Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is least racist
Alaska 2 3.92%
California 10 19.61%
DC 7 13.73%
Hawaii 12 23.53%
Texas 6 11.76%
Washington 5 9.80%
Maine 4 7.84%
Other 5 9.80%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 12:57 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times

Advertisements

Several liberal states have conservative areas.

And the same-sex-marriage/racial-tolerance thing doesn't correlate all that well. It's not like Massachusetts hasn't had racial issues in its history. Wisconsin never had restrictions on interracial marriage, but voted in an amendment against recognizing same-sex marriage.

Legal Map | Loving Day
CNN.com - Elections 2006

Granted Wisconsin, unlike Massachusetts, did have lynchings in its history. However all people lynched in Wisconsin were white, although I'd concede "White" might include Italians or in this case even Hispanics. And Milwaukee is a pretty segregated city, so maybe not the greatest example. Still three other states that never prohibited interracial marriage do not allow same-sex marriage.

Alaska
Hawaii
Minnesota
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 12:58 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Any answer is going to be debatable and a real answer might not be plausible in any event.

Like I might think it would be Hawaii since it's the most diverse and most mixed-race. However posters from Hawaii tend to dispute that and some things I've read about Filipino-Hawaiians or indigenous Hawaiians make me uncertain.
Hawaii is the only place in the US where I've almost gotten my cracker ass beat simply for having white skin. Twice. Not just native Hawaiians really, but the Fillipinos in Hawaii speak of "Haoles" just as much. Racism is still racism, a questionable history doesn't excuse the present.

Kill Haole Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The practice has died down, but I know people from Hawaii that I went to college with that said it was going on as recently as the late 90s or early part of the 2000s.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:44 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Mississippi.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:15 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,096,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Several liberal states have conservative areas.

And the same-sex-marriage/racial-tolerance thing doesn't correlate all that well. It's not like Massachusetts hasn't had racial issues in its history. Wisconsin never had restrictions on interracial marriage, but voted in an amendment against recognizing same-sex marriage.

Legal Map | Loving Day
CNN.com - Elections 2006

Granted Wisconsin, unlike Massachusetts, did have lynchings in its history. However all people lynched in Wisconsin were white, although I'd concede "White" might include Italians or in this case even Hispanics. And Milwaukee is a pretty segregated city, so maybe not the greatest example. Still three other states that never prohibited interracial marriage do not allow same-sex marriage.

Alaska
Hawaii
Minnesota
One thing I will point out about Massachusetts is that Boston was not very friendly to blacks at all. During one murder of whites, it was suspected that the killer was black, I forget the exact details...all I know is that every black in the city was rounded up just to find out who committed the crime. Thousands of people's lives were disrupted. The Irish element in Boston I think definitely made Boston, I don't know about the rest of Massachusetts, but at least Boston, fairly racially intolerant. Segregation these days really has nothing to do with the kind of racism that went on in the 1960s. It may be an indirect result of it, but that kind of racism is no longer the reason why it's being maintained. It has more to do with social class...and unfortunately race still happens to correspond with social class in many cases...and today,white people are not entirely to blame for that either, as, and I hate to say this, but it is largely true....many African Americans generally don't care about getting good grades in school...most of the black kids i went to high school with were more interested in gang activity, socializing, and skipping school. There were a few good students, but not many. It seems like many African Americans and Hispanics just don't value education the way immigrants from Europe, the Middle East, and India do. In fact, many minorities these days are just as racist if not more racist than whites are. Today's kind of segregation, while it may have arisen from ideas of the Civil Rights era, is essentially being sustained for different reasons. That's just my take. I am also predicting that at some point, Minnesota will allow same-sex marriage. Same thing for Wisconsin and Michigan. States I do not see accepting gay marriage anytime soon are the rest of the Midwest outside of the Upper Midwest and Iowa, all of the South, and the Mid-Atlantic, and most of the West. California I would think might be generous toward it, but it's only the extreme northern and western areas of the country that i would imagine to be tolerant enough to allow same-sex marriage.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:05 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,267,956 times
I went with Texas because I thought it would bother the OP the most.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:34 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,767,637 times
Hawaii is the place where you're most likely to find someone that's mix of Romanian, Jamaican, and Cambodian.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:36 PM

654 posts, read 1,910,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Hawaii is the only place in the US where I've almost gotten my cracker ass beat simply for having white skin. Twice. Not just native Hawaiians really, but the Fillipinos in Hawaii speak of "Haoles" just as much. Racism is still racism, a questionable history doesn't excuse the present.

Kill Haole Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The practice has died down, but I know people from Hawaii that I went to college with that said it was going on as recently as the late 90s or early part of the 2000s.
It's not racism when it is against whites. Duh!

Old 11-30-2011, 10:18 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I consider that a form of racism...anything discriminatory is the same thing as racism.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:36 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
It's not racism when it is against whites. Duh!
I have heard people seriously argue that "racism" is an institutional structure not a viewpoint or attitude. So they would believe there could be "racism against whites" only if whites were disadvantaged compared to other groups. Like if Hawaii punished alcohol-crimes more harshly than similar drug-crimes, whites commit alcohol-related offenses more than about any other race, that could be "racist" in that view just as punishing crack so harshly is "institutional racism." Or if Hawaiian officials "strip-searched" whites to a disproportionate degree due to racial profiling. However non-White Hawaiian civilians hating white people, or even black people, is irrelevant to racism because individual action/sentiment is irrelevant. It's very weird talking with people like that, but they do kind of exist on the fringes of the Left.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:22 PM

604 posts, read 1,521,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I think that's a pretty difficult question to answer today....I would guess that the best way to answer that question is to look at which states permit gay marriage, as those states generally were the most racially tolerant of blacks. .

Although I would be careful of that assumption. Resistance to gay marriage is pretty high in the African American community. Right now in Nigeria there is a amendment to ban homosexual behavior. Theoretically speaking a person could be tolerant of many races and have a general disdain towards gays and lesbians.

Just because someone is not racist, does not mean they don't display prejudice towards homosexuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.