Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 12:00 AM

1,489 posts, read 8,798,183 times

Advertisements

I think this might be true to a degree....

For example, I notice northern women don't wear make up as much as southern women. Also Southern girls like to wear more "laura ashley" style dresses, while northern women tend to favor more trendy stuff.

Yankee guys tend to go for that spikey gelled hair look. Southern boys have shaggy haircuts with bangs.

And then there's Californians...... well can we say "nip , tuck"?

LOL. I guess these are generalizations but yeah, I think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 12:12 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
People in the Northeast and California dress snobbier while elsewhere people are more down to Earth. For example, people, especially girls from Long Island and Westchester spend hundreds of dollars on clothes just for the sake of showing off not caring about finding good deals and all. Same with girls in SoCal, especially OC.

People in New England are uptight and their fashion sense reflects that.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:14 AM

1,489 posts, read 8,798,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltwaybruiser View Post
I tend to notice the rednecks from West Virginia that wear overalls and John Deere hats. And people from Kentucky tend to wear coonskin hats (Daniel Boone). In Florida they wear T-shirts and shorts and sunglasses and in Maine they wear hats, scarfs, gloves, and jeans. Idon't know why though.
Oh, lol. Well I guess thats because its snowing all the time....

What about those Upstate New York people in their constant denim jackets and flannel? Need to stay warm up there I guess.

Yankees wear shorts when its only 50 degrees outside. I don't think Southerners wear shorts as much as yankees do. But also, Southern men wear more button down and kakis. Northern men are more into trendy fashion like Guchi and Armani suits and such that would be considered a bit "gay" (not that that's bad) to us southern real southern men.

Also in the South, men avoid dark suits and pin stripes. Too New York-ish.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:44 AM

154 posts, read 707,283 times
enough of this northern/southern, "yankee" ****. it's getting really old. who cares! we're all americans! get over it.

you can't generalize like that, about all "northerners" or all girls from long island, westchester, southern california... sure, there's a good amount that spend a lot of money on clothes, but the same can be said for places elsewhere... dallas, atlanta, miami.

and of course people in upstate new york, like syracuse or buffalo, will wear more layers of clothes more of the time. the weather calls for it, so they prepare themselves obviously. same goes for phoenix or tucson, that's why they wear the types of clothes they do...

i mean, where i'm originally from, tampa, there isn't a real 'style'. just wear whatever.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:13 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
I'm a northern girl from Long Island and I don't spend hundreds or thousands to look like Barbie. I hate all that! First off, I don't need to do it, second of all, I never bought into all that b.s.

People should dress how they feel comfortable. Personally I am looking forward to living someplace more relaxed about 'hair', makeup and so on.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:27 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
I have never seen anyone in KY wear a coonskin hat (at least not in this part of the state)

Old 08-30-2007, 06:24 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
People in the Northeast and California dress snobbier while elsewhere people are more down to Earth. For example, people, especially girls from Long Island and Westchester spend hundreds of dollars on clothes just for the sake of showing off not caring about finding good deals and all. Same with girls in SoCal, especially OC.

Man, where do you find the energy to be so bitter towards an entire geographic region in just about every single post?

Old 08-30-2007, 06:51 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
...especially girls from Long Island and Westchester spend hundreds of dollars on clothes just for the sake of showing off not caring about finding good deals and all.
You've never been to a Loehmanns or Daffy's store in those areas, have you.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:24 AM

859 posts, read 3,321,965 times
Quote:

I'm sort of confused how someone can "dress snobby". Snobby is an attitude, not a style. You can be covered in Gucci or covered in Walmart and still have a snobby or nasty attitude doesn't matter.

I think in certain areas that are metro or close to a popular metro people will have more expensive clothes b/c there are a larger variety of stores. If you live near a store and you like what they have you buy it plain and simple. Some areas don't have as much shopping available as others so less people will be seen wearing those designers.

I know I for one wear what I like. I could have a $400 hand bag from Fendi on at the same time I have a $7 shirt from Target. I buy both b/c I like it. It's not to be a snob. I don't care what people think.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:31 AM

14 posts, read 121,550 times
I really believe it can be partially true...people in larger cities have access to a huge array of really neato/fun/interesting clothing compared to places outside of them. Unfortunately, persons in smaller areas are secluded to fashions that chain stores can feed them at their local mall or whatever shopping area. Unless the person is a well traveled person that shops outside of where they live...

Everyone will have their generalizations...but when you look closely you'll find out that no matter where you go...you're going to find a person that looks like this or that. I think the "well dressed" big city person perception is over blown...Believe me, you can find people everywhere else blowing off money on whatever they find "trendy"(oooh...i hate that word!).

BTW...I don't know what you mean by "dressing snobbier". You can find literally Thousands(should i say millions) of people that dress like crap that are snobby...don't generalize...that has to be the most ridiculous thing i've read in a while. That's like saying "abercrombie and Fitch" is "fashionable". Hah...i think not. Fashion is all in execution...fashion is like art...in the eye of the beholder..

If you want to generalize however...go to Kentucky...where everyone likes to conform to wearing all blue and white University of Kentucky paraphernalia. (i'm not kidding...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.