Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 10:17 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,254,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post

As far as the Midwest is concerned, the rust belt cities I consider to be making the best comeback are Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and St. Louis. Cleveland and Detroit are still in decline, although both are clearly working hard to reverse it.
Huh? Cleveland still in a decline, you say? Not a chance my good man.
Witness the new & improved CLEVELAND!

Downtown Cleveland... Is It For You? - YouTube

Cleveland's Case Western Reserve University School of Law - YouTube

Downtown Cleveland Is Moving - YouTube

And ...

Just last night, Cleveland City Council has approved plans for a massive new waterfront development that will drastically alter the Lake Erie shores in our city ...

Cleveland City Council Makes Way for Lakefront Progress | FOX8.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 08:32 PM

869 posts, read 1,277,803 times
Cleveland's revival and building boom getting some more national attention:

The Return of the Comeback City

Old 03-22-2012, 08:13 PM

The BOOMING MOMENTUM of redevelopment / investment in Downtown Cleveland has another BIG PROJECT to join its impressive portfolio ...

The classic, 1950s styled and glass curtained EAST OHIO GAS BUILDING (Vacant since 2009) has been purchased by a major developer and will be re-purposed as luxury apartments in the heart of the financial district.

K&D Group plans to buy, remake East Ohio Building in downtown Cleveland as 223 apartments by 2014 (gallery) | cleveland.com

IMAGE GALLERY -

http://photos.cleveland.com/plain-de...eastohio1.html

Old 03-23-2012, 03:34 PM

719 posts, read 1,553,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japster28 View Post
I think the only city that hasnt seen recovery is Buffalo. While Cleveland and Detroit may seem to be faring worse, Detroit has the advantage of 3 of americas primary automakers based there, plus an excellent metro. Cleveland has lots of Pittsburgh esque jobs like healthcare and biotech. However, Buffalo has a weak job market, no real principal industry, and a crummy metro. There is big hope that Niagara Falls tourism in Canada can spill over into Buffalo though.
A comment like this makes me wonder if you've been to Buffalo in the last decade or so. Healthcare / UB / Financial are huge drivers in WNY and have helped get the economy back on track. Already low unemployment and very affordable housing have helped accelerate the turnaround.
Buffalo ranked #10 for "Best Places to Raise a Family by Forbes: In Pictures: America's Best Places To Raise A Family - No. 10: Buffalo-Niagara Falls, N.Y. - Forbes.com
Buffalo's largest suburb, Amherst NY, is rated year after year in the top 10 for Safest City in America (pop 100k+) (google it if you don't believe me)
Waterfront development ongoing.
Massive growth in the Medical Corridor and much more coming.
And the momentum has really just begun. Let's not forget the $1 billion economic-development package for Buffalo (and possibly some area communities) over the next five years committed by Albany.
Your outdated and incorrect stereotypes of WNY are making it clear you haven't got a clue about the area.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:15 PM

42 posts, read 63,956 times
I know this might sound crazy. And its not because I live here but I would Put Akron Ohio on the List.
Because we lost all of the major Idustrial jobs in the 80s Goodyear Firestone Goodrich and many of the compaines that thrived off of those 3.

Fast foward to 2000s Akron University has expanded and placed itself as the third largest college (enrollment) in the state behind the ever so famous Ohio State University, Cincinnati U,

A wornderful Medical field!!! One of the largest in Ohio!!
Summa is doing great things ...of course we cant rival Cleveland Clinic!!!

We have a thriving Polymer Research center and school (The First one in the world!!! We have completely renovated our Downtown to cater to the new college population.

Low cost of living excellent Public Transportation and a realtively low crime rate for a city of its size. 257K city proper metro 700k metro
witthin 30-40 mintue drive to Cleveland-which is a DUMP!!!!
Now this is not your Cleveland Pittsburgh or Cincy or Milwaukee but, I get tired of people talking about the same cities!!!! Yessss people there are other cities here!!!!!Top 10 "Rust Belt" cities that are making a comeback.-aa_skyline.jpg

Old 03-25-2012, 06:18 PM

237 posts, read 249,292 times
You made good points until you called Cleveland a dump..Cleveland drives the region, and as Cleveland goes Akron, Canton, and Youngstown go. With $7 billion in economic development on the horizon, the world's finest healthcare, the countries 2nd largest performing arts district, a world class orchestra, entertainment venues that include the new aquarium, the rock hall, The Cavs, Browns, and Indians and a nightlife that spans from W. 6th to E. 4th, Kamms Corners to Coventry how is it again that Cleveland is a dump???

I'm not disputing that some good things are going on in Akron with the University pouring money into the city's core. I can only guess that either

A. you haven't been to Cleveland in over 10 years and are basing your judgement on the wrong turn you made on Broadway

OR

B. you suffer from the self-inflicted Akroner syndrome of "I don't want to be Cleveland's little brother, I'm relevant, and I still love Lebron James because he gets that"

I'm guessing the latter

Old 03-25-2012, 07:45 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times
It's in Akronites' DNA to call Cleveland a dump.

Clevelanders actually like Akron, though, just like they like Chagrin Falls or Sandusky.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:55 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
No offense meant, but Akron IS a dump! That city makes Cleveland look "cheery"!

Old 03-25-2012, 09:32 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
I've noticed a tendency for people from Akron to give a cold shoulder to Cleveland.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:15 PM

Cleveland's powerful momentum continues unabated ...

Downtown Cleveland's boom is real, experts say, thanks to millennials moving in | cleveland.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.