Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 03:39 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times

Advertisements

ISn't there also something called the clothing belt I guess? And no, I'm not talking about the belt you wear around the waist. St. Louis was once a very big city for manufacturing clothing, in addition to shoes and a lot of other things. You can see a lot of these old buildings on the northern and southern sides of downtown. I would imagine it was probably present in the entire rustbelt region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 03:40 PM

718 posts, read 2,688,111 times
what about the tabacco belt

Old 09-05-2007, 03:41 PM

There is also the clothing belt (not the belt around your waist) which I think was part of the rust belt. St. Louis used to be one of the most important cities in the United STates for clothes. We manufactured shirts, pants, and especially shoes. I would think that was part of the rustbelt at one point.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
what about the tabacco belt
I think I might've posted something about that earlier. The tobacco belt, yes. It starts in Maryland and pretty much follows the Ohio River southwest and to the south for regions in which it is found. I think it is primarily a southeastern product though.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:47 PM

30 posts, read 114,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
There is also the clothing belt (not the belt around your waist) which I think was part of the rust belt. St. Louis used to be one of the most important cities in the United STates for clothes. We manufactured shirts, pants, and especially shoes. I would think that was part of the rustbelt at one point.
Yeah, I know at one time we were a major shoe manufacturer... wasn't there a big shoe factory downtown somewhere? I'm thinking it was called Brown Shoe Co., but maybe I'm mistaken.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorpc View Post
Yeah, I know at one time we were a major shoe manufacturer... wasn't there a big shoe factory downtown somewhere? I'm thinking it was called Brown Shoe Co., but maybe I'm mistaken.
No you are correct, in fact that term was in my head when I was thinking about. I believe that the City Museum is right next to the old shoe factory if not in the building itself!

Old 09-06-2007, 01:14 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermyst View Post
And what states do they include? I know there is the corn, bible, rust, and sun.
Sometimes almost synonomous with the Rust Belt is the SNow Belt or the Frost Belt. They mostly overlap but not completely. Like Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, OHio, and Pennylvania and New Jersey and upstate NY would be in both. North Dakota and MInnesota are not Rust Belt but they are Frost/Snow Belt. The poor economies in this expanded region is due as much to the unpleasant weather as industrial decay.

Not very PC but I'd personally add the "Burrito Belt" stretching non-stop from Los Angeles to San Antonio....then picking up 1000 miles to the east to include Miami-Dade.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:21 PM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Not very PC but I'd personally add the "Burrito Belt" stretching non-stop from Los Angeles to San Antonio....then picking up 1000 miles to the east to include Miami-Dade.

LOL.....good one

Old 09-06-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Sometimes almost synonomous with the Rust Belt is the SNow Belt or the Frost Belt. They mostly overlap but not completely. Like Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, OHio, and Pennylvania and New Jersey and upstate NY would be in both. North Dakota and MInnesota are not Rust Belt but they are Frost/Snow Belt. The poor economies in this expanded region is due as much to the unpleasant weather as industrial decay.

Illinois and Indiana and Michigan to my knowledge are not considered part of the Snow Belt. Michigan arguably could be since it does get a lot of lake effect snow, but only the Northernmost parts of Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio IMO qualify as the Snow Belt. The Snow Belt region that I know of begins in Northeastern Ohio in Cleveland and heads northeast and due east of there. It does not encompass the Midwest generally. Illinois normally does not get lake effect snow to my knowledge do to its being west of the Great Lakes. The Snow Belt to my knowledge is a region which typically gets 60 or more inches of snow. In this respect, places like Chicago and the Twin Cities and even Detroit do not qualify for this. Their historical averages are in the 30 inch range. Minneapolis maybe 40 inch. Cleveland and Northeast Ohio to my knowledge are the only parts of the Midwest that are in the Snow Belt.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:06 PM

4 posts, read 16,658 times
Boise, Idaho:
Unchurched belt. Technically. The "official" UB is Wash. Ore. Hawaii and Alaska, but Idaho should count in that also. Idaho had a higher percentage of 'non-religious' people in the 2000 census than Oregon at 20% even with a large population of Mormons in the state. The southern part of the state, and even arguably the Boise area, is in the Jello Belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.