Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do some people view the south as rural and the northeast as urban
Ignorance-They haven't traveled or studied enough to know otherwise. Plus, the media feeds them this belief. 35 71.43%
They've traveled enough, but they allow their prejudices to cloud reality. The media reinforces their prejudice. 14 28.57%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 12:09 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,750 times

Advertisements

So the choices are:
  1. Ignorance. People are naive and gullible, brainwashed by media.
  2. Prejudice. People are bigoted jerks, brainwashed by media.
No offense, but such antagonist polls are crap. Try being a little less petulant with the poll choices next time. I know it's hard, but if you're truly seeking intelligent and reasoned discourse, then it tends to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 12:16 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,219,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Read the Austin Contrarian it gives a good rational on the differences of perception and reality. Yes the NE burbs have sprawl, but the average person in these metros (and a much higher proportions) lives at a higher density, no density isnt everything at
Perception verses reality, hmm. Let me see, you're trying to frame this debate as though I'm merely "perceiving" what I'm saying. I know what I'm talking about. I've traveled extensively throughout the United States. I've been to every major metropolitan area in the country. I am 35 years old and am thoroughly knowledgeable in areas of demography.

Most areas of the northeast aren't at the density levels that you're claiming that most live at. Most of metro Boston isn't as dense as you're claiming outside of the central core. NYC is dense, but that's NYC. Philadelphia is very dense along the Delaware River from central and north Philadelphia down to Wilmington, DE, but the suburbs west of Philadelphia away from the city are fairly similar to what you'd see in Atlanta, in terms of development patterns and even density. Parts of metro Philadelphia, in New Jersey are also fairly similar east of the NJ Turnpike heading toward the pine barrens. All the other metropolitan areas in the interior northeastern areas aren't to the density you're describing, so it's a pity that you'd try to frame the entire northeast around the density of NYC, parts of Philadelphia, a small sliver of metro Boston, and parts of inner-city DC (which is historically southern).

Quote:
One thing the South has is more vast expanse of rural areas though are really no different that rural areas anywhere
The South has a greater expanse of rural areas because it is a lot larger. It also has a greater expanse of metropolitan areas and population.

Quote:
The cities are also far more spread out.
Yes, like everywhere else in the U.S. outside of the northeast from Washington to Boston, and perhaps a slightly more increased concentration from Cleveland on over to Milwaukee. That doesn't mean that the south doesn't have a lot of cities. A major city are generally only two to three hours from each other. Out west, you're sometimes ten to twelve hours apart. The plains are also farther apart. The interior northeast is somewhat similar to parts of the south in this regard. The lower midwest and the upper midwest away from the Great Lakes is no different in this regard.

Quote:
But again what is the point of this thread; hopefully not say Charlotte is more dense or comparable to Boston. Or that Charleston should be compared to Boston, Maybe Reading PA on development style and scale (Though I personally think Charleston is an absolute GEM)
Reading, PA is nowhere comparable in density or building style to downtown Charleston. Reading is not even as large as metro Charleston, a good bit smaller.

I never claimed that Charlotte was as dense as Boston, but much of metro Atlanta is comparable to metro Boston, in terms of density, outside of the central areas of Boston and Cambridge. Note: I'm aware that the city proper of Atlanta has a lower density, namely because of western Buckhead's mansion area taking up about one-third of the city. Metro Atlanta's developed imprint on the land, as in urbanized area, is also a good bit bigger than Boston's.

Quote:
Again what is the point of the rant. There are urban and ruralareas in both...
There's no rant, only a question asked. Seriously, I think that very many northeasterners are insulated and have never truly seen the rest of the country and aren't as critical of their own region as they are of others.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:28 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Perception verses reality, hmm. Let me see, you're trying to frame this debate as though I'm merely "perceiving" what I'm saying. I know what I'm talking about. I've traveled extensively throughout the United States. I've been to every major metropolitan area in the country. I am 35 years old and am thoroughly knowledgeable in areas of demography.

Most areas of the northeast aren't at the density levels that you're claiming that most live at. Most of metro Boston isn't as dense as you're claiming outside of the central core. NYC is dense, but that's NYC. Philadelphia is very dense along the Delaware River from central and north Philadelphia down to Wilmington, DE, but the suburbs west of Philadelphia away from the city are fairly similar to what you'd see in Atlanta, in terms of development patterns and even density. Parts of metro Philadelphia, in New Jersey are also fairly similar east of the NJ Turnpike heading toward the pine barrens. All the other metropolitan areas in the interior northeastern areas aren't to the density you're describing, so it's a pity that you'd try to frame the entire northeast around the density of NYC, parts of Philadelphia, a small sliver of metro Boston, and parts of inner-city DC (which is historically southern).

