Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 05:40 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times

Advertisements

Even more stunning is that 57% of all African Americans now live in the south. I would assume that number will only get higher in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 06:25 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Even during the Great Migration, a majority of Blacks lived in the South, although I don't know what the figures were by the decade.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:49 PM

93,275 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Even during the Great Migration, a majority of Blacks lived in the South, although I don't know what the figures were by the decade.
I believe that the percentage of Black people that live in the South never went below 50%. I think the lowest it ever was 53% and that was around 1970.

What also should be noted is how increasingly suburbanized Black folks are becoming, regardless of region.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I believe that the percentage of Black people that live in the South never went below 50%. I think the lowest it ever was 53% and that was around 1970.

What also should be noted is how increasingly suburbanized Black folks are becoming, regardless of region.
Very true. I was recently reading an article about Black outmigration in NYC during the past few years and almost equal numbers--by far the majority--went either down South or the NYC suburbs.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Very true. I was recently reading an article about Black outmigration in NYC during the past few years and almost equal numbers--by far the majority--went either down South or the NYC suburbs.
Many moved to more affordable areas in the Northeast too. Mainly in those cases it would be either Upstate NY or PA.

I've even seen this phenomenon of moving to the suburbs by Black folks in my area too. It was telling when I saw the makeup of sports teams at certain suburban high schools here and the slow, but steady increase in Black student enrollment at these schools.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Many moved to more affordable areas in the Northeast too. Mainly in those cases it would be either Upstate NY or PA.
Yeah, but the number was much, much less. There were 4,000+ going either to the NYC 'burbs or the South. For elsewhere in the NE or other regions, the highest number registered might have been around 700.

Quote:
I've even seen this phenomenon of moving to the suburbs by Black folks in my area too. It was telling when I saw the makeup of sports teams at certain suburban high schools here and the slow, but steady increase in Black student enrollment at these schools.
Yep, it's definitely a nationwide phenomenon. But I would like to see more of us "reclaim" some of the urban neighborhoods we abandoned within the past couple of decades.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:24 PM

True and here in Syracuse, there is talk of tearing down I-81 in the area of where a part of the old 15th Ward was located. It was an old neighborhood that was largely Jewish, then Black before urban renewal came and dismantled the bulk of it.

Interestingly, Upstate NY cities, big and smaller are getting Blacker. This includes African immigrants/refugees, as well as other immigrants and migrants. Actually, all of the major city centers in Upstate NY are in the 30-low 40% range, with Rochester coming in at 41% or so. So, the dynamics of those cities may change in regards to the Black community.

I will also say that gentrification has occurred to some degree up here. Saratoga Springs is a city that has been an example of this in regards to their Black community: Vanishing Saratoga: photographer documents local black community

Times Union - Albany NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.