Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 08:53 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
...to us southern real southern men.
southern real southern men? Do they care about the education in South Africa and the Iraq to help with the such as?

Are well-dressed men fake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 11:05 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
[quote=Cprompt;1389103If you want to generalize however...go to Kentucky...where everyone likes to conform to wearing all blue and white University of Kentucky paraphernalia. (i'm not kidding...)[/QUOTE]

Really now? That's funny... I was just out today and saw no one wearing Blue and white or even red and black (UofL).

Old 08-30-2007, 01:12 PM

66 posts, read 339,928 times
When I lived in San Francisco, I remember being surprised at the bright colored clothes women wore in the Central Valley. San Francisco colors were subdued, but Central Valley women looked as if they were at a resort.

When I went home to Michigan recently, I was surprised how many men had facial hair -- almost all the men I know in my Southern community are clean shaven.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:18 PM

30 posts, read 114,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroline95 View Post
enough of this northern/southern, "yankee" ****. it's getting really old. who cares! we're all americans! get over it.

you can't generalize like that, about all "northerners" or all girls from long island, westchester, southern california... sure, there's a good amount that spend a lot of money on clothes, but the same can be said for places elsewhere... dallas, atlanta, miami.

and of course people in upstate new york, like syracuse or buffalo, will wear more layers of clothes more of the time. the weather calls for it, so they prepare themselves obviously. same goes for phoenix or tucson, that's why they wear the types of clothes they do...

i mean, where i'm originally from, tampa, there isn't a real 'style'. just wear whatever.
This is a good point, and I know your intentions are good. True, you can't just throw out demeaning words about a general group of people just because you don't understand.

However, the point of this thread is to determine how people dress, according to their region. Like it or not, many regions actually DO have a style, and it can be influenced by a number of things - weather, attitudes, history, etc. Generalizations are dangerous, yes... but they usually exist for a reason. Obviously not every member of a region is going to fit into the same category. If anything, I think this thread is good - it takes a knowledge of our own MISunderstanding begin the process of accepting and understanding others.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:34 PM

718 posts, read 2,688,601 times
Ive seen it all in california asian businessmen, kids skateboarding in skin tight pants, a person walking around completely bum naked save a bush around his mid region in santa cruz. nothing even really surprises me anymore.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:42 PM

262 posts, read 300,111 times
I live in Connecticut and as far as people from 16-25 go 95% of the people dress "prep" they shop at Abacrombie and Fitch Hollister all those stores then the other 5% are "ghetto then skater.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:53 PM

151 posts, read 739,793 times
Alaskans wear eskimo clothes.

Hawaiians wear a button up shirt and a tie with a grass skirt when they go to work everyday.

Everyone else dresses normal.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:22 PM

14 posts, read 121,550 times
Dont' mean to hijack this thread...someone said Abercrombie...

i don't see where or how...prep is A&F...holister...or whatever cloned store of the sort...cheap or expensive.

how can prep be clothing that never seems to change from year to year...or advertised with half naked people...and/or almost no clothing? Walk into that store and you see half naked people. on their marketing..where's the clothes?? Let me guess...next season and the season after...will be natural colours...and grey, oh lets not forget cargo pants and flipflops.(gotta love people that wear that during the winter...in the snow!!) Talk about a "timeless" look...thier style of clothing hasn't changed in ages.

From a person from Connecticut, prep was once J.Crew-ish, Brooks Bros...etc? Now that's classic.

BTW missymom...you're in a different area...hahaha UofL...Definitely not as hardcore as the rest of the state!

Last edited by Cprompt; 08-30-2007 at 09:31 PM..

Old 08-30-2007, 10:05 PM

718 posts, read 2,688,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cprompt View Post
Dont' mean to hijack this thread...someone said Abercrombie...

i don't see where or how...prep is A&F...holister...or whatever cloned store of the sort...cheap or expensive.

how can prep be clothing that never seems to change from year to year...or advertised with half naked people...and/or almost no clothing? Walk into that store and you see half naked people. on their marketing..where's the clothes?? Let me guess...next season and the season after...will be natural colours...and grey, oh lets not forget cargo pants and flipflops.(gotta love people that wear that during the winter...in the snow!!) Talk about a "timeless" look...thier style of clothing hasn't changed in ages.

From a person from Connecticut, prep was once J.Crew-ish, Brooks Bros...etc? Now that's classic.

BTW missymom...you're in a different area...hahaha UofL...Definitely not as hardcore as the rest of the state!
I can agree with that. Growing up in the late 80's early 90's in suburban pleasanton we always thought ralph lauren was stylish...

Old 08-30-2007, 10:33 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
It doesn't have to be just a region of the country. People look different and dress differently by town, communtiy, school, etc. I used to go to meetings in Raleigh where every county in the state was represented. It was really interesting to see the different ways of dress and the different manner of behavior. For instance, I feel very fortunate to have a beautician who is a professional in every way. She keeps up with what is happening in the beauty industry and passes it on to her customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.