Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 03:00 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times

Advertisements

I have seen this so many times that it makes me want to choke someone. I understand the U.S. has it's problems but it make me sick to my stomach when I read a thread regarding a foreigner talking about their country and comparing it to the U.S. where they will say the typical ignorant comments such as "Americans are fat-asses" or "Americans are ignorant of the world" and something stereotypical and a U.S. citizen will agree with them and throw up a list of how much better Europe or Asia or the rest of the world is compared to us. I have never understood this. It is so mind-blowing to me how people who have had opportunities and lifestyles and freedom they would have never had in any other country have the audacity to sit there and put another country up while tearing their own down. I don't get it. I have seen this time after time in the "World" forum. U.S. citizens who hate the U.S. will literally kiss European ass and talk to these foreigners about how much better their country is than ours. Has anyone seen this and have an opinion on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 03:26 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
They Ignore there problems, we evaluate them.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:29 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
"Why do US citizens put down their own country when having a discussion with a foreigner?"

It's a great way to get the foreigner to buy you several drinks. Maybe even set you up with his beautiful horny sister.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:46 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
It's mostly online and mostly appeasement at that. But in reality, people know better.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:10 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Well, you only have to watch a couple of Jay Leno's questions on the street segments to be pretty horrified at the astounding level of ignorance that typifies the "average American". I would say our reputation of being ignorant about the world is quite well deserved, not necessarily the urban, educated elite (and I consider elite a positive trait), but the "man on the street" in London, Paris, Tokyo, Beijing and Buenos Aires is likely to be a bit more culturally/politically and certainly geographically aware than our counterpoints here.

I love this country, flawed though it is, and pointing out its flaws as well as its strengths and comparing certain aspects to other countries that are similar but may have had better (or worse) results or experiences I find to be constructive, not necessarily a put down. Since we are no longer even in the top ten of just about every measured index for quality of life except for economic output
http://www.economist.com/media/pdf/QUALITY_OF_LIFE.pdf
it would behoove us to pay attention to how we might improve and get back on track in some of these areas.

The opportunities here remain the envy of the world and the entrepreneurial spirit and inventiveness are all still here. The supportive backbones of our system in education, healthcare, financial and governmental leadership have nonetheless eroded somewhat and ignoring these fundamental problems will only lead us further downward.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:54 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,616 times
We don't want to lie.

-Cheers.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:36 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
Because the other option is to simply state that "America is the best county in the world" and we know how that'll turn out.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:46 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Because America has issues and they have opinions.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:32 AM

600 posts, read 1,933,529 times
I agree and I don't understand it either.
And every country has idiots and dumb people. There are many shows in European countries where they asked basic questions and got the dumbest answer as well.

Another thing is the languages. Europe is smaller so yes everyone has to learn more than one. Many do not though.And many think they're intellectuals just because they speak more languages.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:59 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
I am actually more embarrassed by the other extreme: Americans who boast that "THIS IS THE BEST COUNTRY ON EARTH!!!" There are many great things about the US and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. There are countries however, where the health care is better and more affordable, that have a higher percentage of educated citizens, where nearly every citizen votes in the national elections, which have a lower poverty rate and other such attributes I admire more when contrasted with those of the US.

Having a balanced reasonable discussion on the the pros and cons of different countries is informative and healthy. Although not always true, I typically find those who hold the xenophobic view that "My country is best in all things" has rarely left their country's borders and viewed the pros and cons of other cultures first hand. By evaluating our own culture critically while looking outside of it to see how some things are done better elsewhere, we gain the tools and insights to make the US even better than it already is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.