Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 05:51 PM

148 posts, read 234,179 times

Advertisements

I've only really lived in two cities, so this thread wouldn't be too exciting for me to do. For those of you who are older and have moved around a bit, though, how would you rank the places you've lived, based on how much you liked them and how happy you were there. General timeframe would be helpful, too (if your current location isn't your favorite, what made you leave?) Feel free to discuss what you did and didn't like about any location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 05:20 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
I would put the best place at the top, the next best place 2nd, then the next one 3rd and progressively work towards the worst place which I would put at the bottom, that is, if I even wanted to list it at all considering what a crap hole it was.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:57 AM

606 posts, read 1,078,576 times
1. Philadelphia
2. Brooklyn
3. New York State
4. Upper Darby, PA
5. Stroudsburg, PA
6. High Point, NC
7. Asheboro, NC

Is that what you meant?

Old 12-15-2011, 09:36 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Los Angeles: A- :Ideal place to live but its too hard to afford. Economic opprotunities are very limited there as well. Tons of things to door outdoors, world class nightlife, and excellent cullinary options. Very multicultural as well.
Chicago: B+ :Wonderful city, cant stand the weather. Excellent cullinary options, but limited outdoor activities outside the lake. Very multicultural but noticably segregated. Couldnt live there again.
Dallas: B :Wonderful place to live with lots of opprotunity. Its cheap. Great food as well. Increasingly multicultural and seems to be getting more so by the day. However, its not much to look at, outdoor activities are limited, and Im not a fan of the winters.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 12-15-2011 at 09:44 AM..

Old 12-15-2011, 10:42 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
1. Fairfield, CT
2. Pine Orchard (Branford), CT
3. Calabasas, CA
4. New Canaan, CT
5. Charlotte, NC
6. Carle Place, Long Island, NY

Old 12-15-2011, 11:15 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
1. Minneapolis - born and raised, has just about everything I want in a city, great economy; wish it were even more multicultural, family doesn't live there anymore (just friends)
2. Chicago - home away from home, most of my family is there, has everything you could want in a city, great economy overall; too violent and segregated, public schools in the city and many areas are not up to snuff
3. Cleveland - have only been here 6 months so my perception is ever-evolving, but it's a vastly underrated city with many cultural and societal amenities at a VERY cheap price; crime and schools are a big concern for me and the pre-existing blighted economy and infrastructure leaves a lot to be desired (but that is changing quickly for the positive!)
4. St. Louis - when I lived there as a child for a year I loved it more than anywhere, lots of stuff to do for kids and famillies, loved the Cardinals; but the public schools, crime and aspects of Southern culture don't appeal as much to me as an adult, not a stellar economy
5. Columbus (OH) - went to college at OSU and had lots of fun in Columbus during that time, plenty of amenities and solid/diversified economy; but as a city/metro I feel that it's a tad small for my tastes and definitely provincial at times (like on gameday Saturdays the city shuts down), crime and public schools aren't the best and the weather isn't ideal for me because summer can be oppressively warm at times and winter is too rainy, yet cold (instead of snow and cold), also very overcast, also has some aspects of "Southern" culture (moreso than most Northern cities)

Personal Total City Score out of 100 (based largely, but not exclusively, on friends/family, schools, crime, amenities, culture, economy and weather):
Minneapolis - 92
Chicago - 88
Cleveland - 82
St. Louis - 79
Columbus - 76

Old 12-15-2011, 03:31 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,050,755 times
1--Minneapolis
2--Boston
3--Seattle
4--San Diego

Old 12-16-2011, 10:16 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinginjune2010 View Post
I've only really lived in two cities, so this thread wouldn't be too exciting for me to do. For those of you who are older and have moved around a bit, though, how would you rank the places you've lived, based on how much you liked them and how happy you were there. General timeframe would be helpful, too (if your current location isn't your favorite, what made you leave?) Feel free to discuss what you did and didn't like about any location.
1. Norfolk/Hampton, VA LIKED (1992-2004) (very laid back, decent climate, small-town feel even being a mid sized city.)
2. Louisville, KY LIKED (current) (laid back, low COL, great restaurant scene, don't like lack of sunny days between Nov-May, lack of quality jobs, plan to leave after graduating in May)
3. Vine Grove, KY PUSH (2010-2011) (small laid back town, not much to do)
4. Alexandria, VA HATED (2004-2010) (too much traffic, snooty stuck up population, very expensive)

Old 12-16-2011, 04:18 PM

148 posts, read 234,179 times
I'll go ahead since there have been some great answers so far and this could use a bump:

1. New Orleans -- unique city, a slower pace (although fast compared to most cities in the region), generally friendly people, civic pride, interesting and often great local food, mild winters.

2. Philadelphia -- Quite possibly the best cost-of-living-vs.-amenities-offered ratio in the country. Amazing food. So much going on and for such little cost. However, I don't like the aggressive and often close-minded attitude of the locals, and the winter I was there was brutal for me.

3. Richmond, VA -- My hometown, so it's hard to judge. A lot to offer for a city its size, but too much of a university town these days, and way too many 20-somethings who are living in "the big city" for the first time. Super yuppie and super hipster with not much in between. I like it when I go home to visit, but I doubt I could live there again -- at least not for a long while.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:46 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Newport Beach: A
Huntington Beach: A
Port Jefferson, NY: A

Sound Beach, NY: B+
Pittsburgh, PA: B +
Charleston, WV: B +

Boston: B
Washington: B
NYC: B

Los Angeles: C

Lake Saint Louis C- (if it wasn't in Missouri: B)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.