Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 06:44 AM

69 posts, read 98,092 times

Advertisements

I too am looking at Rochester. I have an interview scheduled for later this month but we're former NYS residents (mostly downstate and also family in Capital Region). We are in NC right now. Lived in Raleigh for 10 years and are now in the mountains of NC. Comparatively (using Sperling's), Rochester does have many advantages over NC. Cost of living is better in Rochester even with NYS taxes. Your pay check will go further. All my research says YES for Rochester. Best of luck with the interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 07:01 AM

120 posts, read 338,778 times
The nice thing about going to a new place is no one has preconceive notions of who you are. Take this opportunity to define that. Also, it is what you make it. Think of what your interests are. As far as finding a job. Once you get here start networking. That can be done a bunch of ways. Join the Y, take a Pilates Class at the local rec. center, find a running club (if you run, I don't) church or temple, volunteer. If Hillside looks good to and they don't have any openings, volunteer there. But all that stuff is out there.

Like I said, we will probably be moving within the next year. Everytime I even get a bite I look for Irish Dance Schools for my daughter, what are the state laws around homeschooling, can I find an Autism support group with programs for my son etc. as these are things that are important for our family. So far our possiblities are Denver, Cleveland, Boston and Northern VA. Tomorrow it could be somewhere else.

As you settle in you'll get to know people and they know people etc. And not just for jobs but for you own emotional well being which extends to you family.

For a small city Rochester has a lot to offer. I mentioned the music programs in that The Eastman School of Music which is one of the best music schools in the Country, is here. So there are a lot of opportunities for music classes and the like.

Again, good luck with everything!

Old 12-03-2011, 08:52 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,371,183 times
To the OP, the friendliness & helpfulness you see from Rochester folks on this thread is really a microcosm of what you would encounter living here. I moved here from the South 26 years ago & have never looked back. It is a great place to raise a child. Best of luck to you!

Old 12-03-2011, 09:15 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,820,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbrite View Post
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I appreciate it. I guess I am just worried about moving to a new place, and yes we'll have a much better income which will make life a ton easier, but then have the same problems that we had before (other than the income), but with less to do. I'm concerned that we'll move out there and I still won't be able to find a job, we won't meet friends, etc.

I think I would really rather stay in in the Twin Cities because I do enjoy the quality of life here, there's tons to do, etc. Unforunately though, I do not know how long we would have to wait for us to really make a decent living here. Like I said, we're barely making ends meet b/c, we can barely pay rent and bills. It's hard to watch everyone else here do very well, be able to join activities, etc. and really partake in what this city has to offer whereas we can only limited things because we can't afford anything.

But I am more open to Rochester. Who knows, we may or may not even move there depending on the job interview. I just don't know how much longer we can wait it out here in the Twin Cities, life is really miserable right now. My husband's family who lives here says to wait it out one more year but I just don't think we can do that. Before we moved here we were in the military and had to move every couple of years. We just want to live somewhere where we can make a decent living and have be able to enjoy life without constantly worried about how we can pay for things. I'm not talking about a life of luxury either, we just can't afford to pursue hobbies, etc. or adequately pay for things our child needs and despite how high the quality of life here in the Twin Cities is, every day I start thinking it would be better to just move somewhere were at least one of us has a decent job.
I'm in the same boat in NE Ohio right now, and I want to move back to Minneapolis, ironically! I am not sure where you are from and what you are comparing Minneapolis to, but I feel like you may be giving it an unfair shakedown, or else you live in a very boring suburb or something (not in the city). I don't know, but some suburbs and towns are clearly not as interesting as others (e.g. Lakeville, IMO). In terms of friendships, there are countless forums on the subject in the Minneapolis-St. Paul forum you should check out, but my advice would be that, if you are in the suburbs, you're going to have to work pretty hard for the friendships you make, but they will last forever. If you are in the city, I have a difficult time believing that anyone who tries can't find new friends there, because it's a very friendly city itself. That being said, sometimes a place just isn't for you, and that's okay. Regardless, I wouldn't (and won't) move if I were you until you or your husband (or both) find new employment -- even if it's in Minneapolis, in which case, it sounds like you should move to a new part of town. Don't move and expect life to change around your needs.....it never works that way.

