Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 07:13 AM

511 posts, read 2,450,598 times

Advertisements

Do you agree with this statement? Every part of the country has a certain type of culture and an indigenous population with attitudes and personalities that can dominate a region.

In my job, as a Trainer, I travel all the time to various site locations of the large Fortune 500 international company. This gives me a chance to observe the local culture of all kinds of people in cities all over America. In my observations American cities are so different in their prevailing social and economic and work cultures.

I say this to many people I know and they completely disagree. They say modern 21st Century American cities are basically the same and they see little if any difference between folks in Little Rock to Boston or Tulsa to Philly.

What do you think? If I actually moved to Little Rock or Tulsa would the basic social and work culture seem all that different than Boston or Philly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 07:22 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Cultural differences are becoming less significant year by year. I personally still notice a difference in the work environement, especially going from the NE corrider to outside of it, still believe the pace is a tad faster in the NE

Old 12-12-2011, 07:52 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,616,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
I say this to many people I know and they completely disagree. They say modern 21st Century American cities are basically the same and they see little if any difference between folks in Little Rock to Boston or Tulsa to Philly.
Who have you been talking to? Most Americans would agree that we have distinct cultures and attitudes and mentalities in different pockets and regions of the U.S. I have lived back and forth between Texas and Florida and I always seem to have to adjust myself to the differing mentalities that exist in the two states. It always take a while for me to get back into the saddle because their so different in culture, attitudes, people, and taste.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:42 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,886 times
There are definitely cultural differences in different parts of the US. Of course places are not monolithic, and you can find a wide variety of beliefs/attitudes/cultures in almost any location, but different locations will definitely have different vibes that are shared by many people.

I agree with kidphilly that the differences are lessening as time goes by, but they are still there. Personally, I often find the differences interesting and think that for the most part they are a cool part of our collective American culture.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:02 AM

511 posts, read 2,450,598 times
Here is an example:

When I train staff at our Little Rock Arkansas office they pretty much insist on a looser schedule and more chit chat and smile more and are much more casual in their approach to things. In Boston, many of the people are all business and formal. People don't smile as often and there is not the chit chat before and after the meetings like in Little Rock. Time means more to the people in Boston. I also get the impression that the people in Boston and Philly are more likely to limit off hours socializing with their coworkers while the Tulsa and Little Rock employees view their coworkers as family.

The nature of the employees education, experience and job descriptions are the same in all offices.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:33 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,409 times
Definitely..some large cities share a similar transient and cosmpolitan culture even if they are in different parts of the country..but overall the US has very distinct cultural differences- factors such as weather, work culture, racial/ religious demographics, history, population density etc etc all greatly affect the overall mindset and cultural way of a region.

Things like this really interest me- like Southerners & Midwesterners are more likely to marry and have kids earlier than in other regions (could be a city vs rural pattern too though)...or why cheerleading or certain types of sports are more important/ popular in one part of the nation over the other or why people in one region are more likely to stay later in work than a less work-oriented region...many interesting factors related to location & in the history of these locations, affect these things.

In regards to how different personalities/ attitudes can dominate a region- imo I agree that certain types of personalities are more evident in different parts of the country..
In the NE, definitely more likely to encounter more in-your-face, intense, work-oriented people (they are often more focused on work than on their looks too)
In the South, the reverse- they focus on their looks and are often more laid-back at work, very cheery and friendly
In the Pacific NW, it is very reserved and people are less likely to chit-chat etc than in other regions- but I attribute weather to this
In Southern California, people are quite mellow but they are generally aggressive drivers- traffic and car-culture pushes this element- thus, various factors affect regional differences

Old 12-12-2011, 03:28 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Southerners are more hygienic than people from other regions.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:45 AM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times
Southerners are friendlier and more religious, as are rural folks in general. In some very liberal parts of the country its considered rude to ask people what church they attend but this is acceptable in the South. In many part of the South and Midwest it is offensive to say Happy Holidays and you will likely upset more people by saying that than Merry Christmas.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:07 AM

711 posts, read 1,497,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
In the NE, definitely more likely to encounter more in-your-face, intense, work-oriented people (they are often more focused on work than on their looks too)
In the South, the reverse- they focus on their looks and are often more laid-back at work, very cheery and friendly
In the Pacific NW, it is very reserved and people are less likely to chit-chat etc than in other regions- but I attribute weather to this
In Southern California, people are quite mellow but they are generally aggressive drivers- traffic and car-culture pushes this element- thus, various factors affect regional differences
I agree, just the difference from Delaware to South Florida is astonishing...

Old 12-19-2011, 09:03 AM

894 posts, read 2,314,682 times
The biggest cultural differences I see are between big city areas and small town areas, wealthy and poor areas, rural and urban areas. These differences apply to ALL regions of the US.

The country as a whole is becoming so homoenized due to media and social connections. There are indeed regional cultural flavors, but not on the scale that most on this site claim to be. I mean, you'd swear that crossing some state lines was like going to a third world country based on some remarks. For instance the whole north-south divide. I've been up and down the east coast and live in the middle in VA. The differences are there, but when you take my opening statement into account, the differences aren't really that much. A state boundary is not magically going to make someone think or do things differently than others in the next state over. On the contrary, you can have wildly varying differences in the same state.

Right now, it seems that politics is the biggest cultural divider in the US. And again, that is not relegated to specific regions and seems to be an extension of my rural-urban divide feelings brought out earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.