Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 09:34 PM

815 posts, read 1,856,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
I'm still a bit dumbfounded by so many posters thinking the PNW or the west coast in general is so isolated. I never hear anyone saying Florida, Colorado, Texas etc are isolated, but if the measure is by the fact that you have to take a plane, how many people from NYC would actually drive to Miami, Chicago, or Denver? I'd doubt many would be up for that road trip. People in LA don't consider NY isolated, but from a travel distance perspective, it's no different. Welcome to the 21st century - the world is a very small place.
They look at a map. Duh. Going from NYC to Chicago or NYC down to Miami there is a continuous stretch of cities.

Go from Chicago to Seattle and what do you run into? Almost nothing past Minneapolis for 1800 miles

Go from San Francisco to Seattle and what do you get... almost nothing. SF is a bit isolated itself compared to the major population center of the southwest (Phoenix, LA, SD, LV), and Seattle is an additional 800 miles north, that's why.

California is somewhat isolated from the rest of the country, but Pac NW even more so... LA and SD alone have 22 million people.

People in LA don't consider NYC isolated b/c the country was founded there and it is in the massive Bos-Wash corridor.

If you've actually driven across the country this becomes immediately obvious.

Does this help ????

-Astro Observer
Should be flipping obvious a 5 year old could figure out.

Also have you ever driven down i75 or i95???

Last edited by Garfieldian; 12-27-2011 at 09:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 10:19 PM

571 posts, read 1,172,626 times
wow man chill. I'm just used to flying, so distance hasn't been an issue. That's all I was saying. Yup, we are physically isolated. That's not much of an issue in reality anymore though due to technology and modern transport.

Last edited by DJKirkland; 12-27-2011 at 10:28 PM..

Old 12-27-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
wow man chill. I'm just used to flying, so distance hasn't been an issue. That's all I was saying. Yup, we are physically isolated. That's not much of an issue in reality anymore though due to technology and modern transport.
Of course it is, the farther the flight, can't go quick to other places, less visits, lack of local commerce and cultural interchange. The same thing in the extreme ways which allowed cultural developments on island, but a smaller effect. That is why there is a cultural divide of course with the regions. Distance is not a problem only to the very very wealthy, or those who don't want to travel much.
I am chilled, by the way.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:49 PM

571 posts, read 1,172,626 times
Ok, I see what you're saying. Point taken. There are definite cultural differences between our area and the rest of the country, though less prominent than they used to be due to the number of non natives living here now. One thing I would say that should benefit the future growth and commerce of the entire west coast would be the benefit of being on the Pacific Rim and it's emerging economies across the pond.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:59 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
They look at a map. Duh. Going from NYC to Chicago or NYC down to Miami there is a continuous stretch of cities.

Go from Chicago to Seattle and what do you run into? Almost nothing past Minneapolis for 1800 miles

Go from San Francisco to Seattle and what do you get... almost nothing. SF is a bit isolated itself compared to the major population center of the southwest (Phoenix, LA, SD, LV), and Seattle is an additional 800 miles north, that's why.

California is somewhat isolated from the rest of the country, but Pac NW even more so... LA and SD alone have 22 million people.

People in LA don't consider NYC isolated b/c the country was founded there and it is in the massive Bos-Wash corridor.

If you've actually driven across the country this becomes immediately obvious.

Does this help ????

-Astro Observer
Should be flipping obvious a 5 year old could figure out.

Also have you ever driven down i75 or i95???
Driving semis through the uncolored land mass, you're pretty much spot on about the isolation and distance.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:08 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yes, I agree. To me, the PNW seems quite isolated. Heck, even San Francisco and the rest of northern California feels isolated. So you know where I'm coming from.
I have always felt this way. Even San Francisco, as nice as it seems for people who live there, could slide into the ocean and most Americans wouldn't notice. Anything north of there might as well be on another planet (and I have relatives in Oregon and have visited there)

Old 12-28-2011, 08:26 AM

Sorry the post came off a bit angry. But yes it is most definitely isolated and feels that way in observing the cultural differences and norms in the region. It certainly has it's own distinct feel and culture that has developed.
Seattle and Vancouver are certainly poised to grow and have a strong corporate and international trade base, but I think these will grow stronger with the Pacific Rim countries than they do with the rest of the U.S. I am not sure I can say the same thing about Portland or Eugene given the local politics there. I think right now Portland is in a bit of a Renaissance phase, but I am not sure that continue given the long standing poor employment #'s and what seems like a growing homeless problem. They want to keep the economy local, and that is nice and all but it isn't going to work without a pragmatic balance and they will continue to suffer lower comparable wages and high relative unemployment until they can balance out their politics.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:05 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I live in St Paul, which is the end of the earth as far as the eastern half of the US is concerned. Travelling west to San Francisco, LA, Seattle or San Diego via airplane seems extremely far compared to flying east or south to NYC, Boston, DC or Atlanta. I sometimes change planes in Denver--seems like I should be on the West Coast already when I have only completed the first leg of my trip! It's the sheer size of the west that makes the trip there seem so isolated to me.
This is my perspective as well. And although driving 12 hours across the Midwest or Northeast isn't IDEAL, at least I can do it. I literally can't drive to San Francisco from Minneapolis in even a 4 day weekend, especially with baby. We DO drive from Minneapolis to Cleveland though (12 hours'ish) because it's quite a bit cheaper than flying. For some reason the option to drive makes things seem just THAT much closer...

Old 12-28-2011, 09:28 AM

504 posts, read 1,270,227 times
There are cultural differences, and IMO they extend into (Northern) Idaho and Montana. Regardless of politics, I've found that Northwesterners are the coldest and most reserved people in the country.

I'm not hating - I spent a fair share of my early years in the NW, and I fit that stereotype to a T - but I absolutely notice a difference when I go to the NW versus the Midwest or Eastern Seaboard.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
This is my perspective as well. And although driving 12 hours across the Midwest or Northeast isn't IDEAL, at least I can do it. I literally can't drive to San Francisco from Minneapolis in even a 4 day weekend, especially with baby. We DO drive from Minneapolis to Cleveland though (12 hours'ish) because it's quite a bit cheaper than flying. For some reason the option to drive makes things seem just THAT much closer...
I've done 10-12 hour trips quite often to see family on the "rest of the U.S." side.. And plenty in the 6-8 hour range. I was doing it at least 5-6 times a year for awhile. When I was on the west coast, I could barely afford to go once or twice a year. As the distance and TIME to travel was so great. If you have a lot of family in the Southeast, Midwest, or Northeast... It is going to stress your relationships by moving to the West Coast... If it doesn't then, you are just lucky I think.
Driving from Chicago to SF for instance is an ORDEAL, at least a 4 day drive for instance covering over 500 miles a day plus all the hotels. I can drive 14-15 hours if I need to on a singular day ... but not multiple days in a row. But if I need to make it 15-16 hours, I know I have a free place to stay seeing family or friends when I get there. Driving is still often cheaper everything considered especially on holiday weekends, and it doubles for everybody in the car how much you save over flying.
Also, my favorite place to go is Europe, flying from say New York to Dublin or the carribbean is about the same price as flying from NY to SF or Seattle... I'll take Europe every time. For somebody who travels a lot, living on the "rest of the U.S." side has worked out much cheaper... Others may be different but I know it's significantly cheaper for me.
I am glad I got to experience living on the West Coast to get a perspective on that part of the country, but I wouldn't do it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.