Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,713 times

Advertisements

Dear friends,

I'm a 21 year-old male from Southeastern Europe, and I just got a US immigrant visa. Now, I need to make a decision which will most likely carve the path for my future. The dilemma is: where to move and start from zero? I've lurked around this forum for a while, and have seen that people here are friendly and very helpful, so I'm hoping you'll chime in with your opinions. Let me give you some information about my background first.

I'm currently a first-year student at an art-school here in my native country. In the past, I've attended two different universities in different places, and had to leave for various reasons. I'm not an eager, overzealous student, but I don't hate school either.

Now that I'm planning to move to the US in order to maintain my Green Card, I'll need to start school from scratch, as most schools will not accept my previous credits. This will obviously be one of my main concerns when determining the town/state of my residence. I don't really have someone to lean on in the States, so I'll have to build a new life from nothing, completely relying on my own forces. Therefore, I need your help to determine the region/state/town where I would most likely succeed in achieving my goals. I realize there will be hardships everywhere, but I gotta hustle and make it work.

So, these are some of the most important aspects that should influence my decision.

Job availability: Since I don't have a degree yet, I'm fully aware I will have to work sucky jobs at first. I have work experience in my native country, but I'm pretty sure it won't mean shyt in America. I'm fluent in English, and willing/able to work a variety of jobs (bartending, clerical jobs etc). This would probably be my main criterion when it comes to picking a place. Basically, finding a city with a job market that is friendly to new immigrants.

Nature: I'm a huge fan of the outdoors (hiking, camping, running) and it's profoundly important to me that I move to a place where I can pursue these activities. This doesn't mean I want to move to Glacier Park because obviously I have to make a rational decision, and take into account the fact that my next hometown needs to offer opportunities, not only pine trees and hiking trails. However, I don't want to move to a very big city either. I've been to New York before, and I find it completely suffocating.

Friendly people and environment: I consider myself to be very liberal, however I'm also tolerant and respecting of other people's views. I am not religious, but I have very religious friends, and we get along perfectly well (except for the occasional existential debates). I would prefer to live in a place where people are less conservative and open to foreigners/new immigrants. I am white and I barely have an accent, so I think that would work to my advantage (as bad as it sounds, I've witnessed some Americans -especially in the Midwest- be rather racist to people of color.) I'm not a hippie by any means, but I love art-house cinema and arts in general, so this is a factor as well.

Cheap rent and living expenses: For obvious reasons.

Efficient public transportation: I plan to buy a car sometimes in the future, but in the beginning, I'd need to move around by other means of transportation. That's why I'm looking for a city that has a decent transportation system.

School: I definitely plan to go back to school at some point and obtain a degree. However, I'm not sure how in-state tuition works. Is there a specific amount of time you need to spend living somewhere to be considered in-state? If this is case, I would obviously prefer to move to a state that offers many options education wise.

There are probably other things that I should take into account, but these are the most important. I really don't care what part of America I move to, as long as it satisfies (or comes close to satisfying) the above mentioned criteria. So any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

I'm very curious about your ideas. Thank you so much!!!

Last edited by Landscape22; 12-02-2011 at 06:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 06:05 PM

2 posts, read 1,713 times
Albania, but quite accustomed to American/world culture.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:32 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
I’m under the impression that most art is established (for the most part) in New York City on the east coast and LA on the west coast. There are of course exceptions to this however these two locations seem to be the hubs for art, companies that deal with art, and art schools. I’m sure you can find some art and the associated industries elsewhere however it may not be the same as the two locations I mentioned. Phoenix has a couple of art schools but they don’t have the “other” associated art needs nor do they have the reputation that NY or LA would have. I would have to say the NY & LA are the “art” hubs of America.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:40 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Pittsburgh. Good Arts Community, Cheap coast of living, surrounded bu mopuntains, lakes and rivers. . Good Transportation. large Slavic population,

Old 12-10-2011, 04:35 PM

6 posts, read 14,065 times
Default Missoula, MT may be the place

I attended the University of Montana in Missoula and loved it! The campus is nestled up against the mountains and the climate is milder than other places in Montana. Missoula is the second largest city in Montana, but only has a population around 110,000. It is known for being a very relaxed atmosphere, full of outdoors enthusiasts, and the most culturally diverse place in Montana. Many people would say that it is probably the most liberal place in Montana. There are hiking trails within city limits and a river runs right through it and alongside campus. Students hitchhike or take the bus up to the nearby ski slopes, use the extensive bike trails/lanes, and it has a cozy-fun downtown with a decent night life. We would always drive half an hour to the seeley-swan area where there is endless camping, waterfall hikes, lakes, fishing, biking, boating, and etc. Plus, you can drive about 2 more hours to reach Glacier Park, which is my most favorite place in Montana.

There are some negatives to living in Montana though. The cities/towns are spread out and the climate can be pretty cold depending on what you are used to.

Check it out, you may like it.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:43 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,820 times
I would think Austin or Denver would be pretty good fits- you pretty much can't beat Denver when it comes to outdoor activities, it actually owns a ski resort which it operates as a city park.

Let me also say that your English is impeccable, better than probably 99% of native speakers, especially at your age. That will really come in handy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.