Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which east-west Interstate would you drive across country?
I-10 18 22.22%
I-40 14 17.28%
I-70 12 14.81%
I-80 17 20.99%
I-90 20 24.69%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 10:07 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post

So you think Mobile, Biloxi, Southern Louisiana are all boring? New Orleans and Houston the only worthwhile stops? Really?
I think Lafayette, New Orleans, the MS and AL gulf coast are all worthy stops.

I plan on coming from just south of Seattle to Houston. Can't wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 10:10 PM

520 posts, read 730,955 times
Tie between I-90 and I-80 for me, but I gave my vote to I-90.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:13 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Actually I was probably going to stop in Raleigh on my way down south (got family there). From there it's the same interstate all the way to Albuquerque. What about I-40 west of Nashville through Memphis and Arkansas? Any good? How will the weather be getting across the Appalachians that time of year (Feb/March)?
I-40 flattens out west of Nashville as you get into the Mississippi delta region. It goes through downtown Memphis and the bridge and skyline view there is pretty cool. Eastern Arkansas is all flat farmland but Western Arkansas has the Ozarks which is a scenic drive.

As far as weather, you could hit snow anywhere that time of year. Keep an eye on the forecast.

Quote:
So you think Mobile, Biloxi, Southern Louisiana are all boring? New Orleans and Houston the only worthwhile stops? Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Even so, I'd skip it. The rural stretches of I-10 are perhaps among the most mind-numbingly boring and non-scenic in the nation.
This.

If you want to do the Gulf Coast, I would recommend not taking the Interstate and instead taking US Hwy 98 or 90. I-10 for the most part bypasses everything worth seeing down there.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:54 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,970,582 times
I chose I-90 because it's the only one that I have seen almost nothing of. Only a few miles in the Seattle area and a few hours' worth in Wisconsin and Minnesota and that's it. I'd like to see more of that one.

I've been through almost the entirety of the I-70 / I-15 corridor, and it is amazing. Same deal, but a little less, with the I-40 corridor. Also been through most of I-10 and I-80. I'd like to see something new.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:49 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Quote:
I'll be going 2/3 the way across the country in late February/ early March. I was originally going to take a diagonal and direct route from Mass through PA, OH, IN, IL, stop in St. Louis, down to OKC where I then pick up I-40 to take to Albuquerque. This route is still subject to winter weather and I've never been to the deep south so I'm reconsidering my route and was actually thinking of driving due south and picking up I-10 around Mobile, AL and stopping in Biloxi, MS, New Orleans, Houston, and San Antonio and following I-10 all the way to NM. It adds about 800 more miles to the trip but I figure with improved weather, seeing those places I haven't been yet along the eastern half of I-10, might be worthwhile. Any thoughts?
You can't drive from Massachusette to Albuquerque and totally avoid old man winter - take Interstate 10 then shoot up Interstate 25 if I remember it correctly to the albuquerque/Santa Fe area.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:54 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,497,028 times
The 40 is the best.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:25 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
I guess I-70 could be considered cross-country given it runs all the way from Maryland to Utah, but it is not a truly transcontinental interstate. I'm not really sure I have a preference for any cross-country interstate...they all offer different things. On I-10, you get to experience the Florida coast, the Deep South swamplands, the Texas Plains, and the Desert Southwest. On I-40, you get to experience the Mojave Desert and the mountainous terrain of the southwest and southeast. On I-70 you get to experience the Appalachian mountains, the Midwest farmland in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, and Kansas, and the Rockies in Colorado and Utah. On I-80 you pass through some of the biggest cities in the country, drive along the Great Lakes, and enjoy a relatively boring drive across Iowa and Nebraska until you hit the rockies in Wyoming, Utah, and Nevada, and drive into beautiful Northern California. On I-90, you traverse some of the biggest cities in the country you traverse the mountains of the Northeast, skirt the Great Lakes, travel through the North Country, hit the Rockies in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and travel through mountainous Washington. I really can't say I have a favorite cross-country interstate. They all offer different things.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:47 PM

10,748 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I guess I-70 could be considered cross-country given it runs all the way from Maryland to Utah, but it is not a truly transcontinental interstate. I'm not really sure I have a preference for any cross-country interstate...they all offer different things.

On I-10, you get to experience the Florida coast, the Deep South swamplands, the Texas Plains, and the Desert Southwest.

On I-40, you get to experience the Mojave Desert and the mountainous terrain of the southwest and southeast.

On I-70 you get to experience the Appalachian mountains, the Midwest farmland in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, and Kansas, and the Rockies in Colorado and Utah.

On I-80 you pass through some of the biggest cities in the country, drive along the Great Lakes, and enjoy a relatively boring drive across Iowa and Nebraska until you hit the rockies in Wyoming, Utah, and Nevada, and drive into beautiful Northern California.

On I-90, you traverse some of the biggest cities in the country you traverse the mountains of the Northeast, skirt the Great Lakes, travel through the North Country, hit the Rockies in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and travel through mountainous Washington. I really can't say I have a favorite cross-country interstate. They all offer different things.

I considered I-70 as qualified since it run's from back east and across the continental divide like the others listed. Once it links up with I-15 it go's directly Southwest into Southern California. I've done I-70 before. The ride through Southern Utah, the Rockies and most especially Glenwood Canyon made it a memorable drive. Between Denver and Kansas City was beyond dull, though some of the reactionary right wing billboards were entertaining.

As I stated previously I'm prettty sure I'm going to dip south and then go across. I'm debating whether I should take I-40 from NC all the way to Albuquerque (seeing Asheville, the Appalachians, and Nashville enroute, or add hundred of extra miles and pick up I-10 in Mobile and have the benefit of better weather and seeing New Orleans & the Gulf Coast enroute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
You can't drive from Massachusetts to Albuquerque and totally avoid old man winter - take Interstate 10 then shoot up Interstate 25 if I remember it correctly to the albuquerque/Santa Fe area.
leaning towards this I think, though some say other than the highlighted stopovers the drive on I-10 is boring.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 11-15-2011 at 03:03 PM..

Old 11-15-2011, 04:59 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
I-70 gets my vote for one reason: the stretch of highway west of Denver, through the Eisenhower Tunnel, Vail Pass then through to Glenwood Canyon. Simply the most amazing stretch of highway on the entire interstate system.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:12 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I-70 gets my vote for one reason: the stretch of highway west of Denver, through the Eisenhower Tunnel, Vail Pass then through to Glenwood Canyon. Simply the most amazing stretch of highway on the entire interstate system.
I would have to agree there. I drove that stretch and boy does it bring back memories. I also have driven most of the stretch in Utah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.