Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2012, 08:44 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Fort Wort should be passing it long before 2020. Maybe even this year.

Austin passed San Francisco last year I believe. But our laggard census has not caught up.

Austin should be neck and neck with Indianapolis, and only a few thousand behind Jacksonville, so it should be right there outside the top ten. Unless something drastic happens Both Austin and FW will be around the ten spot by 2010
But what about Columbus, Ohio? It is one of the fastest growing cities in the entire Midwest and has already surpass Detroit in population.
Columbus should definitely be up their with Austin and Fort Worth, TX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 10:25 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
But what about Columbus, Ohio? It is one of the fastest growing cities in the entire Midwest and has already surpass Detroit in population.
Columbus should definitely be up their with Austin and Fort Worth, TX.
who said it isn't??

well it is doing well but not growing as fast as Austin, FW and Charlotte.

2010 Stats:
Rank. City........Growth Rate.......Current population
8. San Diego----- 8% ----------- 1.3M
9. Dallas-------- 0.8% ---------1.2M
11. Jacksonville-- 12% ---------821K
12. Indianapolis-- 6% ---------820K
13. San Francisco-3.7%--------805K
14. Austin--------20%----------790K
15. Columbus------10%--------787K
16. Fort Worth----40% ------- 741
17. Charlotte------35%------- 737

Red- Sluggish Growth
Magenta- Fair growth
Green- Healthy
Blue- Rapid Growth.

Seems like Columbus had a good decade but we will have to see if it keeps up with the Charlotte, FW crowd or keeps more inline with Jacksonville. In terms of raw numbers it posted 75K, Jacksonville posted 85K and FW posted 210K.

That is why I think that if DFW and Austin keeps up their successful economies they are sure to be just outside the top ten by 2010. Columbus on the other hand will probably be just below Jacksonville and Indianapolis.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:14 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,253,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
UGGGGGGH!

How many times do we have to go over this?
I don't believe in twin city/sister city system. The metro is Metro Dallas, as Dallas is the face and power of its metro, as well as the brand just as Miami is of south FL, DC of its region, LA of its region, Minneapolis of its region, and SF of its region. The remaining cities can argue which way they please, they're all just overgrown overshadowed suburbs IMO.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
I don't believe in twin city/sister city system. The metro is Metro Dallas, as Dallas is the face and power of its metro, as well as the brand just as Miami is of south FL, DC of its region, LA of its region, Minneapolis of its region, and SF of its region. The remaining cities can argue which way they please, they're all just overgrown overshadowed suburbs IMO.
that is silly talk. ST Paul and Fort Worth were independent cities long before the suburban system became en vogue.

In Fact St Paul used to be bigger than Minneapolis.
Dallas and FW were founded at about the same time and Dallas didn't really pull away until after the great depression.

You may not believe in the Twin city system, some don't believe in evolution, but it is still there whether you believe in it or not.

LMAO. St Paul was originally known as 'Pig's Eye'

Last edited by HtownLove; 01-07-2012 at 12:53 PM..

Old 01-07-2012, 01:36 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Yeah, you're opinion. NOT fact.

Dallas and Fort Worth are two different cities that just so happened to grow into each other over the years with its suburbs growing just as well.

Also, Dallas isn't as powerful as you make it. Fort Worth and Arlington have both pulled their weight in making DFW what it is today. Without those two, Dallas would probably be another Cleveland, only with a few more thousand people and better economy. There would be no 3rd largest/busiest airports in the world here. There would be no 6 million pop. Possibly no Jerryworld, Super Bowl, Six Flags, or Hurricane Harbor. I doubt this area would have teams in all 4 of the major sports in this country and no ESPN Dallas.

Just because Dallas is more well known or is "the face" of the area doesn't mean it IS the area. And don't try to compare DFW to Miami and L.A. because they are one major or very large city with a bunch of small suburbs around. DFW is TWO big cities, 3 mid-sized cities, and suburbs. It's called Dallas-Fort Worth for a reason.

Fort Worth is NOT a twin city, it's NOT a sister city, and it damn sure isn't a suburb.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:52 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Fort Wort should be passing it long before 2020. Maybe even this year.

