Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 01:05 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,688,474 times

Advertisements

I would choose

From worst to least...
Camden, NJ
Baltimore, MD
Irvington, NJ
Philadelphia, PA
Newark, NJ
New York City, NY
Pittsburgh, PA

what do you guys think??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 01:11 PM

463 posts, read 1,565,558 times
My friend and I once parked on a side street in inner-city Baltimore to go to a concert about a mile away. It seemed like a good idea durring the daytime, but it was kind of freaky to walk a mile back to the car at 11pm through rough neighborhoods once the concert was over. I just said to my friend "keep walking and try not to make eye contact". A few people tried to say something to us but I honestly couldn't understand any of them. One person even threw a can of orange soda at us but missed--we kept walking. Let me tell you it was a relife to get back onto I-83 heading out of the city!

As a note, I don't want to sound like I'm dissing Baltimore because I love the city, expecially the inner-harbor area. I guess we just chose a bad place to park.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:12 PM

Also, although these cities aren't quite as big as the others listed, Allentown and Reading both have very rough inner-cities.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:30 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
NY (Too many neighborhoods so I group them all by geography)

South Bronx
North-East Bronx
Uptown
North Brooklyn
Southern Queens

NJ

Newark
East Orange
Atlantic City
Trenton
Camden

Pennsylvania

North Philly
West Philly

Maryland

Baltimore
DC ( close enough to Maryland)

Last edited by DoubleXAs; 10-09-2008 at 01:50 PM..

Old 10-09-2008, 02:01 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmith View Post
Also, although these cities aren't quite as big as the others listed, Allentown and Reading both have very rough inner-cities.
don't forget Chester

and i think Hartford, Bridgeport & New Haven in CT are in the running.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:23 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,767,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmith View Post
My friend and I once parked on a side street in inner-city Baltimore to go to a concert about a mile away. It seemed like a good idea durring the daytime, but it was kind of freaky to walk a mile back to the car at 11pm through rough neighborhoods once the concert was over. I just said to my friend "keep walking and try not to make eye contact". A few people tried to say something to us but I honestly couldn't understand any of them. One person even threw a can of orange soda at us but missed--we kept walking. Let me tell you it was a relife to get back onto I-83 heading out of the city!

As a note, I don't want to sound like I'm dissing Baltimore because I love the city, expecially the inner-harbor area. I guess we just chose a bad place to park.
I know what you mean. Where was the concert at? Ya see in Baltimore, the neighborhoods that touch the river are very rich and nice, than the neighborhoods that touch those neighborhoods are also nice. After that, it can get straight ghetto, and than after you start getting further from the core, it either gets really bad (extreme south, and east Baltimore) or Extremely nice and rich (North, and west Baltimore)

Old 10-09-2008, 02:43 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,688,474 times
good inputs..
I didnt know Allentown had some rough area's.. thats where that Dorney Park is right??

And Bridgeport and New Haven, your right..

Old 10-09-2008, 10:20 PM

Allentown's rough areas are a couple miles east of Dorney Park, which is on the edge of the city bordering the suburbs.

By the way, the concert in Baltimore was at the Lyric Opera House, and although I can't remember where we parked I am pretty sure it was to the northeast of there.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:59 AM

769 posts, read 2,232,978 times
Buffalo, NY and Rochester, NY.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:42 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
I would choose

From worst to least...
Camden, NJ
Baltimore, MD
Irvington, NJ
Philadelphia, PA
Newark, NJ (
New York City, NY
Pittsburgh, PA

what do you guys think??
Camden, NJ
Irvington, NJ
Baltimore, MD
Newark, NJ
Philadelphia, PA
Pittsburgh, PA
NYC (although the bad parts bite harder than any of the above)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.