Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 03:09 PM

175 posts, read 296,469 times

Advertisements

I know exactly what you are talking about, and there's quite a bit of that here in rural Ohio, it's a lifestyle here for many! Those boys from the South that like their farms and snow come up here...I know when I was in Atlanta there was some of it left in the Macon area...and I can't believe I'm saying this, but from what I've been reading, there's a lot of Good Ole Boy in Alaska!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 03:13 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Yikes! I guess they don't care about fashion sense then! Never heard of the term and don't know anyone who chews tabacco except maybe baseball players.
I knew quite a few people who did it when I worked in warehouses over the years. It was pretty disgusting, especially when they would just spit the juice on the floor.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:50 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Sounds a bit like hillbilly/Appalachian culture. I'd probably check the outskirts of towns like Roanoke, VA, Charleston, WV, Chattanooga, TN, Knoxville, TN, Greenville, SC, and Huntsville, AL. And pretty much any small town in the region.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:04 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,218,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Sounds a bit like hillbilly/Appalachian culture. I'd probably check the outskirts of towns like Roanoke, VA, Charleston, WV, Chattanooga, TN, Knoxville, TN, Greenville, SC, and Huntsville, AL. And pretty much any small town in the region.
Not really. It sounds more coastal plain/low-country than anything.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:43 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,792 times
you can find them in smaller metros and surround small towns.lots of adorable hot southern gents here in bama

montgomery
enterprise
talledega
dothan
gulf shores
mobile

Georgia
augusta
macon
savannah
columbus
valdosta
statesboro

Old 12-18-2011, 10:30 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
My dad in WV chewed tobacco, kept a cup by him all the time. He used the term "ol boy" a lot. He told me once that he had met this ol boy who told him that it was his grandfather that had inducted him into the klan. The induction had to have taken place sometime in the mid-30's. I have a nice oval portrait of my great-grandfather in the living room. His wife Rachel once fired a shotgun at a trick-or-treater. The kid was running around the house banging on her windows. My dad met that kid years later and he told him the story.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:12 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
When I lived there, I found it to be a large amount of rural Mississpians that had decided to move to the "big city". I found them very true to their roots, and found the sophistication level lacking for a city of its size.
Haven't noticed them. We have a lot of blue-collar men, but they're more like the Southern version of men in the Northeast who like to hangout at pubs and watch sports, as opposed to doing activities such as hunting & fishing like "country boys." It's a very common type around here.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:16 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Hazard County (incidentally they weren't real Southerners).

Rural areas, small towns and cities, and maybe a few large cities like Jacksonville.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:52 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Not really. It sounds more coastal plain/low-country than anything.
Not from my perspective. I was born and raised in the Southern coastal plains area, and working in Appalachia I saw more pick-up trucks, camouflage, and Confederate flags than I ever did growing up.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:57 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Baltimore, MD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.