Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: My favorite region in the US is?
The Middle Atlantic 30 9.12%
The Midwest 52 15.81%
The Northeast 63 19.15%
The South 74 22.49%
The Southwest 28 8.51%
The West 82 24.92%
Voters: 329. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 02:45 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,776,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Agreed. In no way do I condone most of the north's behavior, but to leave the union is another story. I mean, the south was willing to die to fight for their rights to preserve slavery. I respect their "enthuisiasm" (for lack of better word) to fight for their rights, but dislike the reasoning.
No, not to preserve slavery. Most Southerners didn't even own slaves.

Jefferson Davis: "We fight not for slavery, but for independence".

They did not die to keep slaves. They died to defend their homeland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 02:53 PM

7,246 posts, read 10,489,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfush View Post
The history of the south is not one of its strong points. In fact its the most shameful of any region.

I prefer the Northeast, the Washington DC area of the Mid Atlantic, the Chicago area of the Midwest, and the San Francisco Bay area of the West. The rest of the country (especially the rural areas) doesn't exist.
That's pretty elitist of you.

I don't think many people like some of the historical aspect of the South, Southerners included -- but that's no reason to just toss it out. Assuming you're referring to slavery, it's not as though the North was a mecca of racial harmony -- quite the contrary.

Sure, I'm a Yankee to the bone, but, politics and religion aside, I still enjoy visiting and appreciate some of the culture of the South, such as its rich tradition of music, its delicious (although pretty unhealthy) food, and its laid-back, hospitable, and generally much more mannered people.

You have a right to show a preference for a region, but try using some tact next time.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:46 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,109,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
No, not to preserve slavery. Most Southerners didn't even own slaves.

Jefferson Davis: "We fight not for slavery, but for independence".

They did not die to keep slaves. They died to defend their homeland.
They died to defend their homeland because their homeland felt their rights regarding slave ownership were being infringed upon.

Let me ask you this: say there were no slaves in any states, ok? Would the war have occured? No. Thank you, good night.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:02 PM

114 posts, read 509,077 times
You have no idea what your talking about. Do a little research on the issue.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
They died to defend their homeland because their homeland felt their rights regarding slave ownership were being infringed upon.

Let me ask you this: say there were no slaves in any states, ok? Would the war have occured? No. Thank you, good night.
A very few did. The majority didn't own slaves and were not fighting for slavery. They wanted their own government. States Rights, etc.
Slavery was one of the issues but to say the whole war was aboot slavery is a very 8th grade version of the "Civil" War.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:45 AM

718 posts, read 2,680,476 times
Quote:
A very few did. The majority didn't own slaves and were not fighting for slavery. They wanted their own government. States Rights, etc.
Slavery was one of the issues but to say the whole war was aboot slavery is a very 8th grade version of the "Civil" War.
actually having studied history in college, i can back steve o up on this one. Virtually every debate the south had in congress prior to secession, that had to do with state rights almost exclusivley revolved around slavery, and whether or not a state or the union had a right to decide whether or not it could have them. It all stems from you guessed it,economics and power. (what else does this world revolve around). Slavery was the souths lively hood economically speaking, and slaves also amounted to 3/5 a white person which provided the south with more congressman than they should have had(since this population could not elect them into office).

Old 09-05-2007, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
actually having studied history in college, i can back steve o up on this one. Virtually every debate the south had in congress prior to secession, that had to do with state rights almost exclusivley revolved around slavery, and whether or not a state or the union had a right to decide whether or not it could have them. It all stems from you guessed it,economics and power. (what else does this world revolve around). Slavery was the souths lively hood economically speaking, and slaves also amounted to 3/5 a white person which provided the south with more congressman than they should have had(since this population could not elect them into office).
Yes and who wrote that version of history? Northerners. They won the war, so they wrote it.

The Southern story was never properly told. The North was not going to free slaves.

Abe Lincoln himself said he wouldn't do it.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrytown View Post
You have no idea what your talking about. Do a little research on the issue.
Here we go again.

How about YOU do a little research and discover WHY South Carolina seceded. Go ahead, read their clause about secession, then tell me that Im wrong.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
True, but slavery was at the forefront for secession reasons. Right? Like I said, had there been no slavery to begin with, what "rights" would the south feel were being violated? Believe what you want...

Old 09-05-2007, 05:35 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,337,195 times
Quote:
Agreed. In no way do I condone most of the north's behavior, but to leave the union is another story. I mean, the south was willing to die to fight for their rights to preserve slavery. I respect their "enthuisiasm" (for lack of better word) to fight for their rights, but dislike the reasoning.
I agree that leaving the union is a bit more extreme in that regard steve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.