Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2011, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,188 times

Advertisements

Hi All:

My wife and I have a difficult choice to make as to where we would like to move. A couple of years back, we moved to St. Louis, MO from New Haven, CT, and I must confess that we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here - in the mid-west. However, my wife has a couple of weeks before signing a job contract (as a Radiologist Professor) in any of following two reputed organizations; one's in the Central NY area, in Syracuse, and the other in Little Rock, AR. On the hind sight, I am currently exploring roles for consulting/ project management roles in either of these towns as of now.

We are fine with the snow, having stayed in New England for a long-time, or the heat. However, we have very little knowledge of these cities/towns and what we know has been pretty retrieved from website/government portals. Any advice you guys could offer us would definitely help? As I said, we have two week timeline (in worse case scenario we can extend it till Dec 25).

Cliffy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 01:34 PM

92,301 posts, read 122,548,691 times
What do you want to know about Syracuse? It does snow quite a bit, but it gets taken care of in a timely manner. Homes are relatively affordable, but the tax rates can be pretty high. There are programs available to help reduce taxes though. It is largely a pretty safe area. It is in a great location for day trips. Schools are generally good in the area(especially districts like Fayetteville-Manlius, Jamesville-DeWitt, Skaneateles, Westhill and West Genesee, among others). There are activities for families, but there are also some fine urban areas like Armory Square, Hanover Square, Tipperary Hill, Little Italy, Westcott and Eastwood). There are some nice villages like Liverpool, Skaneateles, Baldwinsville, Fayetteville, Manlius and Marcellus. Cazenovia, Chittenango, Canastota, Hamilton and Phoenix are nice villages in other counties in the metro. There are sporting events on the Division 1 level and high level minor league baseball and hockey, as well as indoor soccer.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:35 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,081,143 times
Syracuse metro isn't really growing but also isn't shrinking. Little Rock seems to be growing at a faster rate.

Syracusans are a little resistant to change. That may cut into the number of new projects that start up around here.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:02 PM

92,301 posts, read 122,548,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Syracuse metro isn't really growing but also isn't shrinking. Little Rock seems to be growing at a faster rate.

Syracusans are a little resistant to change. That may cut into the number of new projects that start up around here.
Perhaps, but many new projects have started already and while it isn't a lot, it did gain about 12,000 people over the past decade. Here's a good thread in regards to projects in the area: //www.city-data.com/forum/syrac...on-update.html

For the OP, it will be a matter of what you are looking for. I'm sure Little Rock has its share of good qualities too.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:14 PM

40 posts, read 57,513 times
Syracuse is a great place to live if you can put up with the snow and the cloudy weather. Some people embrace the cold and are very active outside and others hibernate. I do a little of both. Other than that you cant go wrong with Syracuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.