Just my advice.....good luck!

Old 12-03-2011, 12:41 PM

329 posts, read 456,557 times
Hi everyone, thanks again for your advice, I really appreciate it!

West336, I don't want to give the impression that I am critcizing Minneapolis-St. Paul, it is an absolutely wonderful place to live. That's exactly why I don't want to move. And absolutely perfect for families.

But I'm really finding that as folks have been saying, it doesn't matter how great a city is if you don't have decent employment there. That has been very true in our case. Yes, we wouldn't move unless we do have a job first, that's exactly what we would be doing.

We just can't do the things we want to do b/c we can't afford it. The reason as can't afford it is b/c neither of us has a decent job in Minneapolis- St. Paul, that's pretty much the gist of it. My husband has an entry-level job and I am a stay-at-home Mom looking to return to the workforce but haven't landed a job in one a half years. (I'm looking for a professional one that would allow me to pay for child care)

I appreciate the feedback esp. about how to do a proper job search too everyone, I obviously am terrible at it. I have applied mostly for government agencies, the same ones over and over again. I have not cast the net wide with a variety of organizations- both public and private- as I am finding by reading some of your posts here.

Many things revolve around having a decent job. I can give you an example of what I am talking about. I just returned from a parents group that I am part of, doing some volunteering for a holiday festival for kids. Everyone there is doing fine financially. Most of them have multiple children because they can easily afford it. They are not struggling like we are. They don't have the same problems and issues that we have to deal with everyday. They can live their life the way they want to, being involved in activities they want to do. I just feel so sorry for myself and my family, it's awful not be able to afford things-not luxuries -but just things to live your life. And it's difficult to make friends with people you feel like you don't have much in common with. They are discussing buying the more gadgets and gizmos- Kindles, I-Phones, etc. and you are wondering what you will do if your car breaks down and how will you pay for repairs (or another car altogether if it comes to it) They can afford things for their kids and you and your child constantly go without things that are needed but that you simply can't afford.

Anyway, I don't want to keep bringing this up b/c I am sounding like a broken record. The important thing is that if we end up moving to Rochester it will be a great city to live in.

Thanks again for everyone's reponses. I've learned very valuable information and received great advice in the short amount of time just reading everyone's posts here than I have in a long time, and really appreciate you reaching out to help us. It has really opened our eyes and hearts to how amazing Rochester and the people are.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:23 PM

Still curious where in the Twin Cities you live......some of the people you encounter sound a bit snobby and not very down-to-Earth, which is sort of what you're complaining about as well. I know that exists (does in every city) but certainly not metro-wide....not even close.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:48 PM

We lived in Eden Prairie before, and now we live in Minneapolis. I don't want to give the wrong impression, people are very friendly here, it's just that b/c we are struggling financially since neither of us has a decent job we feel very isolated, that's all. I think in general the job market in Minneapolis- St. Paul is very good (I know you are considering moving back here) but the reason that we are open to moving (to any state, really at this point) is because my husband cannot find a job in his field of government here. He is a mid-level professional and he has only been able to get entry-level positions here in his field. He is not open to any job because he has invested very heavily into his career and wants a position in a specific field, and one at the mid-level range, not an entry level position with all the experience that he has. Now, this has been his experience here. Someone else who is in the same field as my husband may be able to land a job very easily in
Minn.-St. Paul, this is just the experience that we have had. So that's why we are opening his job search to not only Minneapolis St. Paul, but cities outside of Minnesota as well.

And because we are a family, this situation is more urgent and critical for us. If it was just me, or just my husband and I, maybe I/we could wait it out longer, I/we could deal with this dire financial situation more readily perhaps. However, we have a toddler (and those of you with kids know how the expenses just keep adding up, they need new clothes, they grow out of this or that, etc.) and so there's much more of an urgency to improve our situation.

It has taken us a while to get to this point, where we are finally open to moving outside of Minnesota, because I was very reluctant at first because it's so family-friendly here. But now I understand that for us, it's the best decision. Now we are still applying for positions in Minn.-St. Paul, if we are able to land something here we could certainly re-evaluate and end up staying here. But we are longer limiting ourselves only Minnesota, we are open to moving to other states if necessary.

