Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 07:58 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Fatter than Georgia, huh? Did you happen to look at the map and realize how many more counties Georgia has with a greater than 30% obesity rating than Missouri? And the highly obese counties encompass the urban ones as well. As far as Virginia goes, the heavily obese areas are in pretty populated areas of the state too. Richmond, Portsmouth, Hampton Roads, etc. If you look, you'll notice that St. Louis, Kansas City, and Springfield, where the majority of the state's population resides, all have fairly low obesity rates. The simple fact that Virginia and Georgia have high obesity rates in counties that are heavily urban to me states that these states largely pride themselves on eating fattening food, and that it's not just a poverty issue.
Looking at the map, metro Atlanta has low counties and high counties.
Cherokee, Cobb, Gwinnett, Fayette, and Forsyth counties are low, while Clayton, Dekalb, Paulding, and Henry are higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 09:05 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,799,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Good catch. You can also see Kansas, Oklahoma and Nebraska. In contrast, look how well Colorado does!

In fact, while Texas, Illinois and Wisconsin are not perfect, note how much better they are than some of the surrounding states

For instance, you can actually see a difference between Wisconsin and the dark blue of the UP of Michigan. Can any one from that area explain the reason why?
Ive lived in Michigan my whole life, and part of it in the UP. I have no explenation for this, Ive never noticed people in Wisconsin to be any thinner than those of us in Michigan. I guess acording to this we are a fat state, and that is no suprise. Boy Im hungry, I think im going to go get some Culvers or maybe a Big Boy. lol

Old 12-06-2011, 02:48 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
MO has rural pockets of many counties where the poverty rate is near or around 30% according to the census bureau. Most of the higher numbers are along and southeast of I-44.
I think we're getting confused here. I'm talking about 30% of the county's population being obese....yes, obviously high poverty rates cause high obesity, but to say that because 30% are obese means 30% are in poverty is a stretch to say the least. You're referring to south central and southeast Missouri, in the heart of the Ozarks, and poor soil and topography play a huge role in this poverty. Even with the 30% poverty rate, few of these counties have obesity rates which are greater than 30%.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:20 AM

399 posts, read 820,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Those who have Scottish or Scots-Irish ancestry tend to be more issues with obesity. could be a genetic component.
You have no proof about that. There are also many people of English, Welsh and French descent in the South and Scotland isn't a country known for it high obesity rates. I would say it's a matter of culture.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Cherokee, Cobb, Gwinnett, Fayette, and Forsyth counties are low, while Clayton, Dekalb, Paulding, and Henry are higher.
The core counties appear to be very high in obesity. Fulton and Cobb in particular.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
THat still is a characteristic of the south, and proves that Atlanta is one of the fatter metros. The south is among the only regions, possibly the only one, where the obesity rates in the metro areas exceed 30% and are capable of matching the rural areas. you can water it down all you want to, but you'll never be able to deny Atlanta is the south or that what I just said isn't true.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Obviously the perceptions of extensive Texas obesity were wrong, which I already knew. Take that, Men's Fitness rubbish!
I'm honestly of the belief that hispanics might be diluting the obesity rates in Texas, or the simple fact that many people in Texas came from other regions of the country. Texas' local cuisine by and large is identical to that of the south plus the Mexican influences. It's huge size and population might be why it doesn't match up with the rest of those areas. Obviously just a theory, but a good one nonetheless.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Kentucky and West Virginia have low black populations. Most of eastern Kentucky as well as West Virginia have higher obesity issues, likely the result of high poverty.

Missouri is "fatter" than Georgia, Florida, and Virginia.
You should learn to read. I was referring to counties colored black, not black populations...how hard is that to understand?

Old 12-06-2011, 06:59 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Wow Alaska surprised me!
At least they all hunt for there food
Surprised you? All that blubber they eat?

Old 12-06-2011, 07:16 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I'm honestly of the belief that hispanics might be diluting the obesity rates in Texas, or the simple fact that many people in Texas came from other regions of the country. Texas' local cuisine by and large is identical to that of the south plus the Mexican influences. It's huge size and population might be why it doesn't match up with the rest of those areas. Obviously just a theory, but a good one nonetheless.
First part: Nah, that's not it. Hispanic adult obesity rate in TX is 32.7 and white is 25.5, at least a couple years ago (last stat I found). However you're right that there are lots of transplants in the major pop. centers in TX so that might affect the data. Also cuisine is not identical to the south! I'm not saying it's much healthier (it's not) but it's definitely different. Obviously both regions have some of the worst obesity problems in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.