Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 09:47 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,797,006 times

Advertisements

This is tricker than the yankee-South question.

But I think there still is a Bible Belt. Its where you start to see a lot of "Get right with God" signs on the road and hear Southern Gospel music stations.

To me the Bible Belt starts at about the eastern pandhandle of West Virginia down through the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia- (cutting out Northern Virginia) then down through Richmond all the way to north Florida out through the Deep South states and then as far west as Kansas/Missouri

Like a Belt !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 10:27 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
The Bible Belt as far as I know goes as far west as Oklahoma, Texas, Southern Kansas, and Southern Missouri and maybe even parts of Southern Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio (extreme Southern parts)...one thing to note...the Bible Belt and the South do not mean the exact same thing to me because it has extended slightly further north throughout the years...in fact, the Southern Baptist Convention dominated Indianapolis for years and possibly still does. But other than that, yes I think agree with you. The Bible Belt definitely completely encompasses the entire South, and the Bible is adhered to all the more the further south you go. Florida may be less dominated by the Bible Belt than the rest of the South, but you can tell in Orlando that it is very strong.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
The Bible Belt as far as I know goes as far west as Oklahoma, Texas, Southern Kansas, and Southern Missouri and maybe even parts of Southern Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio (extreme Southern parts)...one thing to note...the Bible Belt and the South do not mean the exact same thing to me because it has extended slightly further north throughout the years...in fact, the Southern Baptist Convention dominated Indianapolis for years and possibly still does. But other than that, yes I think agree with you. The Bible Belt definitely completely encompasses the entire South, and the Bible is adhered to all the more the further south you go. Florida may be less dominated by the Bible Belt than the rest of the South, but you can tell in Orlando that it is very strong.
Yes I think the southern areas of the Midwest are that way. Midwestern states are still Midwestern- but in the extreme southern portions there are what are known as "little Dixies". Illinois for example is one of those areas. The cultural gap between southern Illinois and the Chicago area is outstanding- not to mention the geographical distance as well. Parts of Illinois go as far south as Tennessee.

So its hard to say that those people aren't Southerners.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:52 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Yes I think the southern areas of the Midwest are that way. Midwestern states are still Midwestern- but in the extreme southern portions there are what are known as "little Dixies". Illinois for example is one of those areas. The cultural gap between southern Illinois and the Chicago area is outstanding- not to mention the geographical distance as well. Parts of Illinois go as far south as Tennessee.

So its hard to say that those people aren't Southerners.
I personally think that the entire Lower Midwest (Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio) should have certain parts of it included in the Bible Belt, Missouri probably moreso than the latter three...it is slightly more influenced by the South than the other Midwestern states mentioned besides it. If not partially, then certain parts of these states have to be included, simply because the Bible Belt does not just simply evaporate upon crossing into these states....obviously, any state which has a Southern state bordering it is going to have some Bible Belt influences to it as well. Pennsylvania and Maryland and Delaware I would bet have some Bible Belt influences to them given how close they are to Virginia and West Virginia. However all the aforementioned states, while they have certain parts leaning towards the Bible Belt, are not dominated by the Bible Belt. That much I can state for certain. The Bible Belt influence starts eroding away in the Lower Midwest and as you approach DC. I think it would be safe to include most of West Virginia in the Bible Belt. I'm predicting that the boundaries of the Bible Belt will be pushed further north still...they have moved further north over the last century for sure.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:51 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
This is a pretty definition, and not much to quibble with.

The Bible Belt definitely includes all the Old Confederate states plus Kentucky, Oklahoma and large parts of West Virginia and Missouri. However, there are anamolies, noteably in parts of south and trans-pecos Texas, southern Louisiana, and southern Florida due to the heavy Catholic/hispanic influence.

This link provides a pretty good map of the extent of the Bible Belt:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-BibleBelt.png

Old 08-29-2007, 11:13 AM

492 posts, read 2,371,699 times
I swear Lancaster County, PA is in the Bible Belt.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:22 PM

27 posts, read 142,736 times
sorry to burst anyones bubble but Florida is not considered the Bible belt. The Bible belt is mid western states. Indiana etc etc.. It doesnt mean there are not God fearing people in other states, But when refereing to the Bible belt, tack Indiana in and scratch off Florida.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtboy1961 View Post
sorry to burst anyones bubble but Florida is not considered the Bible belt. The Bible belt is mid western states. Indiana etc etc.. It doesnt mean there are not God fearing people in other states, But when refereing to the Bible belt, tack Indiana in and scratch off Florida.
And the Southern states. Pat Robertson has the 700 Club in Va Beach, VA. Don't forget Jerry Fallwell and Billy Graham who both are from the South as well.
Not many evangelists seem to come from New England or Chicago.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:06 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,773 times
I didn't think Indiana was considered in the Bible Belt? They've always been Southern states with maybe a little bit of crossover in states that border the South. Or is that what you mean?

Old 08-29-2007, 04:48 PM

151 posts, read 739,636 times
ENTIRLEY IN BIBLE BELT:
Virginia
Kentucky
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Alabama
Mississippi
Arkansas
Missouri
Tennesee
Oklahoma
Kansas
Nebraska
South Dakota
North Dakota

PARTIALLY IN BIBLE BELT:
Maryland (Southern and Eastern MD only)
Delaware (South of I-95)
West Virginia (Not the northern panhandle)
Ohio (Southern Areas)
Indiana (Southern areas)
Illinois (Southern areas)
Iowa (Southern and Western areas)
Florida (Not South of Orlando)
Texas (West Texas not included)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.