Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:10 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,779 times

Advertisements

^I love Cleveland too, but lots of cities are having high downtown occupancy rates these days. There's nothing new there with that. Now some of the neighborhoods - Battery Park/Detroit Shoreway, North Collinwood, Asia Town, Tremont and Ohio City, West Park/Kamm's Corner, and inner ring Cleveland Hts and Lakewood - seem to have some momentum with the hipster/artist/musical types. So for that I'd say Cleveland is becoming trendy.

Now if we can get 25 more 668-like apartments up and running, and the demand is there, then I'll concede the downtown point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 02:20 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,324,621 times
I wonder how many cities have an International Music Festival?
Our city has that, and it draws all kinds of people here every year. The Cajun culture is something unique entirely though and all the art/creativity around here really cant be attributed to "hipsters". This city was always about art and music and culture and that's why I really love it.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:30 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,670,704 times
Columbus has the fact going for it that it already has the arts district (short north) which melds with a large gay community, many young professionals, students, etc. Further the city has the corporate headquarters for retail of Limited, Victoria's Secret, Abercrombie, Express, and more. This brings fashion talent into the city that many of the other cities listed are not able to pull. Many of these designers may and do open their own boutiques and spawn a local fashion scene.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:13 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
I think Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and Baltimore will all be among the "trendier" places to live over the next few years. I'm originally from Virginia, and can say that Richmond is already a hipster city. I can see Norfolk becoming trendier once Richmond becomes an old hat. It's already got a few hipster/yuppie neighborhoods sprouting up.
Hell, add in Cleveland and then the AFC North can brag that it's the most trendy division in the NFL!

Old 01-12-2012, 06:31 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movestoomuch View Post
I lived in Pittsburgh for 5 long years. Never again. It has a GREAT PR team -- in reality - it was much more difficult to live in. Everyone I knew back then have since moved on to other places as well. But I do give it credit for effort and if you are from there, you probably love it.
When did you live there?

Off the top of my head, I know of four transplants to Pittsburgh on the Pittsburgh forum here: two from Detroit, one from Washington DC and one from Orlando. None of them hate it there, from what I can tell. Just because you hated it there doesn't mean that you have to be born and raised in the area in order to like it. Furthermore, your opinion isn't necessarily representative of the opinions of everybody who's ever moved to Pittsburgh from elsewhere.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:42 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
OMG, I was howling....thanks for the laugh. I'd love to see any kind of reference relating either to fashionista/trendsetter. A more likely explanation is that they're there getting ready to film a new season of the Surreal Life
Here's a better idea. How about we send all the Kardashians to North Korea? That will put meaning into surreal life. It would be good for them and America.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:17 AM

345 posts, read 976,506 times
While New Orleans has long been considered a tourist destination and having a very distinct culture, during the mid 2000s it suffered an undeniable hit vis a vis Hurricane Katrina, and many thought the city would never retain the level of greatness that it once did. People also thought the city's sports teams would bolt and no major events would be held in the city again.

However, there's been a concerted effort to change that. If you've noticed over the past few years, numerous movies have been filmed in New Orleans. HBO's Treme is set in New Orleans and celebrates the city in good ways and in bad. Neither the Saints nor Hornets departed the city after Katrina, the Saints won a Super Bowl, and the city itself will be hosting a Super Bowl next year (meanwhile, it's unclear when the next time Miami will host, even with a relatively modern stadium and an ideal climate). Restaraunts and businesses that left after Katrina have returned.

So while New Orleans never truly faded from memory, it certainly has trended upwards in the past few years.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:38 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
[quote=PeteU;22525435]While New Orleans has long been considered a tourist destination and having a very distinct culture, during the mid 2000s it suffered an undeniable hit vis a vis Hurricane Katrina, and many thought the city would never retain the level of greatness that it once did. People also thought the city's sports teams would bolt and no major events would be held in the city again.

However, there's been a concerted effort to change that. If you've noticed over the past few years, numerous movies have been filmed in New Orleans. HBO's Treme is set in New Orleans and celebrates the city in good ways and in bad. Neither the Saints nor Hornets departed the city after Katrina, the Saints won a Super Bowl, and the city itself will be hosting a Super Bowl next year (meanwhile, it's unclear when the next time Miami will host, even with a relatively modern stadium and an ideal climate). Restaraunts and businesses that left after Katrina have returned.

So while New Orleans never truly faded from memory, it certainly has trended upwards in the past few years.[/quot

The thread was for new trendy city NOLA been trendy for a hundred years.......

Old 01-13-2012, 08:42 AM

345 posts, read 976,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post

The thread was for new trendy city NOLA been trendy for a hundred years.......
If you read my post, New Orleans had taken quite a hit post-Katrina, and many people speculated that the city would never recover.

But looking at the emergence of New Orleans as a filming location (not just a setting) and prominent events in the future, it's taken a nice upward trend over the past couple of years.

A trend need not start from zero.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:22 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Wow….8 of the ten cities in your top ten come from the West and the other two still west of the Mississippi. What a surprise that a Californians thinks that all the top trendy cities will be in the west. :roll eyes:

No I had some Eastern Cities on my list....people from the east promote their's cities ' without any western cities on them " (I didn't Do that)..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.