Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 07:36 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,661,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta-SSiPP View Post
Wow man I was thinking the same thing one day! I from the Mississippi Delta, a town called Greenville pop. about 40,000, it's on the River too! Greenville has the highest homicide rate in the state of Mississippi, but Jackson has the most homicides in the state! But Mississippi as a whole has a VERY HIGH homicide rate! HIGH IN POVERTY, it's the poorest state man! But it's still a lot of good people there! It's still things for people to there! Man the Delta have really humbled me!
I remember taking a train from chicago to new orleans. I struck up a conversation with a guy heading down from milwaukee to greenville to live with his ma. He had 3 kids back up in wisconsin who he could not pay for so he was selling crack and finally decided to get out and start over. For some reason I remembered him and from your post. wonder how he made out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 07:36 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,873,540 times
Financial District of NYC.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:52 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,674,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Financial District of NYC.
There's def a DC/congress joke down this route as well...

Old 06-19-2012, 08:39 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,873,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
There's def a DC/congress joke down this route as well...
They are a runner up.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:57 PM

601 posts, read 1,075,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
I remember taking a train from chicago to new orleans. I struck up a conversation with a guy heading down from milwaukee to greenville to live with his ma. He had 3 kids back up in wisconsin who he could not pay for so he was selling crack and finally decided to get out and start over. For some reason I remembered him and from your post. wonder how he made out.
Awwe man, that's tough!

Old 06-20-2012, 10:54 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,112 times
2 of those places for me have been the cities i have worked in. Newark, NJ and Trenton NJ. gotta luv field work!

Old 06-25-2012, 10:31 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,467,953 times
Juarez, Mexico
Camden, N.J.
Chicago, Ill.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:06 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,827,845 times
Hamilton Hill, Schenectady, NY

I feel a lot safer in some parts of NYC than in Hamilton Hill. I saw one guy get shot at a park there and was approached by a group of drug dealers who thought I was looking at them the wrong way. I rarely see cops go there even though the drugs and crime are so visible.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post
Actually, there are a few stable parts of Camden like Fairview, Stockton, and Cooper Lanning (that's in the downtown area).

They don't look perfect (but hey, at least there are no abandoned homes), but the point is that not all areas of the city look like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
In NYC, there's a requirement for a certain percentage of housing project residents to be middle income...
They have a "working families preference", but most of the residents are low-income. I mean, for a middle-income person, there wouldn't be much money saved living in the projects. For instance, a family of 5 can get in there if they make up to $68,000, but they take out 30% of your salary for rent, which means you'd be paying about $1,700 a month. For that amount, you could easily get something decent in a market-rate apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Oakland, and whatever city surrounds Yale - that was pretty ghetto.
That's New Haven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Why is that funny?
It's precisely 1 murder a day.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,313 times
The most crime-ridden place I've had the opportunity to visit would have to be Tegucigalpa. From my stay there, it was easy to conclude that the city wasn't just the capital Honduras but of cocaine trafficking. People's involvement with the illicit drug trade was so nonchalant and salient that it was easy to suppose that it was all legal. Though the incessant tune of gunshots and police sirens in the near background of practically everywhere one went served as a very poignant reminder of how serious it all was and how murder was carried out as common and as insouciant as those multi-kilogram drug exchanges were.

Tegucigalpa has a very disconcerting aura of "everything is OK and everyone is happy" mixed with a very strong sense that "I just might be murdered today". Only vacate there if you're interested in purchasing large quantities of nearly pure cocaine at cheap prices. And that isn't advice, but jest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.