Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 05:44 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
In some ways, Detroit is not as bad as it seems for Black people. Yes, we all know Detroit's economy is terrible to say the least. But Detroit has the highest number of Black owned businesses for any big city. Not even the stereotypical Asian immigrant owned businesses dominate Detroit. Two-thirds of businesses in Detroit are owned by Blacks. Asians only own 2% of the businesses in Detroit. That is a great variance from the standard American ghetto.

Detroit: A hub for Black-owned businesses

Ghetto cities like Baltimore and Detroit do have more crime in general. However, the entire Black population in those cities is not as impoverished as an outsider would imagine. You have tons of Black owned businesses in Detroit. You have upper middle class Black people who run Detroit and Baltimore who live in nice areas of those cities. I know one rich young Black dude who's parents are influential political figures in Baltimore. He doesn't even have to work he is so rich and he has two apartments and everything paid for by his rich Black parents who run things in Baltimore legally. That guy is financially set for life.

On the other hand, Blacks in world class cities dominated by rich White folks are in general much poorer. This is why San Francisco has a higher murder rate for Blacks than Detroit, Oakland, Baltimore, New Orleans and pretty much every big city in America. Although Blacks represent less than 10% of SF, Blacks represent 60%+ of the homicides in SF every year. If Detroit had a murder rate for Blacks as high as SF, Detroit would have well over a thousand homicides a year. Why is the murder rate for Blacks so high in SF? Because the only Blacks living in SF are poor and over half of them live in the projects:

Black population drops to 3.9% in San Francisco | San Francisco Bay View

Middle class Blacks were priced out of SF in the 80's and 90's. Sort of like how most of the Blacks living in Manhattan in NYC are poor living in the high rise projects in Harlem. But does that mean that the ghettos in SF are rougher than Detroit because SF has a higher Black homicide rate? No. If you compared the crime rates of ghetto neighborhoods in both cities, they would be pretty similar. If you compared the crime rates between any ghetto in any city in America with another city hundreds or thousands of miles away, the crime rates would still be strikingly similar.

Here is an old school example. In 1992, the small Bay Area town of East Palo Alto was the murder capital of the entire country with 42 homicides in a city with a population of 24K. That equals a murder rate of about 174 per 100K for East Palo Alto.

East Palo Alto 1992 | E. Palo Alto Murder Rate Worst in U.S.; Drug Wars Blamed - Los Angeles Times

My old neighborhood had 12 homicides around one intersection in about that same year in 91' or 92'. My old neighborhood had a population of about 6,000 people. This adds up to about a homicide rate of 200 per 100K. As you can see the murder rates for both places aren't all that different despite the entire city of San Francisco not having the reputation of being a dangerous place.

Minnie Ward -- helped clean up Ocean View area

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...ncisco-CA.html
You are talking Apples and Pineapples comparing towns and cities against neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 07:29 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,660,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
You are talking Apples and Pineapples comparing towns and cities against neighborhoods.
to show how stupid that is, my block may have 100-200 people. the 1 year that someone will be murdered on it, it's the most dangerous spot in the world. The other years it doesn't have anything it's the safest at 0. When comparing small cities/neighborhoods you have to at least average the numbers of several years. My guess is a place like east palo alto shoots up and down from year to year.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:04 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
to show how stupid that is, my block may have 100-200 people. the 1 year that someone will be murdered on it, it's the most dangerous spot in the world. The other years it doesn't have anything it's the safest at 0. When comparing small cities/neighborhoods you have to at least average the numbers of several years. My guess is a place like east palo alto shoots up and down from year to year.
Goldenchild's point is that just because some cities get the "safe" label because their O/A crime rates are lower than the cities that are labeled "dangerous" doesn't mean that they're safe for everybody. That may sound obvious to you but strangely to a lot of people it isn't.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:28 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
My city had a murder rate higher than NYC in 2009, if you look at several years… um not so much.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:27 PM

93,175 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Goldenchild's point is that just because some cities get the "safe" label because their O/A crime rates are lower than the cities that are labeled "dangerous" doesn't mean that they're safe for everybody. That may sound obvious to you but strangely to a lot of people it isn't.
Good point and one's lifestyle can make a big difference in regards to crime anywhere.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:43 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,288 times
Go to East St.Louis, IL or search it on youtube. Its lost more than 60% of its population in 60 years and it has a murder average of 100 per year and it only has 35,000 people! Places like camden, chester, springfield are super safe compared to this city. No one wants to live here and no one should unless you like dying. I just wish 1 day the mayor decides to change their city from east st.louis to dying ****hole because their just dragging down st.louis with their name

Old 06-07-2012, 07:05 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,426,662 times
Philadelphia...and people can try and throw up stats etc but I know what I see around me and on the news every day.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:23 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
That's a better explanation, and I thought goldenchild had a pretty good point: some places feel like Ciduad Juarez even if you live in Lillydale, Wonderland! If the block you live in is flooded with crack houses and gangs, but the rest of the city is in tip-top shape, to that person, he/she lived in THE hood.

The only difference between that experience and the experience of those who live in notoriously crime-ridden cities is that there are MANY more people who've experienced that lifestyle than the former.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:26 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Go to East St.Louis, IL or search it on youtube. Its lost more than 60% of its population in 60 years and it has a murder average of 100 per year and it only has 35,000 people! Places like camden, chester, springfield are super safe compared to this city. No one wants to live here and no one should unless you like dying. I just wish 1 day the mayor decides to change their city from east st.louis to dying ****hole because their just dragging down st.louis with their name
Not really. St. Louis (the REAL St. Louis) shares the top of the list with E. STL as the most crime-ridden cities in the country. It's almost always top 3 annually.

As it turns out, there's something in the water in the Mississippi River down there, because many of the country's most crime-ridden big cities AND small towns are in that region!

Old 06-07-2012, 08:03 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,660,272 times
i lived in juarez (2007/2008 and then spent a short time there 2012 before driving to detroit) and again it's your lifestyle that determines if you're at risk. but i just want to add one thing:

dealing with crime sucks but what do people call crime? Isn't police shaking you down for money for petty things (like minor speeding/traffic violations) a qol issue too? The only entity i'm scared of is the police. if you kill one of them they come back 100X stronger. You can't even move away all that good. anywhere in the country they'll pool resources and do their damn best to find you. if you go to another country they might even find a way to extradite you.

the police have the capability to destroy you when they want you. and the police are just people. most are good but some of them are rotten to the core and because they're a brotherhood (gang) the good will look the way, even cover the asses of the bad because that's what expected.

I'll get harassed more in santa monica, simi valley, bh, thousand oak then any ghetto and so probably for everyone else on the thread. so that's what I wanna say on the topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.