The South has a greater expanse of rural areas because it is a lot larger. It also has a greater expanse of metropolitan areas and population.

Yes, like everywhere else in the U.S. outside of the northeast from Washington to Boston, and perhaps a slightly more increased concentration from Cleveland on over to Milwaukee. That doesn't mean that the south doesn't have a lot of cities. A major city are generally only two to three hours from each other. Out west, you're sometimes ten to twelve hours apart. The plains are also farther apart. The interior northeast is somewhat similar to parts of the south in this regard. The lower midwest and the upper midwest away from the Great Lakes is no different in this regard.

Reading, PA is nowhere comparable in density or building style to downtown Charleston. Reading is not even as large as metro Charleston, a good bit smaller.

I never claimed that Charlotte was as dense as Boston, but much of metro Atlanta is comparable to metro Boston, in terms of density, outside of the central areas of Boston and Cambridge. Note: I'm aware that the city proper of Atlanta has a lower density, namely because of western Buckhead's mansion area taking up about one-third of the city. Metro Atlanta's developed imprint on the land, as in urbanized area, is also a good bit bigger than Boston's.

There's no rant, only a question asked. Seriously, I think that very many northeasterners are insulated and have never truly seen the rest of the country and aren't as critical of their own region as they are of others.
Fine, your opinion and mine. Neither matter really

As to being well traveled, yes absolutely I am

Atlanta is the size of Phildelphia with 1/5th the people regardless of Buckhead or not

The point is on the density in which people live and not how large the counties are.

Atlanta feel and is in fact the most sprawled major metro, byt a long way and multiple calculations. You absolutely can feel it. I like Atlanta but one thing Atlanta is is a place not densly developed (urban or suburban)

If you want to compare areas east in NJ toward the Pine Barrens and say they are similar to Atlanta, have at it, but remember this is the average development style of Atlanta, whereas in the Philly metro it represents less than 5% of where actual people live

@Htown the urban vs rural you posted are based on % of population residing in such setting not how large the area is. What that means living in CA are more likely to live among urbanized area than most other states, it has nothing to do with how much of the state is developed or not developed.

Frankly I dont care either way. Personally I like the two opposite ends of the scale, for me I would live in either a very urban setting or a rural one, everything in the middles is a place where I personally do not want to live, some will agree with me many wont, why we all have the choice on where to live.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:34 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
A lot of People do not consider Texas to be the south.

I was not aware the Duke, UNC, Wake Forest, NC State metro had a lot of people. Plus it is very spread out with lots of open space isnt it?

I would say Atlanta is your major city, but does it have a sprawling suburb system attached to it? Same with I guess Memphis, and New Orleans?

You are right, outside of the I-95, the Northeast is practically empty. But it does cover a smaller area, and it does have much more people if you discount Florida which most people do not think of when they think "south"
The answer to the thread was made in bold in this post here. But carry on anyway.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:35 PM

Austin Contrarian: Density calculations for U.S. urbanized areas, weighted by census tract

Basically what this table represnets is the average density in which people actually reside among the large metros (specifically among the UAs)

NYC 33K ppsm
Philly 8.5K ppsm
Boston 7.7K ppsm
Baltimore 7K ppsm
DC 6.8K ppsm
Miami 6.8K ppsm
DFW 4.6K ppsm
Houston 4.5K ppsm
Pittsburgh 3.7K ppsm
Atlanta 2.4K ppsm

Additionally before I hear the screams on the densification and 2000 data, the author also recalculated with more recent data for NYC, Houston and Atlanta and all have become less dense in the last ten years (meaning the addition of UA space is diminishing the average density ie we continue to sprawl in metros (Oh Portland and Seattle were also calculated and reduced on average as well))

Regardless what does it matter both have urban and rural space and offer different aspects that people chose because it works best for them.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The answer to the thread was made in bold in this post here. But carry on anyway.

Actually Spade I think you are right, fundamentally that is the difference. Whether that is good or bad is debatable and subjective.

Often I see such smartness in your posts and wonder how with all that intelligence one can route for the Boys, regardless big game on Christmas Eve.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:42 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Actually Spade I think you are right, fundamentally that is the difference. Whether that is good or bad is debatable and subjective.

Often I see such smartness in your posts and wonder how with all that intelligence one can route for the Boys, regardless big game on Christmas Eve.
Now how did I know this week's game was going to come up in your post lol.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Now how did I know this week's game was going to come up in your post lol.

More to make a poke at the Boys, the birds dont deserve the playoffs this year; though their fans are more urban (sorrry couldnt resist)

Carry on!

Old 12-19-2011, 12:57 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
I think many people today do get rural and suburban confused.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:07 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,219,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I think many people today do get rural and suburban confused.
Please weigh in on that a little more, southernnaturelover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.