Austin passed San Francisco last year I believe. But our laggard census has not caught up.

Austin should be neck and neck with Indianapolis, and only a few thousand behind Jacksonville, so it should be right there outside the top ten. Unless something drastic happens Both Austin and FW will be around the ten spot by 2010

And this is where city population stats are completely USELESS in determining city size. FW and Austin larger than SF and Boston, just stupid to even consider these to be even remotely relevant. I like FW but honestly it mostly feels like Wilmington DE with a huge suburban boundary that wraps around it. FW is like a top 20 city in population and a top 100 city in real life. I know I am a broken record but come on Austin is small, like Columbus OH; an overgrown college town with some cool attributes, a major city, well not even close. These city population measures are frankly laughable.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
And this is where city population stats are completely USELESS in determining city size. FW and Austin larger than SF and Boston, just stupid to even consider these to be even remotely relevant. I like FW but honestly it mostly feels like Wilmington DE with a huge suburban boundary that wraps around it. FW is like a top 20 city in population and a top 100 city in real life. I know I am a broken record but come on Austin is small, like Columbus OH; an overgrown college town with some cool attributes, a major city, well not even close. These city population measures are frankly laughable.
just take it for what it is. Everyone and their cousin is larger than the city of Boston.

we are not talking metro areas, so no need to come on here with that NE talk. it just comes off as pompous

I am sure no one on here needs to be told how fantastic Boston area is, so what is your point in Slamming FW???

the talk is about Cities, leave it at that.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Yeah, you're opinion. NOT fact.

Dallas and Fort Worth are two different cities that just so happened to grow into each other over the years with its suburbs growing just as well.

Also, Dallas isn't as powerful as you make it. Fort Worth and Arlington have both pulled their weight in making DFW what it is today. Without those two, Dallas would probably be another Cleveland, only with a few more thousand people and better economy. There would be no 3rd largest/busiest airports in the world here. There would be no 6 million pop. Possibly no Jerryworld, Super Bowl, Six Flags, or Hurricane Harbor. I doubt this area would have teams in all 4 of the major sports in this country and no ESPN Dallas.

Just because Dallas is more well known or is "the face" of the area doesn't mean it IS the area. And don't try to compare DFW to Miami and L.A. because they are one major or very large city with a bunch of small suburbs around. DFW is TWO big cities, 3 mid-sized cities, and suburbs. It's called Dallas-Fort Worth for a reason.

Fort Worth is NOT a twin city, it's NOT a sister city, and it damn sure isn't a suburb.

And Frankly to me this is more absurd. all FW is in reality is a small city/maybe even large town with lessor developed suburbs than what sorrounds LA or Miami (or really any other large city). The difference is a huge municipality area wise; Frankly once outside of the small DT of FW who cares it is the same exact suburbs you find everywhere in the US. I like FW but a big city it is not. Much of the area isnt even developed, calling it a large city is frankly stupid and calling those suburbs in LA or Miami (or anywher else) as different is frankly pure boosting on municipality size. It is not a reality to anyone who actually knows.

It is like saying Arlington or Irving are any different, they are not either they are pure and simple the same burbs fond everywhere, no more no less

Hmm DC, Boston, SF, Fort Worth - which one doesnt belong?

Old 01-07-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
just take it for what it is. Everyone and their cousin is larger than the city of Boston.

we are not talking metro areas, so no need to come on here with that NE talk. it just comes off as pompous

I am sure no one on here needs to be told how fantastic Boston area is, so what is your point in Slamming FW???

the talk is about Cities, leave it at that.

Exactly neither FW nor Austin nor Jax nor Columbus are major cities and discussing them as such is just absolutely stupid. So yes I will always bring reality in when they are discussed as being larger than reality. FW or Austin a top ten city. Can you say a stupid stat that has about as much relevance to reality as saying Guttenburg NJ is one of densest cities in America.

All they are is outlier municiple boundaries. City boundaries are just useless in any comparative regard.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:54 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
Quote:
But Dallas doesn't dominate its metro like other cities such as Los Angeles or Houston. The balance of power is more spread out to multiple cities in the DFW area. Dallas is more like a twin/sister city than a stand alone city dominating its metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.