:00 AM

13 posts, read 14,412 times
Thanx for the info....but wanting to stay out of NY and OH....

Old 11-09-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iromotnemom View Post
Thanx for the info....but wanting to stay out of NY and OH....
Why do you want to stay out of NY? If it is cost of living, keep in mind that not all of NY is expensive. There are metros in Upstate NY that have a an overall cost of living on par with Southern metros.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:30 PM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Why do you want to stay out of NY? If it is cost of living, keep in mind that not all of NY is expensive. There are metros in Upstate NY that have a an overall cost of living on par with Southern metros.
Much of Upstate New York is somewhat similar to Ohio which has a standard of living she doesn't want (everyone seemingly married with kids).

Old 11-09-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iromotnemom View Post
ok 25/yo female grew up small town in Ohio 45 min from Cleve...4 yrs bachelors degrees in NY 15 min from manhattan. moved to melb, Aus july 08 master's degree completed 2010. So, I have been here in Melb for 3 years the reason I want to relocate back to the US is the cost of living is insane here...no idea how is was rated 2nd best country to live in??!?!? must be cuz of the dole system here or health care but cost of living is just unreal.....
Since I haven't been in the US in a while I was wondering if anyone could give me some feed back on cities to relocate to......Looking FOR:::::Biggest and most important obviously FINDING A JOB!!!! I have little experience in the working field (less than 1 year within business) (I have two bachelors psychology, and law, and masters in international business law) so my job options vary!) 2. A city/town that doesn't have the majority of the population of 16-25 yo having children and getting married (that's a big reason I left OH!) so I guess you could say a place with a more mature mind. 3. Cost of living very important do not want a 1 bedroom apartment that is over half a million and falling apart......Climate doesn't matter, diversity doesn't matter, travel times/public transport doesn't matter, just looking for a good solid idea on a city with good jobs, ok night life, and fun things to do!!!!!!
Check out some of the cities that haven't been hobbled by the economy as much, and yes they do exist. Taking into consideration cost of living and availability of jobs in business/international business I would recommend:

Omaha, Nebraska (4.4% unemployment and corporate headquarters of Kellogg Company, ConAgra Foods, Union Pacific Corporation, Mutual of Omaha, Berkshire Hathaway and TD Ameritrade)

Omaha, Nebraska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Des Moines, Iowa (5.6% unemployment and corporate offices/headquarters of
Principal Financial Group, Wellmark Blue Cross Blue Shield, Wells Fargo, ING Group, Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company, Marsh, Monsanto and Pioneer Hi-Bred)

Des Moines, Iowa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Minneapolis, Minnesota (6.0% unemployment and corporate headquarters of Target Corporation, U.S. Bancorp, Xcel Energy, Ameriprise Financial and PepsiAmericas.

Minneapolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Richmond, Virginia (7.3% unemployment and corporate offices/headquarters of Dominion Resources, CarMax, Owens & Minor, Genworth Financial, MeadWest, Altria Group and Cavalier Telephone).

Richmond, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good luck!!

Old 11-09-2011, 05:04 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,077 times
Minneapolis and Omaha are both good choices. I've heard better about Minneapolis though, due to good cost of living, lots of young professionals, and lots of downtown nightlife. Richmond and Des Moines are very very small cities, with the majority of young professionals growing up there or in Virginia/North Carolina.

For major cities: look into Dallas, Chicago, and Los Angeles (compared to other major cities like DC, NYC, Boston, SF cost of living in LA is less).

Old 11-09-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Much of Upstate New York is somewhat similar to Ohio which has a standard of living she doesn't want (everyone seemingly married with kids).
That's not necessarily true, especially in the cities which have their "trendy" urban neighborhoods.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Minneapolis and Omaha are both good choices. I've heard better about Minneapolis though, due to good cost of living, lots of young professionals, and lots of downtown nightlife. Richmond and Des Moines are very very small cities, with the majority of young professionals growing up there or in Virginia/North Carolina.

For major cities: look into Dallas, Chicago, and Los Angeles (compared to other major cities like DC, NYC, Boston, SF cost of living in LA is less).
Philadelphia might be another major city to look into. Perhaps the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area of Virginia too.

Also, why not Cleveland or Columbus?

Old 11-10-2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Richmond and Des Moines are very very small cities, with the majority of young professionals growing up there or in Virginia/North Carolina.
Not exactly, Richmond's metro population is over a million and has people from all over the world living there due to it's colleges, major medical facilities and large corporations headquartered there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.