Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 08:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

my perception of best would be practical knowledge and no debt education.
that would be a list of jr colleges i have attended which of course is not what u had in mind. .
cuyamaca got me the best paying job and retirement over any university i ever attended.
and without any debt.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 12-15-2011 at 10:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 02:56 PM

161 posts, read 246,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Michigan, lets do 5. Like Ohio, not an educational powerhouse of top-tier schools, but Michigan is one of the best universities in the world, so it does some lifting.

1.) Michigan
2.) Kalamazoo
3.) Michigan Tech
4.) Michigan State
5.) Albion
Solid, but I'd put MSU and Albion ahead of MTU. I think those five are the strongest. Does Hope have an argument to be included? I can't really think of another school off the top of my head that should be included.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:26 PM

12 posts, read 28,998 times
Missouri:

1) Washington University in St. Louis
2) University of Missouri
3) St. Louis University
4) Missouri University of Science and Technology
5) Truman State University
6) University of Missouri-Kansas City
7) University of Missouri-St. Louis
8) Missouri State University
9) University of Central Missouri
10) A toss-up between SEMO and Northwest Missouri State

Old 12-18-2011, 08:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
That's why it's important to separate the list by category. While there's no doubt Swarthmore is a better school than Temple, directly comparing the two doesn't make much sense.

I'll expand my original list.

Universities (Overall):
1) Penn
2) CMU
3) Lehigh
4) Penn State
4) Pitt
6) Villanova
7) Drexel
8) Temple
9) Duquesne
10) Arcadia

Universities (Balance of Program Quality):
1) Penn
2) Penn State
3) Pitt
4) CMU
5) Villanova
6) Temple
7) Lehigh
8) Duquesne
9) Arcadia10) Drexel

Liberal Arts Colleges:
1) Swarthmore
2) Haverford
3) Bryn Mawr
4) Lafayette
5) Bucknell
6) F&M
7) Dickinson
8) Gettysburg
9) Ursinus
10) Muhlenberg
Never heard of this Arcadia, so I googled it. This is not what I'd call a top-quality school.

Arcadia University - Arcadia University Among Best Universities, Top Up-and-Coming in North in U.S. News Rankings

***■Regional Universities in the North—Arcadia University ranks 29th among the top Regional Universities in the North,
***■Up-and-Coming Schools
***■A+ Schools for B Students

From US News:
***Regional Universities offer a full range of undergrad programs and some master's programs but few doctoral programs.

By all these definitions, I would not put Arcadia in the top for Pennsylvania, which has many, many good colleges.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:06 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Never heard of this Arcadia, so I googled it. This is not what I'd call a top-quality school.

Arcadia University - Arcadia University Among Best Universities, Top Up-and-Coming in North in U.S. News Rankings

***■Regional Universities in the North—Arcadia University ranks 29th among the top Regional Universities in the North,
***■Up-and-Coming Schools
***■A+ Schools for B Students

From US News:
***Regional Universities offer a full range of undergrad programs and some master's programs but few doctoral programs.

By all these definitions, I would not put Arcadia in the top for Pennsylvania, which has many, many good colleges.
Arcadia has a wide variety of decent grad programs. Drexel is a good school, but it doesn't offer much in the way of the liberal arts. That's why I think Arcadia is better when considering overall balance. But I did unfairly overlook St. Joes when compiling my lists, so I present to you an amended top 10 where St. Joes is switched with Arcadia.

Also, while Pennsylvania has many good liberal arts colleges, it does not have that many good full-service universities (and I would include certain master's universities like Villanova in that category).

Old 12-18-2011, 01:45 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,851 times
For Wisconsin, the state I currently live in:

1. U of Wisconsin-Madison
2. Lawrence University
3. Marquette University
4. U of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
5. Beloit College

....and the next five is a mixed bag, perhaps including UW-La Crosse, another couple of UW schools, and maybe a couple of small private schools.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:10 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,163,289 times
For MN. Here are the colleges I'd pick (and why).

1. University of MN. TC Campus (Engineering, Medicine: Pharmacy, Dental, and MD , Management: Carson School of Management, Economics, Biology, Research, Law).
2. Carleton College. (Liberal Arts; hands down.)
3. Macalester College. (Liberal Arts).
4. University of MN Duluth (Medicine: Pharmacy, MD).
5. St. Olaf (Music, Teaching).
6. Winona (Nursing).

IMHO, the U of MN TC campus is the "best" in Minnesota assuming you don't mind attending the 5th largest campus in the USA (55,000 students strong). If you leave MN, who has ever heard of St. Thomas, St. John's, St. Ben's, St. Scholastica, Gustavus Adolphus, Bemidji State etc?? Many are fantastic schools but personally, I'm all about name brand schools that allow you to be recognized all around the country.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 12-19-2011 at 06:24 AM..

Old 12-19-2011, 06:15 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs1193 View Post
Missouri:

1) Washington University in St. Louis
2) University of Missouri
3) St. Louis University
4) Missouri University of Science and Technology
5) Truman State University
6) University of Missouri-Kansas City
7) University of Missouri-St. Louis
8) Missouri State University
9) University of Central Missouri
10) A toss-up between SEMO and Northwest Missouri State
#1 is a top tier school but not a household name (yet). My son stared at this school for a long time.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:30 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkytofu10 View Post
Solid, but I'd put MSU and Albion ahead of MTU. I think those five are the strongest. Does Hope have an argument to be included? I can't really think of another school off the top of my head that should be included.

I would not. MTU's engineering has a better reputation than MSU and Albion does not offer engineering.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:56 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times
This is a guess, and not in order:

1. Washington University in St. Louis
2. Saint Louis University
3. Webster University
4. University of Missouri
5. Mizzou-Rolla
6. Missouri Southern
7. SEMO
8. Missouri State
9. University of Missouri-St. Louis
10. University of Missouri-Kansas City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.