Anyway, we're hopeful for the future, that's all that matters now. Good luck to anyone else considering a move and/or looking for new employment opportunities/improving their situation. We wish you the very best. And thanks again everyone for your comments, insights, suggestions, questions, etc. We appreciate all the feedback.

Last edited by Sunbrite; 12-03-2011 at 09:17 PM..

Old 12-04-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbrite View Post
We lived in Eden Prairie before, and now we live in Minneapolis. I don't want to give the wrong impression, people are very friendly here, it's just that b/c we are struggling financially since neither of us has a decent job we feel very isolated, that's all. I think in general the job market in Minneapolis- St. Paul is very good (I know you are considering moving back here) but the reason that we are open to moving (to any state, really at this point) is because my husband cannot find a job in his field of government here. He is a mid-level professional and he has only been able to get entry-level positions here in his field. He is not open to any job because he has invested very heavily into his career and wants a position in a specific field, and one at the mid-level range, not an entry level position with all the experience that he has. Now, this has been his experience here. Someone else who is in the same field as my husband may be able to land a job very easily in
Minn.-St. Paul, this is just the experience that we have had. So that's why we are opening his job search to not only Minneapolis St. Paul, but cities outside of Minnesota as well.

And because we are a family, this situation is more urgent and critical for us. If it was just me, or just my husband and I, maybe I/we could wait it out longer, I/we could deal with this dire financial situation more readily perhaps. However, we have a toddler (and those of you with kids know how the expenses just keep adding up, they need new clothes, they grow out of this or that, etc.) and so there's much more of an urgency to improve our situation.

It has taken us a while to get to this point, where we are finally open to moving outside of Minnesota, because I was very reluctant at first because it's so family-friendly here. But now I understand that for us, it's the best decision. Now we are still applying for positions in Minn.-St. Paul, if we are able to land something here we could certainly re-evaluate and end up staying here. But we are longer limiting ourselves only Minnesota, we are open to moving to other states if necessary.

Anyway, we're hopeful for the future, that's all that matters now. Good luck to anyone else considering a move and/or looking for new employment opportunities/improving their situation. We wish you the very best. And thanks again everyone for your comments, insights, suggestions, questions, etc. We appreciate all the feedback.
You and I sound like we are almost exactly in the same position (we have a toddler -- 2 -- as well and I can't find anything at my experience level with 6+ years of experience). We also need to expand our search criteria to include other cities in the Midwest and possibly elsewhere. I JUST NEED A JOB TO SUPPORT MY FAMILY! It's really all on me right now (like your husband) because my job supports the family income (wife works in daycare, although she SHOULD be in specialized therapy or psychology).

It DOES come down to what is best for the family, and I want to sit my wife down and literally prioritize our needs and determine a good approach to satisfy them.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:04 PM

West336- I would go one step further and suggest to you that you do consider not only the Midwest, but other places as well right from the beginning. We made the mistake of limiting ourselves, and we have been through a lot of horrible struggling, and we don't wish that on anyone else. Had we been more practical and reasonable and open to moving from the beginning, I'm sure we would have landed something by now. Don't make the mistake we made, it's been very costly and hurt our family. Keep in mind too that the economy is part of the equation. If the economy was great, yes, you could probably wait and then be able to find a job exactly where you've always wanted to live. But we have a tough economy right now. So you have to go where you get the opportunities.

I can tell you it's a whole lot nicer to be able to apply for a bunch of jobs in a variety of states rather than relying on a handful just in one city or state, and getting frustrated because there's just not enough opporutunities available there.

Good luck to you and your family.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:53 PM

Default Update

Just thought folks would appreciate an update. My husband never heard back from his interview, and I don't think it was a right match for him anyway. But I just landed a job at a local college/university!!!!! (which ironically enough is where some folks suggested I should be looking at, which was one of the places I was applying to) So we will be staying in the Twin Cities after all. And, my husband is relieved too, we have moved so much already and liked where we live, now we can actually live here now that I found a job.

Thanks so much for your support and feedback everyone, we'll be sure to visit Rochester, and one thing I know for sure, the people of Rochester are very friendly and insightful.

Happy 2012!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.