Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 06:22 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Louisiana is only 28% Catholic. Louisiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia From my experiences there it is just as much Bible Belt as anywhere else, but this is only opinion so if that is yours then okay.
I like to think about things on a county level (or Parish level, for Louisiana). Northern Louisiana is very much bible belt. Living in a state with such sharp cultural divides teaches you that you to think on a county level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 07:02 PM

814 posts, read 1,476,009 times
Quote:
Louisiana is only 28% Catholic. Louisiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia From my experiences there it is just as much Bible Belt as anywhere else, but this is only opinion so if that is yours then okay.
The great majority of those Catholics are located in South Louisiana (as GunnerTHB pointed out). Here are some interesting maps.

http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo...n/catholic.gif

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-w-XhLLT4Hg...ap_baptist.gif

Old 09-16-2012, 10:25 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
Texas is too big to throw in the Bible Belt. Texas for the most part isn't as religious I feel as the rest of the south and then you hit the capital which is Austin. It's almost like someone picked up a city in the Pacific Northwest and dropped it in Texas.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:29 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
It's too depressing to even wade through the list. I'm sure somebody will nail it spot on.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:07 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times
Quote:
The city I live in plus surrounding parishes are heavily Catholic. Upwards of 90%.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:04 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I wonder the same thing about New Mexico.
Roman Catholic Hispanic population, but not bible belt mindset in the Southwest.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:55 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
non-urban parts of states below the mason dixon line.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:16 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
The great majority of those Catholics are located in South Louisiana (as GunnerTHB pointed out). Here are some interesting maps.

http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo...n/catholic.gif

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-w-XhLLT4Hg...ap_baptist.gif
I'm sure you guys know what you're talking about, but I always thought that the Catholics in southern Louisiana were quite a bit different from Catholics in other areas of the U.S. Maybe it's due to being part of the Bible Belt - I don't know. Or maybe it's just the culture of the South that makes them different...but it still feels like the Bible Belt down there to me.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:06 PM

814 posts, read 1,476,009 times
Quote:
I'm sure you guys know what you're talking about, but I always thought that the Catholics in southern Louisiana were quite a bit different from Catholics in other areas of the U.S. Maybe it's due to being part of the Bible Belt - I don't know. Or maybe it's just the culture of the South that makes them different...but it still feels like the Bible Belt down there to me.
I always thought Bible Belt was related to evangelical groups like Baptists. Since South Louisiana is dominated by Catholics, then that in my mind would mean it is different than the bible belt. I also doubt Louisiana Catholics are that different than Catholics in other areas. They all follow the same doctrine. Though some of the Catholic population is probably more rural compared to other places. I definelty know the Catholics in the New Orleans area are far from a typical Bible Belt community. But there still are a good amount of Baptists in the New Orleans area (especially with the large Black population) but they are greatly over-shadowed by Catholics. Actually the new president of the Southern Baptist Convention is a Black New Orleanian. Also compared to New Orleans, Acadiana is even more Catholic and less Baptists by percentage.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:35 PM

375 posts, read 800,431 times
Just wondering, are there any mini bible belts in the north? By this i mean places that could be part of the bible belt but are outlyers. The only placeI can think of is Colorado Springs, CO. I don't see Denver as very religious, while CO Springs has Focus on the Family and New Life Church and a lot of other ministries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.