Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:22 PM

43 posts, read 113,551 times

Advertisements

i'll stick with america
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 02:46 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,922,186 times
If you can find employment, Key West is located in South Florida. Their all time record low is 41. Sure, it may get chilly there at times, especially with the breeze whipping up, but it is usually taken as a nice refreshment from the otherwise hot and humid weather they see for most of the year.
As for North Florida, yeah, it gets just as hot there (if not hotter), but it DOES get cold a lot more frequently than one would think. It will get below freezing in places like Panama City, Tallahassee and Jacksonville at LEAST once a year. It can get pretty chilly in Orlando, too. Doesn't last too long, so if you can handle a few days of cold temps then have at it.

Otherwise, Honolulu was a good suggestion earlier. Hawaii is an expensive place to live though. Quite a bit to sacrifice for warmer weather IMO.

As for me, I LOVE the cold weather. Perhaps I love it because it isn't something I see for most of the year since I live in Georgia. Even after a bad snow and ice storm last winter that kept everyone in doors for two weeks, I still take it all in stride! I got out in it and loved every minute of it. I also enjoy visiting my friends in Buffalo during winter months as well. Driven through near white out conditions in West Virginia on the way up there and haven't had any issues. As long as one takes it slow and doesn't make any sudden fast movements, you're fine! Anyway, I've gotten off subject, but you got my point. Good luck!

Old 01-07-2012, 10:26 PM

43 posts, read 113,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
If you can find employment, Key West is located in South Florida. Their all time record low is 41. Sure, it may get chilly there at times, especially with the breeze whipping up, but it is usually taken as a nice refreshment from the otherwise hot and humid weather they see for most of the year.
As for North Florida, yeah, it gets just as hot there (if not hotter), but it DOES get cold a lot more frequently than one would think. It will get below freezing in places like Panama City, Tallahassee and Jacksonville at LEAST once a year. It can get pretty chilly in Orlando, too. Doesn't last too long, so if you can handle a few days of cold temps then have at it.

Otherwise, Honolulu was a good suggestion earlier. Hawaii is an expensive place to live though. Quite a bit to sacrifice for warmer weather IMO.

As for me, I LOVE the cold weather. Perhaps I love it because it isn't something I see for most of the year since I live in Georgia. Even after a bad snow and ice storm last winter that kept everyone in doors for two weeks, I still take it all in stride! I got out in it and loved every minute of it. I also enjoy visiting my friends in Buffalo during winter months as well. Driven through near white out conditions in West Virginia on the way up there and haven't had any issues. As long as one takes it slow and doesn't make any sudden fast movements, you're fine! Anyway, I've gotten off subject, but you got my point. Good luck!
the distinction between key west and say, fort lauderdale is not much at all. florida is good

Old 01-07-2012, 10:53 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,820,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcaribbean View Post
I notice that it bothers me the most out of the people that live here. I'm freezing. I'm in Richmond. I can't STAND the weather. It's in the thirties and it's ridiculous. You can't even go outside. It's literally painful... some people have tolerance for it but I don't. I want warmth and sunshine again. I'm 19.

Why would anyone want to live in a climate like this? I can't believe people live up in Pennsylvania, New York, New England, mid-west, Minnesota, Canada.......... I want warm, warm, warm, year round. The cold air burns your face and makes your nose red. It's miserable... why would anyone want to put up with this?

absolutely nothing below 50 degrees!
because jobs, schools, quality of life, the rest of the year, etc. make it worthwhile. Enjoy living where the weather takes you...

Old 01-07-2012, 10:54 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,820,974 times
Quote:
I notice that it bothers me the most out of the people that live here. I'm freezing. I'm in Richmond. I can't STAND the weather. It's in the thirties and it's ridiculous. You can't even go outside. It's literally painful... some people have tolerance for it but I don't. I want warmth and sunshine again. I'm 19.

Why would anyone want to live in a climate like this? I can't believe people live up in Pennsylvania, New York, New England, mid-west, Minnesota, Canada.......... I want warm, warm, warm, year round. The cold air burns your face and makes your nose red. It's miserable... why would anyone want to put up with this?

absolutely nothing below 50 degrees!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
You think 30 is bad? Try Minneapolis, some winters people are in shorts when it gets above 30.
Try Cleveland....some people are in shorts when it gets above 40......I saw it yesterday.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:32 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,922,186 times
Quote:
the distinction between key west and say, fort lauderdale is not much at all. florida is good
What are you referring to? There are actually big differences depending on what you're talking about.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:13 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,935,291 times
You should be careful when recomending a place like Phoenix because it's sorta on the opposite end of the spectrum. One can not like cold but that doesn't mean they'll take to the searing heat of the Arizona desert.

It depends. Do you want moderate, "comfortable" year-round weather? There's only ONE city for that: San Diego, CA.

Something similar to San Diego but with more "defined" seasons? Los Angeles, Long Beach...

Being from Richmond, I'm sure the OP is already used to OPPRESSIVE humidity , how about Atlanta (though it can still get cold there), Miami, Jacksonville, Orlando, Houston, DFW*...

*Here's the thing with sunbelt cities EAST of the Rockies: There is nothing stopping the flow of cold Canadian air from moving south during winter. Often times those cities (yes even Miami) can get quite chilly despite their warm weather reputations. Also, severe weather is more common in those areas too. Those are things to consider...

If you want heat, how about...Phoenix, Las Vegas, El Paso.

Maybe you like the Heat but want a beach and cool coastal weather to experience once in a while during summer...how about parts of the LA Area? like the San Gabriel Valley, San Fernando Valley, Inland Empire...

There are many different places. And no two climates are the same, even among warm weather cities.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:26 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,864,339 times
Come out to the Sonoran Desert and fry with us.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:40 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,036,771 times
Quote:
Why would anyone want to live in a climate like this?
Believe or not, some of us like cold. Everyone has their own personal preferences. I agree with the other guy, having the same thing all year round gets boring.
Come down here where I live, it stays generally mild most of the year. Sure it gets down to 50 during the winter nights, but that's not too bad right?

Old 05-16-2012, 10:44 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,930,897 times
I'm in Phoenix. 105 today, with humidity down around 5%. Feels like 80 degrees felt back out east (I would have NEVER believed 105 could have felt so good). Heck, I was outside all day today, and felt just fine wearing jeans. Shorts aren't going to come out until it's closer to 110 or 115.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.