Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 03:48 PM

711 posts, read 1,497,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
The murder rate is higher than I thought. It is more than 3 times the city's rate. For comparison, had they the same rate, New Orleans projects murder rate would be 180 per 100,000.
My friend is in New Orleans right now for work, he just told me that place is on another level then the rest of the U.S.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 04:03 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
Parts of the East Side of Cleveland and the city of East Cleveland were a bit uncomfortable for me to walk around in at night considering I am white and was about 19 at the time. Got a lot of funny looks, but nobody messed with me or anything. It was more of just a feeling like I was out of my comfort zone. I firmly believe that just because an area is poor doesn't mean it has bad people.
This is important to remember. What I've found in life thus far is that there are always going to be about 5%-10% of people who do mean or bad things and stray from a civil society, regardless of skin color, ethnicity, gender, sexual status, etc. However in the poorest areas and/or the areas with the highest concentrations of drugs, alcohol and/or guns, those 5%-10% do a lot more damage physically, whereas those 5%-10% in the upper east side of Manhattan or other culturally-elite places do a lot more economic damage (e.g. Ponzi Schemes).

When I spent a few summers rehabbing bldgs at Cabrini Green in Chicago I was (ignorantly) surprised to find so many nice and wonderful people, despite their HORRID living conditions.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:36 PM

62 posts, read 98,876 times
I've been to southside LA, south memphis, north miami & overtown, north jacksonville, and mlk/nebraska in tampa.

All widely considered to be some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in america. I didn't feel too uneasy in memphis or la. I realized it was a bad place, but the people seemed friendly and I didn't feel in danger.

The florida neighborhoods on the other hand frightened and intimidated me, and I have zero desire to ever visit those places again. So many stray dogs and crackheads and prostitutes guns out in the open in early afternoon. So isolated from the rest of there respective cities its like entering a different dimension. I feel so bad for children that grow up only knowing that.

I have met some incredible people in those places which again blows my mind because there is so much hopelessness there I don't know how people maintain.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:38 PM

10 posts, read 20,078 times
I used to have to go through some pretty rough areas of NYC in a suit with a laptop (I'm a small white girl, just to complete the pic) for my job. I wasn't always comfortable, but no-one bothered me at any point, including walking through the projects in Brownsville and East NY.

I was interested in this CA/NYC projects argument, so I looked up the actually most dangerous neighborhoods in the US, and neither of us cracked the top 25, lol.

25 most dangerous neighborhoods 2010 - DailyFinance

Most dangerous I've been to:
1) Parts of Panama City (in a taxi, thankfully), where certain neighborhoods actually look like a war zone, and people live in hovels with no doors, windows, or electricity.
2) Colon, Panama, where we were warned not to even walk one block by ourselves or we'd probably be stabbed. Our tour guide was a NYer, too, and he said it's seriously no joke, the poverty is so extreme that people will do anything for a dollar.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:55 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
A back alley in China.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:45 PM

62 posts, read 98,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLiner View Post
I used to have to go through some pretty rough areas of NYC in a suit with a laptop (I'm a small white girl, just to complete the pic) for my job. I wasn't always comfortable, but no-one bothered me at any point, including walking through the projects in Brownsville and East NY.

I was interested in this CA/NYC projects argument, so I looked up the actually most dangerous neighborhoods in the US, and neither of us cracked the top 25, lol.

25 most dangerous neighborhoods 2010 - DailyFinance

Most dangerous I've been to:
1) Parts of Panama City (in a taxi, thankfully), where certain neighborhoods actually look like a war zone, and people live in hovels with no doors, windows, or electricity.
2) Colon, Panama, where we were warned not to even walk one block by ourselves or we'd probably be stabbed. Our tour guide was a NYer, too, and he said it's seriously no joke, the poverty is so extreme that people will do anything for a dollar.
Actually the 3 florida neighborhoods I was talking about have cracked the top 10 on multiple years, and believe me, brownsville is a joke compared to them. You would NOT be able to walk around with that laptop without getting robbed in broad daylight in the projects on mlk nebraska in tampa. Honestly, you being a white girl, you would probably get robbed period, unless your a crackhead or streetwise prostitute.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:39 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times
Compton

Old 12-21-2011, 06:18 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,019 times
Rio

Old 12-21-2011, 06:00 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,496,354 times
I had a pretty interesting experience in Little Rock, Arkansas a few years back. Here I was traveling from California to Tennesee to visit my family there. I stop in downtown Little Rock for a few hours. I'm walking down the street and pass by these two gangster type guys and they say something to me about my skin or something like that. Then I go towards the bus station and another guy asks for money but in a threatening way.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:04 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,944,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
I had a pretty interesting experience in Little Rock, Arkansas a few years back. Here I was traveling from California to Tennesee to visit my family there. I stop in downtown Little Rock for a few hours. I'm walking down the street and pass by these two gangster type guys and they say something to me about my skin or something like that. Then I go towards the bus station and another guy asks for money but in a threatening way.
If that's the worst thing that has ever happened to you, you're either very young, very lucky, or both.

Last edited by Neworleansisprettygood; 12-21-2011 at 06:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.