Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 08:54 AM

11 posts, read 32,457 times

Advertisements

Almost everywhere in the U.S., except parts of the Pacific NW, it has very sunny climate. I lived in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Denver in America, as well as lived in Western and Southern Europe.

Whereever you go, even during middle of winter and being cold, almost any American city is has plenty of sunshine, compared to most of Europe and many other parts of the world. I like that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 08:57 AM

10,742 posts, read 23,795,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Lee View Post
Almost everywhere in the U.S., except parts of the Pacific NW, it has very sunny climate. I lived in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Denver in America, as well as lived in Western and Southern Europe.

Whereever you go, even during middle of winter and being cold, almost any American city is has plenty of sunshine, compared to most of Europe and many other parts of the world. I like that!
Do you think the gloomy climate of Northern Europe has an effect on their mentality compared to the places you've lived in the US?

Old 01-05-2012, 02:00 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,543,904 times
I have relatives in Europe who have had clinical depression because of the near endless cloudy winters. I can't stand it there. At least in the US, cold weather climates have a fair amount of sunshine to counteract the cold.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:43 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
This is a nice map of the annual sunshine rates in the U.S. The Northeast and Great Lakes are as cloudy over a larger area than the PNW it seems. The difference is the sunny days are sprinkled in throughout the year in the Northeast while the PNW sees months and months on end of clouds followed by a long, dry sunny summer.

HowStuffWorks "Maps of United States Annual Sunshine"

Unfortunately I could not easily find a similar map of Europe.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:50 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,437,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Do you think the gloomy climate of Northern Europe has an effect on their mentality compared to the places you've lived in the US?
I've always wondered the same thing.
I believe if I lived in Europe with gloomy skies all the time I would be more depressed yet I would be more intellectual.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:48 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,857,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
It does for me. I am SO SICK of English weather, it's so depressing. Sometimes, I think it's just because I'm American and didn't grow up with it but all the UK citizens around me complain about it too. The last time it was sunny and above 70 F, I noticed how everyone will excitedly exclaim about how nice the weather is, as though it's a rare treat they can't help but talk about... which, of course, it is!

Old 01-07-2012, 07:55 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
The southern and south-central USA is too sunny for me because the sun angle is more direct,therefore more UVA. I prefer locales along and northward of 40N latitude overall. Granted, I do not prefer cloudy climates at higher latitudes, particularly winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.