Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:37 AM

34 posts, read 82,540 times

Advertisements

Hey there I m thinking of traveling through out the us for like 1 year -/+... to be precise I wanna see all of the 50 States.

Now here is the thing I m still in the phase of planning the whole thing and need advice since I m not American and don't now any states besides NY.

I want you guys to tell me which cities or places are a must-see in every state. You can list more than one city/place in the same state but remember I need at least one city/place in each state. So please don't post the same cities/places over and over again.

Thank you guys I really appreciate your effort.

Last edited by verlorenersohn; 11-22-2011 at 09:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 10:16 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verlorenersohn View Post
Hey there I m thinking of traveling through out the us for like 1 year -/+... to be precise I wanna see all of the 50 States.

Now here is the thing I m still in the phase of planning the whole thing and need advice since I m not American and don't now any states besides NY.

I want you guys to tell me which cities or places are a must-see in every state. You can list more than one city/place in the same state but remember I need at least one city/place in each state. So please don't post the same cities/places over and over again.

Thank you guys I really appreciate your effort.
In Missouri, I would certainly check out the mysterious mounds that are just southwest of Columbia. It's speculated that these mounds might be either burial grounds or pyramids and are remnants of an ancient Indian civilization similar to the Inca and Mayans.

While you are passing through Missouri, I would recommend that you check out Shannon County which is the largest, but least populated county in the state and has striking natural beauty. While you are at it, you should also check out Taum Sauk state park which is the site of the highest point in Missouri at 1,1772 feet.

When you go through Arkansas, you MUST, MUST MUST drive on scenic Highway 7 through the Ouchita state park. There are extraordinary, breathtaking views over the valleys and surrounding mountains. If you can be there around the 15th - 20th of October, you will be treated to a fantastic display of color as the native trees display their colors.

Have a great trip.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-22-2011, 10:25 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Minnesota: go to Ely via Duluth and Hwy 61/Hwy 1 which is about 3 - 4 hours from Minneapolis/St Paul. Situated in the Boundary Waters Wilderness it will offer a base to explore what is the most unique aspect of Minnesota. Plenty of camping, biking, hiking and canoeing options from a few hours to a few days.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:30 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,168,736 times
Wow, that is quite an undertaking. Even in a year, it will be difficult to see all of the recommended sites in each state I'm sure (a week per state? Not much time, considering Texas is the size of France!)

I've traveled extensively across the US, but I'm most familiar with my home region of New England. Here are some of my personal recommendations for the New England states:

Maine
1. Acadia National Park & Downeast Maine
2. Camden
3. Baxter State Park
4. Pemaquid Point/Damariscotta/Wiscasset
5. Portland (Old Port & Cape Elizabeth)
6. Rangeley Lakes

New Hampshire
1. White Mountains (Franconia Notch State Park, Mt. Washington, Kanacmagus Highway)
2. Portsmouth & Isles of Shoals
3. Lake Winnipesaukee & Squam Lake (Wolfeboro, Sandwich, Castle in the Clouds)
4. Monadnock Region (Keene, Harrisville, Peterborough, Route 123)

Vermont
1. Burlington/Lake Champlain
2. Green Mountains/Route 100
3. Northeast Kingdom (Lake Willoughby, Burke Mountain)
4. Peacham/Cabot area
5. Woodstock/Grafton area
6. Mt. Equinox

Massachusetts
1. Boston/Cambridge
2. Cape Cod National Seashore (& Provincetown)
3. North Shore (Marblehead/Salem/Rockport/Newburyport)
4. Nantucket and/or Martha's Vineyard
5. Berkshires (Mt. Greylock, Hancock Shaker Village)
6. Deerfield
7. Old Sturbridge Village

Rhode Island
1. Newport
2. Jamestown/Beavertail State Park
3. Block Island
4. Providence (Downtown & College Hill)

Connecticut
1. Mystic
2. Yale University
3. Litchfield Hills (Kent, Route 7)
4. "Quiet Corner" (Route 169)

Old 11-22-2011, 10:31 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,410 times
Utah: Zion and Bryce National Parks. They are close to one another and absolutely breathtaking.

California: Redwood National Park. I also love the drive over Donner Pass which is off Interstate 80. Definitely not a good place to be in a bad storm though.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:38 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
Utah: Zion and Bryce National Parks. They are close to one another and absolutely breathtaking.

California: Redwood National Park. I also love the drive over Donner Pass which is off Interstate 80. Definitely not a good place to be in a bad storm though.
Unless you have family to invite for dinner, that is.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-22-2011, 11:48 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,514,622 times
In North Carolina:

Great Smoky Mountains on the border with Tennessee
Blue Ridge Parkway in the western part of the state
Charlotte is the state's biggest city & could be worth a stop
Raleigh is the capital of the state & several prestigious universities are within a 45 minute drive
The Outer Banks are home to the Wright Brothers Monument and some nice beach scenery
--
Just some ideas...

Old 11-22-2011, 12:03 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Michigan: The Detroit Institute of the Arts, one of the greatest collections in the country.
Ohio: Cleveland (on the way from NY to Detroit): either the Cleveland Museum of Art or a baseball game at "Progressive Field". If you wish to venture further south, I'd recommend the US Air Force Museum in Dayton.

As a Californian, I'd have to recommend most the Monterey Coast, but I'm sure it will be halfway between your inevitable drive between Northern & Southern California.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:42 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Yea traveling the US in one year sounds like you might not be able to see everything. You might have to make multiple trips if you really want to get a lot in. Anyway, here's a suggestion for my home state...

Michigan: Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes. Voted America's most beautiful place...that can be debated, but if people have voted for it, then it must be a must-see!

Old 11-22-2011, 01:04 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,675,210 times
That's about a week in each state. The whole of New England, though, can probably be done in a couple of weeks, giving you some wiggle room for the bigger states where getting around might take a bit more time.
I hope you plan to drive.

Colorado: From Denver, drive to Estes Park, then through the Rocky Mountain National Park to Grand Lake, over to Aspen, west to Grand Junction, South to Montrose, then Ouray, and Durango,to Mesa Verde, West form there along US-160. When you get to I-25, go north. If you have time take a rafting trip down the Royal Gorge near Canyon City, then back to Denver. Take a whole week to make the trip. Maybe two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.