Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:29 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,765,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
i lived in juarez (2007/2008 and then spent a short time there 2012 before driving to detroit) and again it's your lifestyle that determines if you're at risk. but i just want to add one thing:

dealing with crime sucks but what do people call crime? Isn't police shaking you down for money for petty things (like minor speeding/traffic violations) a qol issue too? The only entity i'm scared of is the police. if you kill one of them they come back 100X stronger. You can't even move away all that good. anywhere in the country they'll pool resources and do their damn best to find you. if you go to another country they might even find a way to extradite you.

the police have the capability to destroy you when they want you. and the police are just people. most are good but some of them are rotten to the core and because they're a brotherhood (gang) the good will look the way, even cover the asses of the bad because that's what expected.

I'll get harassed more in santa monica, simi valley, bh, thousand oak then any ghetto and so probably for everyone else on the thread. so that's what I wanna say on the topic.
That is a big part of what sinks the qol in the ghetto... the people who are supposed to be looking out for you are more interested in quarantining you and the issues you/your neighborhood faces from the rest of the city and often they create more issues. Everyone else generally turns a blind eye to the measures the police take to do so because as far as they're concerned it's working out for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 08:31 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,785,015 times
Wallstreet.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:37 AM

93,414 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Go to East St.Louis, IL or search it on youtube. Its lost more than 60% of its population in 60 years and it has a murder average of 100 per year and it only has 35,000 people! Places like camden, chester, springfield are super safe compared to this city. No one wants to live here and no one should unless you like dying. I just wish 1 day the mayor decides to change their city from east st.louis to dying ****hole because their just dragging down st.louis with their name
Here is the crime information for East St. Louis according to this website: https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Illinois.html

While there isn't a 100 murder average a year, they average more murders than many cities with over 100,000 people.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:33 AM

711 posts, read 1,498,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
In NYC, there's a requirement for a certain percentage of housing project residents to be middle income... there's no such requirement in CA. Housing projects in CA are basically guaranteed to be impoverished and almost always are high crime. There's only one low-crime project in the Bay Area I can think of.

as far as CA projects looking nicer, it varies from city to city... some cities (like Oakland) maintain their projects, others (like San Francisco) do not. Here's some examples throughout CA:

jordan down watts ca - Google Maps

Mariposa Street Rodeo, CA - Google Maps

Acorn, Oakland - Google Maps

Potrero Hill, San Francisco - Google Maps
Those projects in California look like a beautiful walk in the park compared to the ones here in Delaware.

1335 Eastlawn Avenue, Wilmington, DE - Google Maps

Bowers Street, Wilmington, DE - Google Maps

Old 06-08-2012, 12:02 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,765,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post
Those projects in California look like a beautiful walk in the park compared to the ones here in Delaware.

1335 Eastlawn Avenue, Wilmington, DE - Google Maps

Bowers Street, Wilmington, DE - Google Maps

"Look" being the key word.

And the only difference I see is the brick. What difference do you see?

Old 06-09-2012, 04:55 PM

181 posts, read 298,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Cant believe it took this long for this town to come up. Detroit IS the most crime ridden decayed place in North America. No where comes close to the insanity that is Detroit.
I used to live just outside the city limits of Detroit proper. I find this comment to be a bit over the top. It's bad, sure, but it's not like the ENTIRE city is exactly alike. There are nice neighborhoods and plenty of areas that they have fixed up.

It's bad...but much improved since the 70's and 80's!

Old 06-09-2012, 05:09 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,177,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
East St Louis,

I'll second that. I have been to NYC and had no issue walking around Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:47 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,828,583 times
Kingston,Jamaica

Philadelphia

South Jamaica,NY 80s and 90s

Old 06-13-2012, 07:56 PM

170 posts, read 347,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jamaica,Queens boy View Post
Kingston,Jamaica

Philadelphia

South Jamaica,NY 80s and 90s
Kingston qualifies for sure!

Old 06-19-2012, 06:39 PM

601 posts, read 1,076,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Not really. St. Louis (the REAL St. Louis) shares the top of the list with E. STL as the most crime-ridden cities in the country. It's almost always top 3 annually.

As it turns out, there's something in the water in the Mississippi River down there, because many of the country's most crime-ridden big cities AND small towns are in that region!
Wow man I was thinking the same thing one day! I from the Mississippi Delta, a town called Greenville pop. about 40,000, it's on the River too! Greenville has the highest homicide rate in the state of Mississippi, but Jackson has the most homicides in the state! But Mississippi as a whole has a VERY HIGH homicide rate! HIGH IN POVERTY, it's the poorest state man! But it's still a lot of good people there! It's still things for people to there! Man the Delta have really humbled me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.