U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2007, 01:17 PM

13,495 posts, read 35,517,137 times

Advertisements

Want a job? Go West, where ads unanswered - Stocks & Economy - MSNBC.com

This is just a post to share something a friend had sent to me. I thought our unemployment rate was low!! My immedate area has an unemployment rate of just over 3%. As I've said before, one hour east of me the unemployment rate has now dropped down to 2.3%. I had no idea my neighbors to the west are having an even harder time finding employees. I know very little about the housing in Montana, but in Wyoming, apartments or rental homes are hard to find.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 02:12 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,817,738 times
Thanks for the link Jammie!

That was quite an interesting article. I think I may pass it on to my brother who is looking for work, although Montana would be quite the drastic change for him.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:59 PM

1,020 posts, read 3,192,832 times
I was thinking about Montana but when I see how high their prices are getting and how people are trying to make any nice place in it only for the wealthy forget it. Same thing with Maine. Both are being robbed blind by house peddlers jacking up prices to insane levels. Maine is called the vacation state. That's really lame for an entire state to be for vacationers. I'll never move to a state where the prices are fluctuating to such drastic highs.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:04 PM

799 posts, read 2,053,159 times
Just wait, now, the word is out, and Montana will be the next Nevada or Arizona. It will become flooded with people. You will wish people had kept quiet because you will have big overcrowded booming areas and wish for the old days.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:11 PM

1,020 posts, read 3,192,832 times
Montana is huge. Just do like Ohio does and once a town gets a certain size start another. That way you keep them smaller and accessible. Just make sure the down towns are kept up. And Montana doesn't stand a chance to boom. Just look at its prices on Craigslist or city-data. If it booms it will be very short small lived booms for the wealthy. They tend to cutoff any nice areas for themselves without regards to the average family. They want to make the entire western portion of it for vacationers and big city transplants with wads of cash to spend. Not only that but they act like the entire western United States is only for privileged folks. Better enact some price gouging laws or tighten up on price fixing if you want it to stay reasonable and well balanced. Otherwise the message they're going to send is that they don't care for people, only their money's worth. Keeping towns smaller and starting new ones may be the only practical way to stop price gouging idiots.

I'll head to west Montana if it proves to be reasonable and defies the current price gouging in the entire western United States. Otherwise the rich and the illegals can have it. No place is worth sacrificing quality of life for a high cost of living unless you're income is boundless. Otherwise you will be a prisoner in a place that only cares about flaunting wealth. It will probably be another Denver or Phoenix before it can become a family friendly pace.

Last edited by the_pines; 08-26-2007 at 06:30 PM..

Old 08-26-2007, 06:12 PM

656 posts, read 2,191,009 times
Forward by Horace Greeley...

Old 08-26-2007, 09:01 PM

13,495 posts, read 35,517,137 times
It's my understanding that both Montana and Idaho have seen a recent jump in the cost of housing. It seems that many Californians are fleeing their state and many are moving to Mt. and Id.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:22 PM

1,563 posts, read 4,075,698 times
The western states are pretty unstable when it comes to employment. It basicly follows ore prices. If ore prices drop, the mines lay off people.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:29 PM

449 posts, read 1,597,278 times
I saw an article about that on Fox - from what I could find, the booming places have jobs with housing very hard to find. A lot of people live in trailers (I can't help but wonder how that would be in those extreme winter temps) and have the money for a house but nothing much is available.There were ads for a room in someone's house going for 700/month :eek Apartments were $1,500 and up. I know the salaries are supposed to be awesome for some jobs..only they can't all be high paying.
We'd consider Cheyenne, prices were less insane but so were the salaries. We could do better elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.