Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 10:35 AM

815 posts, read 1,858,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
But anyway, I am quite adventurous and well-traveled - both in the U.S. and internationally. However, I do have my comfort zone in terms of what kind of place I prefer to live in - mainly in the most urban, affluent and populated region of a country. That's why if I ever moved to Canada, it would be to southern Ontario. Or if I ever moved to Europe, it would be to places like southern England or northern France (near Paris). Great scenery is nice, but I have plenty of time to enjoy that for vacations.
The best have always congregated in these types of places, from the times of Egypt, to Rome, to Florence to Paris, to London, to NYC... it's a natural phenomenon to want to be on the cutting edge of human achievement.
That's exactly my thoughts, I have ample vacation time as well so not being in that environment doesn't phase me. Currently there is a lotttt more natural beauty in the world than there are meccas of civilization.
I also understand that some people like different things. I would go crazy if I never got to leave the city. But then again, if I were on vacation in the mountains for too long, I start getting that itch to get back to civilization and need some mental stimulation. I'd rather be somewhere there are things going on and participate in it, rather than reading about it in a book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 11:56 PM

24 posts, read 53,146 times
Both coasts are beautiful. I left the East and moved West and have no qualms living on either coast. Anyone that would argue one is better than the other has a townie mentality in my opinion. Get out of your comfort zone. In fact, leave the continent and you might acquire a better appreciation of what the North American continent has to offer. I've traveled the world and although I appreciate global diversity, I feel privileged that I can access most any ethnic culture right here on the motherland. Amen.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:55 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Furious View Post
Both coasts are beautiful. I left the East and moved West and have no qualms living on either coast. Anyone that would argue one is better than the other has a townie mentality in my opinion.
I'm wondering, on what basis do you believe this? The east and west coasts are practically nothing like each other. I would argue that they are as different as night and day.

I'd be very surprised to meet someone who's been to both and did not have a preference for one over the other.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:37 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
For me, I don't think that I could live just anywhere; I prefer New England ( esp VT, MA and ME), and I also could live in the Chicago/Milwaukee/Madison/Minn-St. Paul region ( I have).

I have some interest in trying the Los Angeles area for a brief time, but I think that I'll just visit from time to time. I need to live in places that have a vigorous winter, and LA wouldn't qualify...

Old 12-29-2011, 11:21 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,932,277 times
I grew up on the East Coast but gave the West Coast a shot. I moved to San Francisco, and after a year or so decided it was time to head back East. However, the biggest reason I wanted to come back was because I felt too disconnected from my family and friends, all of whom live somewhere along the East Coast. There were some other specific things about SF that I never really clicked with, and I'm glad I'm back on the East Coast, but I miss SF a lot sometimes. If SF was on the East Coast somewhere, I'd probably still be there.

However, one thing I learned is that my ideal region in terms of settling is between Virginia and Massachusetts. That's like my home base, although I've been to every major geographic region in the US (Europe twice) and was able to find comfort and something I liked. There's plenty of spots I could see myself living that aren't on the East Coast, but the East Coast is my home for sure.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:53 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'd be very surprised to meet someone who's been to both and did not have a preference for one over the other.
It doesn't have to be an "either-or" proposition. One may have a preference for one coast but still very much appreciate both coasts, or they could like them both equally.

It's been said multiple times, but it is great that we still have some heterogeneity in this country. Although I'm not sure if I could live there long-term, visiting the West Coast from the East is always a pleasure for me. It has such a different vibe from the East Coast, which can be refreshing coming from a place that can be a little too staid at times. Variety is a great thing.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:20 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
It doesn't have to be an "either-or" proposition. One may have a preference for one coast but still very much appreciate both coasts, or they could like them both equally.
I grew up on the Central Coast of California, went to college in Southern California, moved to Boston for three years and now am back in LA.

The only reason I prefer the west coast to the east coast is that I have family here. I prefer the weather here but didn't hate it in Boston.

I prefer LA to Boston (only by a bit) because there is more to do on an everyday basis, but a lot of that preference has to do with a more desirable personal situation as well.

To be honest, one does sound like a townie when he or she says "I'm scared to go out west." It's really not that different, IMO and in my experiences. Now, if you were going to move to Arkansas from NYC, that would be another thing

Old 12-30-2011, 11:54 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times
You people need to get out and experience more. I can't believe the phobia on this thread from east coast "phobians." Ya, I made that up.

You guys are pathetic in how you think you are so superior, when in fact, you are inferior in every way. There is MORE to life than the freaking EAST COAST. Get it?!!!

Old 12-30-2011, 11:55 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
I think it's great that folks in the Northeast want to stay out there...

So do I! They suck!

Old 12-30-2011, 11:56 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
You people need to get out and experience more. I can't believe the phobia on this thread from east coast "phobians." Ya, I made that up.

You guys are pathetic in how you think you are so superior, when in fact, you are inferior in every way. There is MORE to life than the freaking EAST COAST. Get it?!!!

Now those comments are actually every bit as trite as any phobic comment

and Inferior how again, am just curious on the rationale

And I absolutely agree the West offers a ton and some areas of the rest of the country are not that bad either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.