Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 11:00 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,235,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
you have never been to CA's inland empire have you? If there is any part of NY state that vaguely resembles the inland empire I would give it to the Syracuse area, and thats a stretch.

Besides the Hudson River valley is one of the most beautiful parts of the United States.

The inland empire is pretty much a smoggy, urbanized desert filled with jesus freaks, gang bangers, meth-heads and libertarian leave-me-alones.
I got the impression that the OP was talking about the Inland Empire, more as a outer edge suburb with more affordable housing and a very long distance commute. Not so much the naturall landscape of the IE, such as desert with nearby mountains.

SOME portions of the Hudson Valley are like the Inland Empire, like southern Dutchess County where people from the Bronx are leapfrogging over expensive Westchester County and the hard to develop Hudson Highlands to less expensive Dutchess.

However, I agree with your post here in the sense that when Ckthankgod said the Hudson Valley, it might give the wrong impression that a larger part of the Hudson Valley is like the Inland Empire then is warranted. This is also true when someone said Long Island, portions of central Suffolk perhaps, but most of Long Island is expensive. People do not move to most of Long Island to save money, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 12:28 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,920,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I got the impression that the OP was talking about the Inland Empire, more as a outer edge suburb with more affordable housing and a very long distance commute. Not so much the naturall landscape of the IE, such as desert with nearby mountains.

SOME portions of the Hudson Valley are like the Inland Empire, like southern Dutchess County where people from the Bronx are leapfrogging over expensive Westchester County and the hard to develop Hudson Highlands to less expensive Dutchess.

However, I agree with your post here in the sense that when Ckthankgod said the Hudson Valley, it might give the wrong impression that a larger part of the Hudson Valley is like the Inland Empire then is warranted. This is also true when someone said Long Island, portions of central Suffolk perhaps, but most of Long Island is expensive. People do not move to most of Long Island to save money, lol.
What about Rockland and Orange Counties, NY?

Old 01-03-2012, 01:49 AM

10,742 posts, read 23,795,420 times
Boston doesn't have much of a comparison to IE or any parallel to SoCal sprawl but the non-descript and far commuting suburbs are mostly Middlesex and Norfolk counties, outer burbs along I-495 and I-93 into Southern NH. Places like Foxboro, Billerica, Methuen, Wrentham, Marlboro, Milford all come to mind. They have long commutes to Boston/95-128, return little non descript exurban/suburban towns, many filled with colonial revival subdivsions that all look the same and nothing to do. Dinner at Bertucci's in the mall two towns over is about as exciting as it gets in those parts.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 01-03-2012 at 01:59 AM..

Old 01-03-2012, 02:44 AM

896 posts, read 1,168,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Boston doesn't have much of a comparison to IE or any parallel to SoCal sprawl but the non-descript and far commuting suburbs are mostly Middlesex and Norfolk counties, outer burbs along I-495 and I-93 into Southern NH. Places like Foxboro, Billerica, Methuen, Wrentham, Marlboro, Milford all come to mind. They have long commutes to Boston/95-128, return little non descript exurban/suburban towns, many filled with colonial revival subdivsions that all look the same and nothing to do. Dinner at Bertucci's in the mall two towns over is about as exciting as it gets in those parts.
Are you kidding me Boston sprawls out waaay more than LA, our sprawl for the most part is mildly dense and consistent, Boston has one house here another there a quarter mile away in the outer burbs, how's that commute from new bedford to Boston

Old 01-03-2012, 03:16 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,856,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale the male View Post
I don't live in CA but I think Sacramento area would be the north's version of the inland empire.

Here in the Minneapolis Saint Paul area we don't have a lot of urban sprawl so here, it doesn't really apply.
Sacramento is not the Bay Area's IE. Sac is it's own metro region with a central city, Sacramento, that has plenty of character. Not to mention that Sacramento has many surrounding cities which are wealthy with nice scenery, and Sacramento itself has a great arts and culinary scene.

Not to mention that Sactown is the CAPITOL of California.

Bay Area's Inland Empire would be places like the far East Bay, places like Fairfield, Vallejo, Vacaville, Pittsburgh, Antioch, etc.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:24 AM

10,742 posts, read 23,795,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Are you kidding me Boston sprawls out waaay more than LA, our sprawl for the most part is mildly dense and consistent, Boston has one house here another there a quarter mile away in the outer burbs, how's that commute from new bedford to Boston
There's a pretty remarkable difference between semi-rural exurban and straight up cookie cutter sprawl. The whole state of Massachusetts has about 6 million people. SoCal has at least twice that many in the same amount of land area. There isn't anything that looks like the Inland Empire here, though there are many extended and long distance commuters living in non descript towns, yes its a bit rediculous. Fortunately my commute is 3/4 mile walk.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:52 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,093,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
you have never been to CA's inland empire have you? If there is any part of NY state that vaguely resembles the inland empire I would give it to the Syracuse area, and thats a stretch.

Besides the Hudson River valley is one of the most beautiful parts of the United States.

The inland empire is pretty much a smoggy, urbanized desert filled with jesus freaks, gang bangers, meth-heads and libertarian leave-me-alones.
If by the Syracuse area, you mean Fulton, New York, I agree with you. I once spent a very long day doing some political canvassing in Fulton and met all those types.

By the end of the day, I was ready to retire from canvassing.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:40 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
If by the Syracuse area, you mean Fulton, New York, I agree with you. I once spent a very long day doing some political canvassing in Fulton and met all those types.

By the end of the day, I was ready to retire from canvassing.
In order to be compared to the inland empire you have to be talking about one of the largest metros. Syracuse is neither large enough nor expensive enough that people have to live 60 miles away and commute into town in order to afford their own house.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:24 PM

32 posts, read 73,065 times
Yeah, you really can't compare CA to any other state, it's just too different. I'm from CA and have lived in other places and nothing compares to CA (not saying that in a judgemental tone at all, just nothing is very much like it at all). The only other place I liked living and would live again is Florida. Although when I first moved to FL I was in shock at how different the way of life, culture and people were. It took a good year to adjust.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:16 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,235,535 times
Default Inland Empire

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
What about Rockland and Orange Counties, NY?
In the sense that Rockland County is a cheaper alternative to nearby Westchester and Bergen Counties --- maybe. However, I still do not think Rockland is that cheap and it is not really that far to NYC, not to mention to other job markets in northern NJ and Westchester (White Plains). Plus there is even quick train service to NYC and Hudson County.

Some parts of Orange County might qualify. I saw one development, a area of very old cabins built going up the side of Schunnemunk Mountain (?) that I was not to impressed with. I am not sure if this was cheap exurban housing or just a old pre-war vacation area. However, I do know a good deal of Orange is still rural and they have an active farmland preservation and parks program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.